• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster and Son

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Nail pattern says C&J. Description says its C&J (337 last).

2) C&J does not stock this particular semi-brogue in 337 last. this is custom made for F&S. montrose is another fine example.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

masterphotog

Reaction score
The shoe is by Crockett & Jones. I don't understand your second question.
Why get a C&J shoe from Foster and Son rather than getting a C&J shoe. Does C&J do something different to shoes made for other retailers? Why not just get the C&J shoe rather than having the shoe made for a retailer for them to simply put their name on it?

In other words.... if this is an accurate description of what's going on: If a camera store named Campbells sells cameras, but Nikon is making the camera and Campbells is simply putting their name on it, why not just get the camera from Nikon?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes made for retailers follow the retailer's specifications. It can be from no change, to just colors/materials, to leather grade, to exclusive lasts, etc.

For example, my best fiting C&J last is 330, which is sold only by Ben Silver and (older) Tom James. So I would buy from them them instead of C&J.

Macallan

Reaction score
Some shoes are made only for Foster, so it can depend on what pair your prefer; e.g. EG or EG for Foster. Your choice could based on design, shade, and or fit.

In terms of price, it depends at what price you can find C&J and EG shoes. C&J Handgrades are about £450 at full retail, so if made to that quality, it will not make a difference if you purchase C&J or C&J for Foster shoes. I have seen some EG made shoes, £100 more expensive at Foster compared to EG's price for a similar pair of shoes (but why save £100 if the shoes do not fit properly or you do not like the colour).

Someone may prefer to go to Foster rather than C&J and or EG, because they prefer the service or they may already be a Foster customer.

Last edited:

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

Why get a C&J shoe from Foster and Son rather than getting a C&J shoe.  Does C&J do something different to shoes made for other retailers?  Why not just get the C&J shoe rather than having the shoe made for a retailer for them to simply put their name on it?

In other words.... if this is an accurate description of what's going on:  If a camera store named Campbells sells cameras, but Nikon is making the camera and Campbells is simply putting their name on it, why not just get the camera from Nikon?

In the case of technology, the Nikon camera that you buy at Best Buy is the same that you would buy at B & H Camera.

In the case of shoes, a retailer might carry stocklist Edward Green or Crockett & Jones. Therefore, one Humphrey 707 on the 999 last is the same from shop to shop. Yes, some retailers merely stick their name on the label although it is the identical shoe being sold elsewhere.

However, that high-end retailers and those with custom operations (e.g, Cleverley and Foster), have the manufacturer make-up shoes on lasts or in models exclusive to that retailer. This is so for Cleverley for its RTW and MTO shoes.

It is also possible that the retailer may order a higher grade of leather or more or different hand work.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1 to that

I did enquire once about a pair of Richard James shoes when I was in C&J.

I was told that they were "half way" between handgrade and benchgrade which just goes to show that it all depends on the retailers specifications.

BTW pretty sure the boots are made at C&J.

azumi

Reaction score
BTW pretty sure the boots are made at C&J.
Well, I think so, too. Because it looks exactly the same as the C&J Cottesmore in appearance, but do not know what is the main differences between the two boots, may be leather quality, or sole ( I hope the F&S is Oak bark leather soles) etc.

joeninety

Reaction score
ive noticed that the leather used on my crockett and jones for foster and son is better than my crockett and jones handgrades. maybe that explains why they charge more at foster and son

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
At £575 - these boots are 100% made by C&J's...

Go to Cleverley's and pick up their boots for £475 - also made by C&J's

Any of Fosters EG made shoes will set you back £680 +

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At £575 - these boots are 100% made by C&J's...

Go to Cleverley's and pick up their boots for £475 - also made by C&J's

Any of Fosters EG made shoes will set you back £680 +

£680? I thought it was more than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads