• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I approve of the handwriting. Nicely done.

Funny thing is, I haven't written (wrote?) in cursive for a really long while! Will definitively take some time getting used to it!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wandered into a pen shop here in Turin and bought an Omas AM 87 in the brown briar wood. Fantastic nib. I got a small 'sconto' but probably still paid more than internet price. The shop keeper seemed like a nice guy and let me try all sorts of Omas pens.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wandered into a pen shop here in Turin and bought an Omas AM 87 in the brown briar wood. Fantastic nib. I got a small 'sconto' but probably still paid more than internet price. The shop keeper seemed like a nice guy and let me try all sorts of Omas pens.

Well worth paying extra. There's an art supply store in San Francisco, Flax is the name, that carries an extensive amount of fountain pens, ink, and paper - it's of course more expensive, but it is essential to buy from stores and shops like this so you can continue to have access to the experience and knowledge that such shops provide.

Nick de Sylva

Reaction score
Waterman makes fine pens, pencils, roller-balls and ball point. Black lacquer with gold costs about $75-150 but I have mine for about 10 years and they still get compliments.
Makes my signature even more bold than it already is with the fountain pen and roller ball. I rate them better than Monte Blanc.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I write pretty much exclusively with FPs, though I did rock a Kickstarter campaign for a nice aluminum body to hold G2 refills.

Collection of Fountain Pens include:
- Lamy 2000 Stainless
- Lamy 2000 with modified italic nib (Richard Bender)
- Pelikan M605 (red / sterling, Japan Ed.)
- Pelikan M805 (Stresmann)
- Pilot / Namiki Vanishing Point (Black-Out Ed.)
- Montegrappa (sterling)
- Yard-o-Led Grand Viceroy (sterling)
- Various older Waterman pens

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well worth paying extra. There's an art supply store in San Francisco, Flax is the name, that carries an extensive amount of fountain pens, ink, and paper - it's of course more expensive, but it is essential to buy from stores and shops like this so you can continue to have access to the experience and knowledge that such shops provide.

Sam Flax is good stuff. There's one across from my office. I should update my collection with a pic.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iroshizuku Shin-Kai and Syo-Ro are my favorite inks. How do you like the Pilot Justus, Metranger?

BenLeaman

Reaction score
Oh fun! I suppose @tifosi and I could add into this thread. If only I could figure out why I suddenly cannot post pictures directly from my mobile :/

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iroshizuku Shin-Kai and Syo-Ro are my favorite inks. How do you like the Pilot Justus, Metranger?

I'll have to try that ink. I also bought Take-Sumi which is very nice.

I love the pen though. It is my first FP....

As you may know, you can adjust the nib from a stiffer one to a soft one as there is a an adjuster ring above the nib which controls a gold sliding bar that glides over the nib.
Also, the Ink converter is a cool, pump, vacuum-like converter.

After doing a lot of research, and working with a FP afficionado, I picked this up at a crazy good price on Amazon. $215(+ got the expedited shipping from Japan).

The ink flows very well at any position. At the soft setting, you can get line deviations in thickness which is very nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads