• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the CP/SI/Massimo Osti fans

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? I never really got into Stone Island, more because the connotations with British Hooliganism than anything else, but I have lots of CP Company gear. The materials were/are pretty amazing. I think that the CP Company aesthetic fits in well with both the heritage crowd and those more "fashion" oriented.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
cp company has pretty interesting stuff must say some of the pieces i have are nice the way the take classic fabrics and do crazy things to them

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, Massimo Osti was a great inspiration to me during my time in design school.

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
I was about to post that article when I found this thread, I think it is a shame to see that Massimo Osti does not receive the kind of recognition he deserves in my opinion, as someone has rightly put it before me, "He was an inventor, rather than a designer".
I personally "suffer" to see the brands he created suffering nowadays (CP has been recently sold has it was a costant "money-loser" for the past few seasons) and generally losign their heritage.

acl1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fabiomassimo
I was about to post that article when I found this thread, I think it is a shame to see that Massimo Osti does not receive the kind of recognition he deserves in my opinion, as someone has rightly put it before me, "He was an inventor, rather than a designer".
I personally "suffer" to see the brands he created suffering nowadays (CP has been recently sold has it was a costant "money-loser" for the past few seasons) and generally losign their heritage.

Seriously. And the past couple of seasons, as well as a few other collections (Korea comes to mind), are fantastic. I wish I had more of their knits with dutch-rope liners.

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acl1
Seriously. And the past couple of seasons, as well as a few other collections (Korea comes to mind), are fantastic. I wish I had more of their knits with dutch-rope liners.

You will always find that odd piece that makes you go "Ooooohhh" in their collection, but most of the stuff have become almost "ordinary" which is a word I never thought I'd associate to "Stone Island", their range has got way too big and quite a few of the garments are not as good as they used to be in terms of quality and design. Shame.

MockProper

Reaction score
did CP Company really get sold? if so to who? and what does this mean for the future of the label?

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MockProper
did CP Company really get sold? if so to who? and what does this mean for the future of the label?

Yes, CP was sold around February-March this year to Enzo Fusco (FGF, Blauer and a few other brands), the brand and the Archive (around 30k pieces) moved from Emilia Romagna to Veneto. From what I know Fusco always loved the brand and the work of Osti therefore he wants to go back to the real roots of CP etc. I know the current head designer for CP Men and I expect he will be doing a good job!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the translation.

I remember the NYC store in the Flatiron Building...never went in, alas, but it was a very prominent bit of retail real estate.

I didn't pay as much attention in the 90s but now the Osti military-ish aesthetic is more my style.

The NYC location is now a cell phone store (of course!).

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
I still have the CP Magazine with the Flatiron building on the cover, I think it is from 91 or 92, great stuff
smile.gif

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent article.

Not a fan of SI, but I like very much CP. The fabrics are mostly very high tech though. I have a CP motorcycle style jacket with an inliner that I use a lot in the winter. I bougth recently two excellent pants from CP, one Incotex style slim fit grey cotton and some tan summery vintage looking 'ice' shiny fabrics that my wife hates a lot. A lot of the CP stuff is understated ans sometimes looks cheap though. I find some of their jackets incredibly expensive and hard to justify without being interested in some technical stuf specs or interesting details.

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
In Massimo Osti's approach, CP company shouldn't have been a technical brand. That is how Stone Island was born. He discovered Tela Stella (a fabric used for trucks covers) and dyed it. Beautiful. But too different from the style of CP. it was 1982, Stone Island was born. CP had been going for a few seasons, totally different approach, more into a "tailor made" taste. Since Massimo left SPW, CP became more and more a technical brand and lost its true heritage. Too much nylon and polyester in recent collections.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads