• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot has changed in F1 since the 1980s, many drivers are now representing large vehicle manufacturers who retail cars on the back of their success
(PR managers everywhere)

Red Bull sell fizzy energy drinks, it's not like they are going to lose the sale of a million £££££ of cars everytime their star driver calls somebody a w@nker

Ferrari have to try not upset the Tifosi/Italian sports media/Pope!!!!!

The traditional British Garagistas have taken a back seat for the past 15 years and are only now recovering (more open/honest and fun) but still need to be wary of title sponsors and engine suppliers

Then we have the "B" Teams (even more PR orientated as they want promotion)

Mechanical retirements are a lot less common so the odd DNF is not quite so drastic to a world championship

The cars are much safer in a crash and DRS makes it easier to pass, which in turn increases contact incidents

The drivers are superfit and possibly less emotional (less fights/crying)

Alonso is pretty savvy and knows how to manipulate the media

Raikkonen, good luck with that ?? (maybe Bottas can fill his boots??)

Schwazer

Reaction score
Vettel is probably the funniest especially after he left RBR.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Sky feed except for that everyone loves Jerry commercial. **** Jerry

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find this debate quite interesting given that I find athlete interaction and expressions of personality so refreshing in sports where media coverage is controlled by non-US sources.

Yes, they’re still very much PR controlled but I feel at least people in F1 and (non US) football at least say a version of what’s on their mind and attempt to provide fans with some insight into the sport. The US sports media puts out such mindless drivel that only exists to fill contract requirements to put some kind of noise on the air for the mandated blocks of time.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which TV feed are you guys watching in the USA???

Can you not get the SKY commentary with Martin Brundle???

In our feed Max is mostly laughing and joking with the press, whilst Sir Lewis is swanning about in his clown outfits trying to look cool in front of his celeb buddies ?

I'm starting to think all the fake hate for RBR is some kind of WWF TV hype to boost ratings or something in the USA?? they are well liked in the UK very similar to McLaren level support!!!!!

Adrian Newey is a great guy and a proper racer, always has been ?
SkyF1 is broadcast in the US under one of the many ESPN channels but we don't really get all of the post qualifying and race commentary. Pre-race coverage is on too early for me to get up and watch.

The very first race ESPN broadcast was a complete disaster. They did commercials right in the middle of the race with the Sky feed so you had no idea if you missed something. The outcry was so bad that ESPN changed the broadcast to uninterrupted race coverage.

The dislike for RB and Max is mainly because of their incessant whining when things don't go their way. Compare how RB acts with McLaren who hit rock bottom, put their head down, and kept improving. Ferrari are entertaining to watch with all of their weird tactics and Harry Potter leading the team.

Didn't Newey basically quit RB to go design some AM cars because he knew RB couldn't compete?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Newey is still at RBR, but they have to keep bribing him with other projects so he doesn't quit. Adrian seems alright, and he's a genius, but his employer sucks.

PR-controlled...

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SkyF1 is broadcast in the US under one of the many ESPN channels but we don't really get all of the post qualifying and race commentary. Pre-race coverage is on too early for me to get up and watch.

The very first race ESPN broadcast was a complete disaster. They did commercials right in the middle of the race with the Sky feed so you had no idea if you missed something. The outcry was so bad that ESPN changed the broadcast to uninterrupted race coverage.

The dislike for RB and Max is mainly because of their incessant whining when things don't go their way. Compare how RB acts with McLaren who hit rock bottom, put their head down, and kept improving. Ferrari are entertaining to watch with all of their weird tactics and Harry Potter leading the team.

Didn't Newey basically quit RB to go design some AM cars because he knew RB couldn't compete?

Newey has always had the ability to work on other projects at Red Bull, it keeps him interested and brings new ideas, it's part of his contract, I think it stems back to working at Williams and McLaren where he wasn't really valued as much as he should be, this is what I really like about Red Bull, they look after people

Gasly and Albon have been given support, that wouldn't happen anywhere else, so much so they are both still Red Bull drivers, they just weren't ready to go up against Verstappen!!!!

Red Bull have knuckled down and made the Honda PU work, where McLaren did all the whining and whinging, I would imagine Newey is the driving force behind Red Bull powertrains, as he wants packaging control (famed for it)

It's nice to know you get Martin Brundle's commentary, he is a great broadcaster

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great to see McLaren 1-2 and glad they didn't let Lando through, Daniel did everything right.

As for the Max-Lewis situation, I love it! I honestly think the FIA is not being consistent with the penalties. What would have happened if Max avoided the crash and went over the bumps? Merc would be complaining that Max has to gave them the position. I kinda wish they let them fight. Neither wants to leave space nor cede the position, that's what I want to see. If they crash, well, that's racing.

And the fact that Max jumped out of his car and walked past that without even a glance over speaks volumes!

I think, and this are all suppositions, when Max get out of the car, Lewis is trying to back out his car.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great to see McLaren 1-2 and glad they didn't let Lando through, Daniel did everything right.

As for the Max-Lewis situation, I love it! I honestly think the FIA is not being consistent with the penalties. What would have happened if Max avoided the crash and went over the bumps? Merc would be complaining that Max has to gave them the position. I kinda wish they let them fight. Neither wants to leave space nor cede the position, that's what I want to see. If they crash, well, that's racing.

I think, and this are all suppositions, when Max get out of the car, Lewis is trying to back out his car.

Fair point. Still, the difference in their post-race statements speaks volumes. One is a mature, thoughtful professional. The other is a petulant little child. Great driver, but Max still has a ways to go as a professional and a man.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Mercedes wouldn’t have to complain because Max would either have given it back or taken a time penalty as was done for everyone else who held position or gained a place by short cutting a chicane. Unlike too many races lately, the stewarding was actually pretty consistent.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is the bolded really racing though? Sounds more like bumper cars. IMO fighting wheel to wheel for position without tripping over each other is racing.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was listening to The Race’s post-race podcast, and their conclusion seems to be that Lewis would be blameless if he’d run Max off the road on corner entry, but because he didn’t, Max had the right to barge in. But somehow also Lewis wasn’t obliged to give him room? I must admit a grudging admiration for their ability to manage that sort of cognitive dissonance…

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to The Race’s post-race podcast, and their conclusion seems to be that Lewis would be blameless if he’d run Max off the road on corner entry, but because he didn’t, Max had the right to barge in. But somehow also Lewis wasn’t obliged to give him room? I must admit a grudging admiration for their ability to manage that sort of cognitive dissonance…
I honestly don't get their reasoning on that one.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Newey is still at RBR, but they have to keep bribing him with other projects so he doesn't quit. Adrian seems alright, and he's a genius, but his employer sucks.

PR-controlled...

That was like one statement in 4 years.

Very tame.

Good attempt though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads