Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fix this outfit?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by slappysloopy, Dec 30, 2008.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Does it all have to be designer? Sound slike that is what is being implied. Anyways would you consider GAP to be shit? Most of my wardrobe is from there.

hahahah

2. beckett

beckett Member

I think the hair is great. The clothes aren't my style, but there's nothing wrong with them, but I do think there are too many lines though. The jeans aren't too my tastes either.

3. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I think the hair is great.

The hair is by far the worst part of the outfit.

4. meader

meader Active Member

Now you got one great good ol' 70's haircut there. Keep it like that, just let it grow and let it get rugged 'n' mean. Get yourself some round glasses, a bandana, some skin tight bootcut pants, a pair of Nike Cortez, a tight tee and an M65-jacket. Grow a mustache and start act shady 'n' paranoid 'n' stuff like that. Always walk with high speed. Then you will be one heck of a citizen of the US of A.

5. KenN

KenN Senior member

Lots of vague comments, I will try to give you something more concrete to work with:
    • Smile.
    • Hands out of your pocket. Showing your hands makes you look more engaged.
    • Don't wear stripes in perpendicular directions, try to achieve unity when you dress, it's an easy way to look more proper.
    • Your inner shirt looks too be too big on you, wear slimmer shirts.
    • Your red sweater needs to go. I think bold horizontal contrasting stripes are ugly.
    • Ditch whatever is in your right back pocket, it distorts the shape of your silhouette.
    • Lurk more, and say bye to pre-distressed pre-ripped jeans.

Stick around and read the posts, you will look better in no time.

6. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

The hair is by far the worst part of the outfit.
    Not to sound like a jackass but your hair isn't exactly stylin' it either.

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Can't we just agree they both have bad hair and all get along?

8. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

he looks like the average guy around these parts its a look everyone accepts. of course coming here and asking was looking for trouble. i can't say anything about the hair my hair is probably longer than his [​IMG].

9. Listi

Listi Senior member

Quick fixes

1. Tuck in shirt, I don't know if this is a rule, but I can't deal with untucked shirts and sweaters.
    2. If you're going to wear pre-washed jeans, which is fine, DO NOT get ones with rips in them.
    3. Have your jeans fit better. I can't tell what kind of cut they are, but if they're bootcut, get straightleg.
    4. Stripes conflict is baddddd.

10. sigma

sigma Senior member

Quicker Fix
    Bring those clothes to Plato's Closet or Buffalo Exchange or whatever and sell them. Take the money and go to Jcrew and use your 15% off student discount and buy new clothes. I guarantee you'll look 100x better.

11. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

I read this in GQ, or somewhere, but I feel the advice is helpful.

Start from the ground up. Shoes, Pants, Shirt, Hair.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the shoes, but I know many will disagree. For sneakers, the SF uniform seems to stress Jack Purcells, Chucks, or Creative Recreation. I happen to like Vans classics and Sperrys at the moment. Sperrys might actually fit in with the style you've already developed. Next, it might be good to move on to better quality denim. APC New Standards or New Cures seem to be the favorites around here. JCrew also has Chinos in a few good fits, and has regular sales plus an extra 15% off for students. Same with shirts. It's not the best idea to build your entire wardrobe out of one brand, but it is truly good for basics. Alot of guys here like Band of Outsiders, but it's a bit pricy for guys who can't afford $200 dollar shirts (again, it couldn't hurt to look for sales). Check out some of the affiliated retailers at the top of the forum, they offer discounts to forum members and give a good idea of some of the clothes you might see in WAYWT. And finally... cut the mop.

Just some stuff that I've picked up from the forum while wasting free time and dawdling at work. Keep reading and posting.

12. Lel

Lel Senior member

not fixable. its all garbage.

Burn everything and start over.

I get it, its fun to poke for at the "ignorant poorly dressed" newbie but it helps no one and it just promotes this idea of well dressed people being snobbish assholes.

for an average high school sophomore

he looks like the average guy around these parts its a look everyone accepts.

+1

I think you look average, normal, just like every other highschool. Depending on what you want this could be a good or bad thing. People at your highschool/college won't talk down your outfit like SF would, actually no one outside of SF really would. I bet you'd probably get compliments too.

But let me make this point, the average teenager isn't well dressed. The average teenager, in all honesty, is a sheep is just follows whatever is popular and accepted by their peers. Because to them, the A&F moose/AE eagle/HCO seagull is a symbol of status and it's all about what brands you rep. Trust me, I have been there before. I quickly grew out of it because I realized that I personally didn't like the clothing and I didn't want to bother to dress for other people.

Thanks for the feedback.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now we get to the root of the problem.

The problem is you tell us to fix your outfit but you dont tell us you want. You don't even give us examples of what you want to look like.

What exactly do you want us to do? Magically "fix" your outfit? Sure you can post a topic on SF and you get the generic "get APC/AA/Clarks" answer and you end up with the "SF uniform" and being "dressed by the internet".

Instead just take some time, lurk around and see what you like first. Then ask specific questions.

13. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

The quickest thing you can do in regards to the OUTFIT is to replace the jeans.

If you don't feel like spending money go ahead and get some Levi's 501 or 514

14. slappysloopy

slappysloopy Senior member

First, I'd like to thank Kenn, crosswound, listi, Lel, and a few others for some useful comments. While I have a lot of people's attention I'd like to ask what are some brands of jeans to look for (preferably same color or darker and no more torn up jeans, I promise). I would like to spend under 150 or so for a pair of jeans and maybe splurge and get one pair of nudies, APC, iron heart, etc. Also keep in mind that this isn't the only outfit I own, it's literally what I was wearing today. Also I read that Levis has a few different lines if I go that route, is there a major quality difference between capital E, LVC, basic, red, and if so what would I notice?

15. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

If you're really on a budget then I would go for some Crates. They're going for really cheap right now. By the looks of your current jeans, I would look into the Journal model.

Seriously though, just spend some time around this forum and you'll learn alot in a short amount of time.