• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those who wash their own dress shirts - Do you mix with other clothes?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have discontinued washing white tee shirts in bleach with the rest of the whites and the yellow/grey thing stopped instantly.

I wash my better dress shirts separately in cold water in the washing machine on the delicate cycle using Woolite with no apparent adverse effects. The downside to this information is that it only covers the span of a few months. All my previous "dress" shirts were polyester Perry Ellis and got no special treatment.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I handwash my dress shirts in my sink at home and then hang dry. Of course I wash one at a time.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score

I tend to do my dress shirts by themselves, primarily because I'm going to iron them afterwards and keeping the laundry batch size small and focused makes it easier. Also, since my dress shirts are the most expensive things I launder, the fewer other items in the batch the less chance there is that something wayward will be introduced (like a pen left in a pants pocket, etc.)

As an aside, I also toss my dress shirts in the dryer on super-low until just damp, including a couple of already dry, soft bath towels with them to reduce tumbling damage and shorten the drying time. I know that's a no-no for a lot of people, but it has worked well for me so far.

i wash all my dress shirts together, primarily because they get minimally soiled, and because the colors don't run at all.

i hang-dry all of my shirts.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember iammatt saying he expects his shirts to last 15 years when he buys them. I'd imagine for that level of quality he is probably dry-clean-only, but he might have some insight for sport shirts.

They'll last 15 years easy....if he has 150 of them in his rotation.

I handwash my dress shirts in my sink at home and then hang dry. Of course I wash one at a time.

I am in awe. :fonz:

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It sucks that the soak feature is for 2 hours. Who has this kind of time?

Doesn't your machine have some sort of timer/delay feature? I just let it work over night. Wake up the shirts are washed. Summer they just need to be ironed. Rest of the year hang them for a bit first.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads