• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

funeral attire

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I attended two separate memorial services yesterday, and the attire was quite varied. Some of the men were wearing the traditional black suit with a muted (though not black) tie, but others wore an odd jacket, and some were in still more casual clothing.

It seems to me that what was more significant to the grieving families than the attire of the attendees was their presence and their rembrances.

BTW, It should perhaps also be mentioned that both of the deceased were mathematicians, and we are not generally known for our sartorial intelligence.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the misfortune to attend five funerals or memorial services in the past year and a half. Three of them were for people I was very close to--my mother-in-law and two of my closest friends. At least in Southern Californa, almost any "respectful" attire, e.g, coat and tie, would seem more than acceptible. Many men these days, at least in my part of the world, will attend a funeral tie-less and even coat-less. For the three more "formal" funerals I wore my midnight blue Chan suit with a dark blue Charvet tie to my mother-in-law's. I wore a dark charcoal pinstripe and a blue tie to a beloved neighbor's. To the third I wore a the same dark charcoal pinstripe and a black tie. I thought the black tie might be more appropriate since it was an Italian funeral. The deceased's name was Al Capone! (Well, actually "Al" was a nickname. He was a very highly respected gunsmith.) White shirt and black shoes every time. I don't recall ever seeing a black suit at any of the five events.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not wear a black shirt to ANY event - including a a funeral.

Best advice - dark charcoal suit, white shirt (poplin, broadcloth, oxford) black tie grenadine, black shoes.

If black is unavailable for these items, use deep navy - except for the shoes.

stach

Reaction score
I went to a Ukranian Orthodox funeral in NYC last week and almost everyone was in black. I was suprised but I guess it is a very traditional order. I wore off white and I felt somewhat out of place. I wore a black coat and slacks for the viewing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads