• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fresco Suit for Humid Summer - French-faced or Bemberg Front?

Sir Kurokodairu

Reaction score
I'm planning to get a suit made with a Fresco III fabric, in either 9oz or 9/10oz, for the upcoming summer in Hong Kong, where it gets hot (up to 35 C in June) and very humid. I don't endeavor to put on the jacket at the peak of the heat, but hope to make the suit as cool as possible, given a fabric weight of reasonable drape, so I can at least endeavor, when in need of formality, to put on the suit sooner when I enter indoors or take it off later when exit, and also so I can wear it outdoors more on less-hot days (below 30 C).

I'm pretty much determined to line the sleeves and upper back (butterfly/quarter-circles) with Bemberg/Cupro, since these two areas are quite essential. However, I'm on the fence on whether to line the front with Bemberg or with the Fresco fabric itself (self-lined / French-faced), as I'm wondering if a French-faced front would be cooler. I've had a suit made in Dormeuil's Tropical Amadeus (8 oz) with the front French-faced, whose frontal area felt considerably warmer than one made with Kerry Knoll, Summon, Collection 231 (7 oz) with the front lined with Bemberg. Both fabrics were high-twist and quite see-through. I'm not sure if the extra warmth was due to the 1 extra oz, due to the fact that it was self-lined, or due to other reasons. I've also read that self-lined can be cooler depending on the fabric, and I wonder if Fresco would be cooler self-lined.

1) So, do you think a Fresco 9/10 oz suit would be cooler self-lined/French-faced in the front or lined with Bemberg?
2) Anyone know if the Fresco III's 9/10 oz fabric might actually be cooler than their 9 oz? Judging by the swatch book, the 9/10 oz is actually more see-through, despite being heavier.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use lining. Splitting hairs with the weight differences. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely lining. French faced would put more material over your chest, exactly where you would want less...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads