• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Hamilton gave a car's length on the outside (unlike Nico in Spain), but Ricciardo assumed that Hamilton would go further outside.

Technically, he did cut the chicane, but when other drivers made the same move in this race and past years to defend position there has never been a penalty that I recall of the top of my head...on the other hand, when you pass then cut the chicane they usually give out a penalty unless you give back the position.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ricciardo sensibly backed out making the correct assumption, but Lewis didn't in Spain.

Cutting that chicane to pass is the same as cutting it to defend position. I'm not sure what the rules are exactly about that, but it seems logical that you'd need to give up the place.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ricciardo sensibly backed out making the correct assumption, but Lewis didn't in Spain.

Cutting that chicane to pass is the same as cutting it to defend position. I'm not sure what the rules are exactly about that, but it seems logical that you'd need to give up the place.

or you could say that Hamilton sensibly left a car width on the outside knowing Ricciardo would be there, but Rosberg didn't leave any room in Spain despite knowing Hamilton would be coming.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moto2 rider Luis Salom died on track yesterday in a crash.

Nasty accident, the front of the bike washed out into a fast corner and they both slid at very high speed into the barrier.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Terrible. I read that they're going to use the F1 track layout for the rest of the weekend to take that corner out of the mix.

prozach1576

Reaction score
I am very excited to be heading up to Montreal this weekend to attend my first race. Anybody been to the Canadian GP before?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am very excited to be heading up to Montreal this weekend to attend my first race. Anybody been to the Canadian GP before?

I've been 4 times, but not in over a decade so I can't say how much the open seating tickets have been limited now.

The best place to sit is the hairpin.

It's great to spend a day, perhaps the Friday practices, wandering the track for different vantage points, then use your grandstand seat for Sat/Sunday.

prozach1576

Reaction score

I've been 4 times, but not in over a decade so I can't say how much the open seating tickets have been limited now.

The best place to sit is the hairpin.

It's great to spend a day, perhaps the Friday practices, wandering the track for different vantage points, then use your grandstand seat for Sat/Sunday.

My research indicated that general admission is essentially worthless in Canada because there are almost no views at all, and certainly no hills to sit on. I did indeed buy tickets in the hairpin.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My research indicated that general admission is essentially worthless in Canada because there are almost no views at all, and certainly no hills to sit on. I did indeed buy tickets in the hairpin.

Good, its the best spot.

Yeah, 10 of 15 years ago when I went there were plenty of places to sit with gen admission, that entire hill on the turn 1 / 2 complex was open seating. And you could find lots of spots in other areas.

F1 wants to grind every penny out of you with those outrageous ticket prices, and forcing everyone into a grandstand is a good way to do it.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been twice. Sat at the hairpin the first race, then did GA the 2nd race. The views aren't great but I prefer the freedom to move around and try different vantage points.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand why the smaller teams just don't quit? All this moaning, why bother? The big teams control the revenue and the rules, I wouldn't get involved. There is lots of racing to be had. Sauber would do a great DTM team, Formula E, or a host of other formats, or start their own. Somehow F1 either needs to run 4 or 5 team with 4 or 5 cars, or they make room for smaller teams to survive.

Watching smaller teams getting blue flagged to death, 4 seconds off the pace adds nothing.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ampaign=RSS-ALL&utm_term=News&utm_content=www

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they should distribute the money evenly, but at least they should distribute according to the Constructors Championship without any special added bonuses for history, etc.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think they should distribute the money evenly, but at least they should distribute according to the Constructors Championship without any special added bonuses for history, etc.

Maybe not 100% even, but right now 4 teams get 60% of the cash. You can't compete when you're fighting for the scraps. The other thing that strikes me as weird is that the money is also distributed based on what you did the last few years leading up to the current season.

prozach1576

Reaction score

Maybe not 100% even, but right now 4 teams get 60% of the cash. You can't compete when you're fighting for the scraps. The other thing that strikes me as weird is that the money is also distributed based on what you did the last few years leading up to the current season.

it's also insane that the big teams have an enormous amount of influence over the rules

of course the teams with windtunnels and infinite engineering and computational resources think the sport needs to be more aero-dependent!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't understand why the smaller teams just don't quit? All this moaning, why bother? The big teams control the revenue and the rules, I wouldn't get involved. There is lots of racing to be had. Sauber would do a great DTM team, Formula E, or a host of other formats, or start their own. Somehow F1 either needs to run 4 or 5 team with 4 or 5 cars, or they make room for smaller teams to survive.

WatcWatching smaller teams getting blue flagged to death, 4 seconds off the pace adds nothing.tp://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-no-longer-a-fair-competition-sauber-744537/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=RSS-ALL&utm_term=News&utm_content=www

Why quit? They want to be in F1 but under fairer terms. Perfectly fair demand.

On the bolded, Why are blue flagged cars suddenly a problem? f1 has always had slower cars well behind the pace. Not to mention they offer an opprtunity to give young promising drivers a spot in the sport.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavid20224