• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Shoes for a Versatile Wardrobe

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Your G&G, will they have a split toe? I like that combination of the toe and textured leather. It has personality and is quite versatile for casual dress.

Yessir. I already have one G&G split toe in dark oak peccary. This next one will be a chestnut hatchgrain, similar to the St.C above.

topos

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm glad someone posted a black loafer. They feel like a bit of a contradiction - an informal shoe in a formal color. At one point I owned a pair and wore them, but I can no longer see any point, especially in the current context of a 5-shoe wardrobe. Does anyone feel they fill a need in a larger wardrobe of shoes? It's been a long time since I considered black loafers, and was just wondering if my thinking has gotten stuck about them being completely pointless, or if they really have a place.

By the way, I really like this topic, since it both describes both my current needs and also reflects my reality (the five: black captoe, dark brown captoe, medium brown loafer, medium brown blucher, dark brown single monkstrap).

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but I personally don't like split toes. That link of the four shoes you posted is awesome though PSG, thanks for that.

Currently trying to tell myself not to pick up a pair of suede Chelsea's because they've been in neither of my top 5 and I already have a suede shoe, but not much else as I'm literally building from nothing.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A split toe is an elegant way to make an oxford a derby less formal IMO. Therefore, it is an ideal Business Casual option. Combined with textured leather and you've really got it going on :slayer:

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jhilla on Tumblr posted this by way of Ethan at the Armoury, as four all-time greatest casual shoes. I think we can call them business casual for this thread.

http://jhilla.tumblr.com/

I think any guy would look great and become well known for wearing great shoes if he rotated these four.

Really like these brown punched cap-toe. Like the Chelsea's but replace with suede chukkas personally. Any readily available makers for a similar pair of cap-toe? Meermin? What about something not MTO?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-Black calf oxford (stitch or punch cap)
-Brown calf oxford (stitch or punch cap)
-Brown calf/shell derby (any configuration)
-Calf/shell "Flex" spot (chukka, monk, derby, loafer are suggestions -- maybe something in cognac, light brown, or brown)
-Suede "Flex" spot (chukka, monk, derby, loafer are suggestions -- maybe something in snuff, tan, or tobacco)

Last edited:

printyra

Reaction score
As a slightly atypical college student, I would keep these as my versatile rotation.

If I edited my shoe wardrobe down these would be my final keepers. I cheated and kept six to included loafers. You can interchange as you feel necessary. Sorry for the poor pictures can't find my camera charger.

Black Cap Toe

Brown Cap Toe

Brown Suede Double Monk

Black Loafer

Burgundy Shell Longwing Brogue

Walnut/Tan Derby Boot

I have a pair of overshoes to account for rain and poor weather.
I would go with brown loafers but other than that I like this list the most.

Scbrown

Reaction score
I would go with brown loafers but other than that I like this list the most.
Thanks, I think I would do a brown loafer, unfortunately none to my liking have crossed my path.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Black punch cap balmoral
2. Medium brown monkstraps (e.g. C&J Monkton in chestnut, double monks would work here too)
3. Second black balmoral (C&J Drummond for me, I think a decent half brogue could work here too as could monks (not a balmoral but fit the idea of a less formal black non-loafer))
4. Black loafer (I love some of the less blatant Ferragamo bit loafers, YMMV)
5. Dark brown loafer

Tan and suede are great, but IMO have limited versatility. This is weighted towards black since I prefer it in my shoe rotations.

The Upright Man

Reaction score
Great thread.

Here's my list:

1) Black captoe oxford:

2) Snuff suede captoe:

3) Oxblood derbies/tan split toe derbies:

4) Dark brown wingtip oxfords:

5) Suede/burgundy loafers:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm glad someone posted a black loafer. They feel like a bit of a contradiction - an informal shoe in a formal color. At one point I owned a pair and wore them, but I can no longer see any point, especially in the current context of a 5-shoe wardrobe. Does anyone feel they fill a need in a larger wardrobe of shoes? It's been a long time since I considered black loafers, and was just wondering if my thinking has gotten stuck about them being completely pointless, or if they really have a place.

They have a place for me- I wear gray pants a lot, and it's nice to have a black casual shoe. I know this board likes brown with gray, and I often wear that myself, but black really does work better with gray in most contexts, IMO. So I wear black loafers

In a 5 shoe wardrobe, I don't think I'd recommend them, I'd just wear something like black longwings instead, which doubles as a suit appropriate shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads