• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster & Son shoe quality

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be in London next week. Last time I was walking through Jermyn St, I checked Foster & Son and there were a few pair that grabbed my attention. I'm thinking of buying them this time. Anyone can comment on the quality and compare with the other makers.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
I'll be in London next week. Last time I was walking through Jermyn St, I checked Foster & Son and there were a few pair that grabbed my attention. I'm thinking of buying them this time. Anyone can comment on the quality and compare with the other makers.

I can't speak to the entire line, but the Foster & Sons ready to wear I have is a balmoral boot made for them by Crockett & Jones. It is from the handgrade line at C&J. I don't know who makes the rest of their line, though I suspect it is C&J.

The also have bespoke from Henry Maxwell I believe.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The expensive stuff is made by EG.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The gentleman in the shop is very nice..
He will show you some vety old bespoke shoes on display with beautiful patinas...
Some are even pre-1970...
For the RTW , do not have a clue..

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you desire Foster's bespoke, then I will be of little assistance

If you desire Foster's new RTW line, then you are purchasing shoes/boots built by Edward Green yet merely re-badeged with Foster's name. They use EG lasts "only" available to Foster's, although Sara mentioned the client can order a shoe on any other EG last. With the numerous lasts and changes available through EG's MTO and Top Drawer program, I can't see why someone would order from Foster's, especially if their was an upcharge to just have it re-badged as a Foster's.

Just last week, I asked Sara if they would consider a semi-bespoke line where most of their bespoke designs are available, the shoe's leather upper would be made by Fosters and then shipped to EG to be completed and mated with one of EG's lasts. I also asked if for an extra fee, their black fading would be an available option, yet have not heard back from them. Sara was interested but unsure if EG on the other end would be willing to do this.

Since Foster's bespoke shoes start at around $3000, a semi-bespoke shoe for less than half would be a nice alternative considering it would give the client access to Foster's/Maxwell's portfolio of designs...and possibly a better selection of leathers than available through EG.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both bespoke and rtw from Fosters.

Their bespoke is of the quality you would expect at the price you are paying and those who have bespoke from more than one maker (not me) have found their colouration and finishing ahead of the other London makers. Terry Moore is still there as far as I know and reputedly the best last-maker in town.

Their rtw is made by C&J and EG and priced at different levels the C&J being the cheaper obviously. Some of their styles are unique to them but I have only bought rtw from them in the sales (black suede veldt and balmoral boot).

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the info. I'm glad I asked about this before my trip because as a clueless person about shoes, I had the impression that they make the RTW shoes themselves.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Could someone confirm Foster's bespoke prices (2000 £ ?, 3000 £ ?)? Does that include VAT? Does it include shoe trees?

Thank you.

Frog in Suit

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price is around $3000 starting...and does not include their special fading on black leather, does not include shoe trees. If you order in the U.S. while they are visiting...no VAT either

Cornellian

Reaction score
I don't own a pair and I use another maker, but...

Last week while in London I stopped in for a visit. Very friendly staff (showed me the last room) and some good-looking shoes.

Yes, Terry Moore is still there and comes in a few days a week, but is training several young women to make lasts.

Anyway, nice people...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Normally , the bespoke market is more based on a deeper relationship with the customer than a simple transaction..
Sorry to generalize , but a bespoke customer needs that great customer service to commit ..
A bespoke project is like a child we nurture for months before crossing the Rubicon..
My best conversations were with bespoke operations because we do share the same passion for a finished product which is more than a mere functional pair of shoes.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone on AAAC claims to have seen loads of empty shoe boxes from Alfred Sargent being thrown out behind Fosters.

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Someone on AAAC claims to have seen loads of empty shoe boxes from Alfred Sargent being thrown out behind Fosters.

Can someone follow-up on the quality of Foster & Son RTW. I just spoke with them today, and they emailed me quite a few photos of shoes, many of which, to be honest , were not all that impressive. They certainly bore no resemblance to any C&J or EG that I know. Should I be asking for something in particular?

jon5986

Reaction score
I don't really know where they get the shoes made. Some have said C&J....some have said Edward Green and now someone is saying Alfred Sargent. What does it really matter? As long as the buyer likes the shoes/designs and they are happy with the quality, why should one be so concerned with which maker is doing them.

Maybe Edward Green is making part of the shoe but on Fosters lasts and with Fosters leathers......Therefore, I would say that is a fosters shoe.

If one really knows and understands good quality, they will look at the shoe and buy it if they like it.....

Just my thought........

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads