• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster & Sons ready made shoes thread

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the weakening of the USD sucks. I find that I'm paying a good $150 more for a pair these days than I did a year ago. Still at historic highs but that goes to tell you how even small changes to the exchange rates can affect one's decision whether to buy or not. I sure hope this trend doesn't continue.

Isn't it more "normal" now, the USD have been unusually strong compared to most other currencies.

How many English shoe brands have emerged after 1980? And how many are there since around 100 years?

What I say is that it is a saturated market and starting from zero is not impossible but very difficult.

I would really like to know how brands like Tricker's or Cheaney are doing. I wish them all the best but I think we will see more brands disappear than brands emerging.

Interestingly enough many of these 100+ years old "brands" have only been actual "brands" for much shorter time. The factories and companies have been around long, but it's in many cases a smaller part of its history that they actually been doing and promoting their own stuff to a larger extent, most have been mainly OEM manufacturers for the larger parts of the 20th century. As an example we can take Alfred Sargent, where the company was started in 1899, but the brand Alfred Sargent wasn't registered until the 1970's, and took time before they were established as such.

Let's just say that Fosters and Sargent aren't the only ones who are struggling, sadly. Hence why I like to focus on things from a perspective of how one can help the classic shoe industry, rather than trying hard to find reasons why one shouldn't purchase a certain brand.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I see the debate is still whether these shoes are worth trying at 50% off. How many of you would be willing to pay almost $1100 with import tax and all for this pair?

I don't think so.

You can't compare this to G&G. G&G is unique in so many ways and whether you like it or not that's another story. But if you like them, you get something for your money. (other than the boring, meaningless 'best leather there is on the planet', 'leather stiffeners', 'heel built up by hand outside attached'<-(what on Earth does that even mean, that heel looks ugly as h*ll) etc.)

Give them hell :sly:

TokenMao

Reaction score
Give them hell :sly:

I just bought these yesterday. It's no surprise to me that black captoe oxfords aren't selling well when majority of office workers have been wfh for the past year and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, but at < $500 USD they're a great option if you're in the market for that style.

sforum1

Reaction score
Somebody should buy this:

Say compared to the EG Malvern and G&G Rothschild, I'd take this any day of the week, especially when you consider the discount. I really wish they were my size.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out how good these look

Earthy tweeds

View attachment 1561127

With grey flannel, tan cav twill, or taupe whipcord trousers

View attachment 1561129 View attachment 1561128

And then either the EG Dover or the Foster Keble. No red undertones in the shoes! Conservative last. Square waist. No crazy internet menswear details. Just tasteful. The lack of red undertones allows you to easily wear these with the outfit above.

View attachment 1561130

G&G's split toe in vintage oak is also nice, but has just a hint of red. Color is warmer. I prefer the colder hue in the two options above.

View attachment 1561132

So then if you're looking at all three shoes -- G&G, EG, and Foster -- and they're all above $1,000, maybe you want the most affordable of these three.

There are other good split toes out there. Some are much cheaper and that's OK too. Something for everyone. You don't have to buy the "best in class" or "the best shoe on the planet." Doesn't have to be super unique and maximizes every red cent. Can just be a cool shoe that fits and looks good in outfits.

Are these your own sport coats or just examples?

Boggis

Reaction score
Very few sizes left unfortunately (only very small or large, with some minor exceptions)
My large feet have left me very tempted by quite a few of their offerings, but having already bought two pairs of shoes elsewhere this month I'm going to exercise some restraint.

...I might still crack though.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought these yesterday. It's no surprise to me that black captoe oxfords aren't selling well when majority of office workers have been wfh for the past year and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, but at < $500 USD they're a great option if you're in the market for that style.
What is the regular width for Foster? E or F?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On one of the topics discussed the previous pages, I think few brands were so clear in writing out many of their specifications as F&S with their RTW. This is the list of the basic range, found on all product descriptions:
  • Oak bark tanned leather sole (tanned for 12 months)
  • Upper cut by hand from best area of hide
  • Upper reinforced with leather side lining
  • Leather stiffeners
  • Upper sewing at 13spi
  • all upper sewing performed on a single needle machine
  • Insole and stiffeners cut from the best quality shoulder
  • Lasted by hand
  • Cork filling with Beech wood shank
  • Channel opened by hand
  • Heels built up on shoe by hand (outside attached)
  • Edges of sole and heel hand stained and polished
  • Hand seat wheeled
  • Hand top-ironed
  • Upper hand burnished and dressed
  • Finger polished by hand
And there several things were real "usps" compared to other premium brands (EG, G&G, JLP), marked with bold, since none of the others for exempel also have toe stiffeners in leather, and all use pre-built heels.

Problem here is, for almost everyone this doesn't mean anything, they don't understand that it is something that set F&S apart (I believe few SFers know, bear in mind the "general" "high-end office worker"/menswear/shoe guy who looked at buying their shoes). They would have to not only state what they did, but also that some of it their competitors didn't and what these things mean for the final shoe, and then that you'd get it at a lower price (for basic range).

I agree with the statement that basic range was underpriced, the plan would likely have been to put them there to attract some of the C&J HG, EG, JLP classic etc customers and have them try this now when new, and understand how good they were and spread the word, while the F&S top range was priced as should, hence the steap leap in price between the two ranges.

Quite interesting to read Church's "spec list" for a model from the Crown range, and compare it to Fosters. All know aimed at different people, but sure think both could learn a bit from each other here :)

• Crown collection
• Full brogue lace-up with perforated broguing details
• Masai calf with natural finish
• Leather piping to upper
• Additional internal lining for longevity of wear
• Silk stitch detail to lining
• Stained leather sole with covered in channel stitching
• London waist
• Handwritten shoe info to inner vamp
• Leather laces
• Blind eyelets
• Last 148
• Goodyear construction
• Vintage Church's crest to sock and sole
• Custom box with alcantara lining and leather shoe kit
• Cedar shoe trees to retain shape and absorb moisture
• Made in Northampton, England

sforum1

Reaction score
Quite interesting to read Church's "spec list" for a model from the Crown range, and compare it to Fosters. All know aimed at different people, but sure think both could learn a bit from each other here :)

• Crown collection
• Full brogue lace-up with perforated broguing details
• Masai calf with natural finish
• Leather piping to upper
• Additional internal lining for longevity of wear
• Silk stitch detail to lining
• Stained leather sole with covered in channel stitching
• London waist
• Handwritten shoe info to inner vamp
• Leather laces
• Blind eyelets
• Last 148
• Goodyear construction
• Vintage Church's crest to sock and sole
• Custom box with alcantara lining and leather shoe kit
• Cedar shoe trees to retain shape and absorb moisture
• Made in Northampton, England
Where can one buy those? I could not find them on the website.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TokenMao

Reaction score
Just came today, very pleased for what was effectively $500 USD. Granted I probably won’t actually wear these for at least a few more months.

8A8A1626-BC86-4D53-950C-64F5381C8F8E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads