• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fix this outfit?

slappysloopy

Reaction score
Ouch! I didn't realize you guys were so well dressed at 17. Do any of you have pictures to share of what you were wearing during your senior year?

Theory

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people were guilty at your age, of wearing clothes from **** mall brands, or of lesser quality, or with bad fits, etc.

I'll at least admit to it. But even though you just got roasted (and rightfully so), don't take it personally. Theres actually been some decent advice pushed on you. Too many stripes. Poor color choices (together at least), poor jean fit/wash, less than desireable shoe choice, need haircut, could stand to drop a few pounds not only for clothing fit but for health as well.

You're at a good age to change the way you dress though. Don't go to college looking dumpy like that.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Theory
I'm sure a lot of people were guilty at your age, of wearing clothes from **** mall brands, or of lesser quality, or with bad fits, etc.

I'll at least admit to it. But even though you just got roasted (and rightfully so), don't take it personally. Theres actually been some decent advice pushed on you. Too many stripes. Poor color choices (together at least), poor jean fit/wash, less than desireable shoe choice, need haircut, could stand to drop a few pounds not only for clothing fit but for health as well.

You're at a good age to change the way you dress though. Don't go to college looking dumpy like that.

+1

According to SF standards, you look horrible.

According to anyone elses standards, you look absolutely unremarkable.

Theory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
+1

fake nonexistant rep system +1 too

slappysloopy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
+1

Haha, I can take that. I plan to save as much as I can and build up a nice wardrobe starting now for next year. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I need to keep or toss and what would work for me and what won't. SF has a lot of good looks and I'd like to use some of that to make my own so I'm just getting feedback. I can handle a good roast as long as I get something out of it. I still get told I dress very well by a lot of people. (It's high school what do you expect from people my age?).

Bislane

Reaction score
OP you look like an average frat-kid, read up on here for a while and adjust your wardrobe with what fits your budget, environment, and comfort level if you're trying to be a little more unique. Once you do, post in WAYWT and see where you fall, but there's no need to start new threads for every little thing, most of the info is already there if you'll look for it.

apwrxmd

Reaction score
Don't do vertical and horizontal stripes.

Also get your jeans tailored to fit better.

Don't wear those sneakers.

Just my advice....

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Theory

Does it all have to be designer? Sound slike that is what is being implied. Anyways would you consider GAP to be ****? Most of my wardrobe is from there.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WearsTargetClothesSoWhat
Does it all have to be designer? Sound slike that is what is being implied. Anyways would you consider GAP to be ****? Most of my wardrobe is from there.

What exactly is "designer"? Even stuff at WalMart was designed by someone.

There's really not as much brand snobbishness here as newbies seem to think. Gap, J. Crew, Target, etc. all get occasional love here.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only get basics at J. Crew and stuff. I'm posting here to get my name on every board. I really have nothing to contribute.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie Big Potato
Start with a Haircut then get back to us.

Actually, I would strongly advise slappysloopy to first dump several hundred dollars into clothing before doing something drastic like getting a haircut.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
What exactly is "designer"? Even stuff at WalMart was designed by someone.

There's really not as much brand snobbishness here as newbies seem to think. Gap, J. Crew, Target, etc. all get occasional love here.

Ok, I guess I just never realized.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WearsTargetClothesSoWhat

I wore Gap **** for years. I think it looks pretty good and its very budget oriented. I never got logo'd stuff but casual pants, dress clothes and even my favorite pair of jeans ever came from there. For your age and budget I think its very acceptable under the singular condition that, at the VERY least you get your shirts altered. Mine costs $10 per alter (shorten sleeves, shorten length, slim it up, etc). For a $50 shirt $20 of alterations trule can make a difference. Gap tends to fit extremely boxy.

Now that Ive been reading this forum for a while I have upped my taste slightly and focus on more quality than quantity - but Im also relatively established at 26. I recommend getting a good base of well fittening clothes and then build up from there with nicer items a few years down the road once your height/weight is stable. You aint done growing yet. Drops some lbs, put on some muscle and the clothes will look better.

And you can just do what I did in college and wear frat t-shirts and flip flops everyday like everyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads