1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

French cuffs okay for a job interview? (legal)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mister Bateman, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mrhills0146

mrhills0146 Well-Known Member

...question of cufflinks, which glares in the employer's face like fiery signals-- in a handshake, cufflinks will most certainly be noticed...

I disagree, and will now bow out of this thread and remain happy that I am not an attorney if this is the kind of nonsense that hiring partners even notice, let alone act on.

2. Ideefixee

Ideefixee Senior member

I disagree, and will now bow out of this thread and remain happy that I am not an attorney if this is the kind of nonsense that hiring partners even notice, let alone act on.

... Never said it was a sole determining factor. There are lots of factors when placing your trust in a complete stranger about whom you know nothing, save for what he's wearing.

3. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

Giant gold sailboats for the links will say, "Admiral, hire me."

- B

you really really like those cufflinks, huh? Maybe he'll sell them to you if the price is right, or you can do an exchange; all those ae seconds are a valuable currency around these parts...

4. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Oh for Christsakes!

How about sizing up skills, intellect, and personality rather than whether the guy is wearing French cuffs? The type of cuffs a candidate wears has about as much to do with whether he is trying to dress like a managing director as the brand of toothpaste he uses in the morning.

Please. Some us prefer tooth powder.

[​IMG]

5. Mister Bateman

Mister Bateman New Member

+1 spot-on!

What is it with all these interview clothing threads? Applying for an entry level position (intern in this thread), but wants to dress like a partner. I would think the ego comes across in the interview. Frankly I *ding* all the people who come to an entry-level (or junior-level) interview trying to dress like a partner or managing director. That type of personality won't fit in unless it's an unconventional firm. It shows to me that you have an over inflated sense of self-worth and won't be happy with entry-level tasks. This would not be a problem I want to deal with considering the job market (especially among JDs), when there are so many others to choose from. Why take the risk?

I am assuming you interned last year. What was your first summer job like? Did the entry-levels/ interns wear french cuffs?

Dress is certainly part of the professionalism score. However it is normally not viewed negatively unless you do something departing far from what is expected for that said level and company culture.

In Vancouver the law students don't intern first year, only second year (called "summer articling" as well instead of "interning"). It's essentially an extended job interview, as the firms look to hire from their second year summer students.

I wouldn't normally be stressing this hard, but I dropped the ball on exams last year and ended up as a marginal candidate. As such, I have only 2 OCIs (On-Campus-Interviews) which are essentially a 17-minute "speed date" style pre-interview. If you do well on the OCI, they invite you in for a regular interview. Thus the anxiety about dress, since 17 minutes is a short enough time that the first impression (ie. dress/looks/attitude) will likely play a LARGE role in whether I get a second interview. And if I don't get a second interview, I don't get a job. That's a big opportunity for $$ lost out on, plus meaning I spend the rest of this/next year worrying about getting an articling position.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. My final decision is to play it safe and avoid the cufflinks for the interview. As people pointed out, it'd likely be neutral or negative, so better to play it safe considering I've already gone and purchased myself a somewhat pretentious suit that will be substantially more expensive than what the majority of my peers will be wearing. Second interview...well that's another thread :p

6. Weich77

Weich77 Senior member

Depends your examination official

7. Natty Gent

Natty Gent Member