Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Jul 26, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Trout mainly. There's also shoal bass, perch and a couple others that are in our waters.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Six times out and no fish? Time to change up something.

lefty

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Yep. Going further north. Bit too warm where we're at.

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

We just got back from a week out in northern New Mexico. Amazing fishery, with a 4+ mile section of a Pecos R. tributary plus 8 lakes/ponds, all containing fish up to 12 pounds - rainbows, bookies, cutthroats (& cutbows) and browns...:slayer:

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Nice. I'm going to try and head up to the Upper Sacramento next week and maybe the McCloud for the native redbands. These fish were distributed all over the world to populate waters.

lefty

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

Awesome! My went to grad school in the bay area. when i'd visit we'd always go up to San Francisco, but for longer trips we'd head north for some fishing - stayed @ Clearwater(?) House once and IIRC fished the McCloud, Pit, Fall & Hat Creek over a couple of days (maybe it was 2 trips?) - N. California has some great fishing!

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Clearwater looks like a nice lodge. Trying to fish my way through all the area waters before I leave.

How was the Pitt? Supposed to be a nightmare to wade.

lefty

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Yes, it is (supposed to be), although 20 years later I can't remember doing it :embar: It is the closet water to the lodge - maybe that's what I'm thinking of...

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Some flies. Almost too pretty to fish.

http://addictedtovise.blogspot.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent last weekend at the Upper Sac. Once again my wife outfishes me.

Taking my 8-year-old nephew to the Sierras this weekend for his first flyfishing and first real camping trip. Picked up a sweet '70s era fiberglass rod for him.

lefty

10. Kai

Kai Senior member

I have a blog devoted primarily to backcountry fly fishing.

For those who are truly bored and easily amused, it might prove mildly interesting (or it could possibly cure insomnia.)

http://www.larsonweb.com/flyfishing/index.html

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks, Kai. I'll check it out as I love small stream backcountry fishing. I'm also considering a bamboo rod so we'll talk about that as well. There seem to be more bamboo rod makers than graphite.

Any experience with fiberglass?

lefty

12. Kai

Kai Senior member

I've tried a few fiberglass rods. None really worked well for me. These days, I pretty much only fish either bamboo or Tenkara.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Got it.

Should pick up a tenkara rod, but I have a few more traditional rods to go through first. Around here it's a lot of indicator nymphing or dry dropper so not sure how that soft tip handles that. Like to try though.

Your blogs are pretty extensive. Can't believe you ordered 10 bamboo rods from all that many makers. Hell of a way to get your feet wet. I will have some bamboo questions as I want to get a smaller rod for my wife. 7 - 8' 3 - 4wt.

Thanks.
    lefty

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Very nice blog, Kai.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Joan Wulff, the First Lady of Fly Fishing, wants to become a member of the Angling Club of New York, the most prestigious club in the US. She is certainly qualified having been a National Casting Champion from 1943-1960 in distance casting against an all-male competition; starting the Wulff School of Fly Fishing; writing three books on fly fishing, the most known being Fly Casting Techniques; and being inducted into the International Game Fish Association Hall of Fame in 2007.

[​IMG]

However, she ain't a he.

https://www.change.org/petitions/sport-angling-community-sign-if-joan-is-good-enough-to-be-a-member-of-anglers-club-of-ny?utm_campaign=friend_inviter_modal&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=7419849

lefty