• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe they bring a few lengths of line along. Anywhere from 1 - 1.5 X the length of the rod. Line is attached with a quick slip knot so it's an easy swap.

I'm attracted to the simplicity.

lefty

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

While we are on the subject don't forget there's a different dimension to fly fishing called warm water. Think bass, other sunfish, catfish, etc. Thanks guys, now I'm thinking about taking out a rod, tying a few flies and going fishin'. Life is good.

Flyfishing for catfish, eh? How the heck do you do that??

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tie one of these to the end of the line.

hand.gif

lefty

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fly noodlin'? :slayer:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flyfishing for catfish, eh? How the heck do you do that??

I would guess wet flies and a fairly heavy weight rod.

TimH

Reaction score

Just discovered this thread and think it would be great if more people discovered the huge depth this hobby has in store - great scenery, healthy outdoors, stress busting, food on the plate that tastes like no other -keep it up and running guys! If you include the girls you'll end up getting wupped as they seem to have an unatural empathy with the art! Recently made this for a real enthusiast -see the blog for more. Tight lines, Tim Hardy

TimH

Reaction score

Nice case.

There are free casting lessons in Golden Gate park tomorrow.

lefty

Thanks and makingleahter is my other passion and living, just wish I had an excuse to get over there, but the airfare might negate the free fly fishing lessons. Great if you can watch or be taught by someone who really can cast. Andy Murray of Hardy's turns it into a real art form; with the wind or into the wind, no difference. Not sure he is any good at tennis though?:)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spent last weekend on the north fork of the Yuba in Sierra City. Great little wild rainbow, some brown, some brook fishery. Pulled 20+ out including one (for the area) monster.

lefty

Arthur PE

Reaction score

nod[1].gif

mine's a 1975 printing, UK, 2 pounds, got it when I started FF
was fortunate to live in AK for ~10 years, spoiled me
still get out 6-8 times a season, some nice protected trout streams locally (catch/release)
I usually fish by myself, nothing like it

it's a bit more than a hobby imho, between meditation and a religious experience, lol

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick g'day from an aussie fly fisherman. Where I live in Canberra (the nations capital) we are luckily only an hour and a half away from what we call the snowy mountains, which is trout city on the mainland. We have unfortunately just entered the closed season on the rivers for the next 3.5 months for the spawning run, but still have some lakes full of trout to fish for over the winter that stay open. We do get a few local trout in Canberra and have very cold winters here, but also blazing summers which prevents them from flourishing where we are.

At this time of the year, lots of wet's and nymphs are fished while we don't have many hatches along with glo bugs at the end of the season. We can also get some very good polaroiding on the lakes on sunny days during winter where the trout will cruise right up to the shoreline.

Cheers,
Jason

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Liked the Yuba so much I went back this weekend with my wife who proceeded to out fish me 2:1. Also tore my waders.

Ed, have you named your flyrod like you did with your bonsai trees? That may help.

lefty

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ed, have you named your flyrod like you did with your bonsai trees? That may help.

Asshole.

And I'm borrowing my buddy's flyrod. Haven't named my spinning rod. Maybe I'll name him Rodney the Rod.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fish tremble in anticipation.

What are you fishing for?

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads