• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for L'Ami Jean. Great food, great atmosphere (speaking from dinner experience only).

In the fine-dining segment, you can check out A.T. They do not have any stars, though one might argue they should. Atsushi Tanaka is a fine chef.
thank you I will keep all of this in mind when I travel to Paris again next year (hopefully) with the wife.

abkain

Reaction score
thanks you so much for the detailed response - much appreciate.

I have emailed Le Cinq already and I am waiting on a response but it appears that due to COVID Alain Ducasse at Le Maurice and Le Cinq do not offer lunch but only dinner - at least that’s what the opening times suggest on their website but I remain hopeful.

L’Arpege has been on my bucket list for many years but unfortunately they have no more reservations available for lunch. Maybe I should email if they accommodate me anyway. Also, I can’t get over the horrendous experience one of the Eater reviewers had there but of course still want to try it: https://www.eater.com/2016/10/19/13322232/paris-larpege-alain-passard-vegetables

I will check out L’Ambroisie now and all the great suggestions as well - thank you

EDIT: scored a reservation at L’Ambroisie - super excited can’t wait thank you for the suggestion.

Fantastic! I think you’ll havea great time there.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I think you can do better than La Tour D’Argent, which has been past its prime for several years (particularly if you are into wine - since they sold off their legendary collection a few years ago). The view at LTD is still epic though.

Not sure if Le Cinq still offers lunch (edit: it does) but it is was firing on all cylinders last time I was there (in 2019). Chef Le Squer is one of the best in Paris (he used to cook at Ledoyen and brought over some of his iconic dishes like the vertical pasta dish that was a hallmark of his technical ability). Le Cinq is in the hotel George V (Four Seasons) so be aware that it could have a little bit of that hotel crowd (meaning diners that are not necessarily into food) but the space is pretty and grand, if that is what you like.

If you are looking at 3 star Michelin restaurants then I will have to mention L’Arpege for Chef Passard’s amazing skill with vegetables (this was the first big restaurant in Paris to go all vegetarian over a dozen years ago before bringing back lamb, fish and fowl into the menu).

The most decadent of all the three stars is L’Ambroisie, which is one of the last remaining important restaurants serving Nouvelle cuisine (think of classic haute French cuisine with rich cream sauces and butter before the new wave of molecular gastronomy or more stripped down preparations going on around the city). L’Ambroisie still uses an oven (and for more than just heating plates). It is a real gem with the head chef (Chef Pacaud) in the kitchen every day/night putting his heart and soul into the food. Place is a la carte only (also a rarity for this level of restaurant) . It is obscenely expensive however, so kind of a bucket list type place.

All three of the above are open for lunch.

I will let the Paris locals chime in for the smaller bistronomique places that tend to change often. In that category, I have enjoyed Chez L’Ami Jean, Le Regalade Saint Honore, and Frenchie (there are many more).

Enjoy!
I support your recommendation for L'Ambroisie. My wife and I had our umpteenth anniversary celebratory dinner there in September. Very attentive, not pretentious, service (not pushing you to over-consume: we had over-ordered and the Maître d' pointed out that, unless we had Gargantuan appetites, we could not eat it all...), superb dishes (go for the classic ones, why not), an encyclopaedic wine list with many affordable bottles (ask them and do not hesitate to tell them about your price range), a refined, classical but not overwhelming decor. We will be thinking of pretexts to go back. Since it is à la carte, you could easily get away with one main dish and a pud, with two glasses of wine, or a half bot and a glass, without breaking the bank.
...and it is within walking distance!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I support your recommendation for L'Ambroisie. My wife and I had our umpteenth anniversary celebratory dinner there in September. Very attentive, not pretentious, service (not pushing you to over-consume: we had over-ordered and the Maître d' pointed out that, unless we had Gargantuan appetites, we could not eat it all...), superb dishes (go for the classic ones, why not), an encyclopaedic wine list with many affordable bottles (ask them and do not hesitate to tell them about your price range), a refined, classical but not overwhelming decor. We will be thinking of pretexts to go back. Since it is à la carte, you could easily get away with one main dish and a pud, with two glasses of wine, or a half bot and a glass, without breaking the bank.
...and it is within walking distance!
I read a review from 2017 and they had 95 Lafite and and some Montrachet unsure which producer by the glass. It it wasn’t super crazy priced.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we have been drifting off into Paris restaurant recommendations (totally my fault) wanted to bring this thread back on track with a CdL jacket I really like and found on IG - anyone know /can guess the fabric ?

Attachments

• D419AEB0-8306-4C1B-B6AB-E53DCCF81919.jpeg
    D419AEB0-8306-4C1B-B6AB-E53DCCF81919.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 621

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Since we have been drifting off into Paris restaurant recommendations (totally my fault) wanted to bring this thread back on track with a CdL jacket I really like and found on IG - anyone know /can guess the fabric ?
That’s Brandon Chau. You could probably ask him on social media. His fits made me really want a Panama hat.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I read a review from 2017 and they had 95 Lafite and and some Montrachet unsure which producer by the glass. It it wasn’t super crazy priced.
They have lesser names at more reasonable prices (It's all relative, of course). Ask to be guided and let them know of your constraints. No shame attached and they understand. Burgundy, in particular, is very complex.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have lesser names at more reasonable prices (It's all relative, of course). Ask to be guided and let them know of your constraints. No shame attached and they understand. Burgundy, in particular, is very complex.
I’m sure they do but if I can try big names by the glass I’m not going to pass up the opportunity but I did read that they have unpretentious service - should be a great lunch.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the inevitable happened and I decided to cancel my europe trip at least UPS literally delivered my copy of swan songs after I canceled everything. cant wait to read it. @RJman

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the inevitable happened and I decided to cancel my europe trip at least UPS literally delivered my copy of swan songs after I canceled everything. cant wait to read it. @RJman
Thank you for your kind words, even if I am sorry that you were not able to travel. Hope all is well and that you are able to tread the streets of our favorite makers again soon. It goes without saying that I will be delighted to know your reactions, even if my friends have made a habit of assailing my mediocre photography skills.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words, even if I am sorry that you were not able to travel. Hope all is well and that you are able to tread the streets of our favorite makers again soon. It goes without saying that I will be delighted to know your reactions, even if my friends have made a habit of assailing my mediocre photography skills.
will reply back once I get to read it this weekend. excited !!!!!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the trip. I was really hoping to see some pictures of your Berluti shoes and maybe some CdL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads