1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Five Shoes for a Versatile Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheloniusDrunk, Feb 17, 2013.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I currently only have a pair of black cap-toe oxford I leave for formal occasions, and for everyday wear, a pair of black plain toe bluchers.

Now, for me, this works perfectly fine. But for the sake of rotating my shoes to keep them in shape, what should be the next order be? Granted the two I own are just Barney's in-house shoes in calf, supposedly, I am considering a brown pair and am questioning whether a plain toe would work best versus cap-toe. Keep in mind I like the black cap-toe oxford as the default shoe of choice. Everyday wear between a black and brown plain toe blucher seems right? Or can I make it even more casual, like instead of smooth leather, a chocolate suede?

2. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Without knowing the situation, brown suede in any iteration you like gets my vote. If that's too casual, I'd go to a brown punched cap or quarter brogue. I've never been a big fan of plain toe bluchers in anything but suede or burgundy cordovan, but that's a matter of preference.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jhilla on Tumblr posted this by way of Ethan at the Armoury, as four all-time greatest casual shoes. I think we can call them business casual for this thread.

http://jhilla.tumblr.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think any guy would look great and become well known for wearing great shoes if he rotated these four.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

^Those St. Crispins look amazing. I hope my G&G Hoves in hatchgrain come out that well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. GusW

They do look rather crispy :)

Your G&G, will they have a split toe? I like that combination of the toe and textured leather. It has personality and is quite versatile for casual dress.

6. unbelragazzo

Yessir. I already have one G&G split toe in dark oak peccary. This next one will be a chestnut hatchgrain, similar to the St.C above.

1 person likes this.
  7. topos

topos Senior member

Quote: I'm glad someone posted a black loafer. They feel like a bit of a contradiction - an informal shoe in a formal color. At one point I owned a pair and wore them, but I can no longer see any point, especially in the current context of a 5-shoe wardrobe. Does anyone feel they fill a need in a larger wardrobe of shoes? It's been a long time since I considered black loafers, and was just wondering if my thinking has gotten stuck about them being completely pointless, or if they really have a place.

By the way, I really like this topic, since it both describes both my current needs and also reflects my reality (the five: black captoe, dark brown captoe, medium brown loafer, medium brown blucher, dark brown single monkstrap).

8. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

I don't know what it is, but I personally don't like split toes. That link of the four shoes you posted is awesome though PSG, thanks for that.

Currently trying to tell myself not to pick up a pair of suede Chelsea's because they've been in neither of my top 5 and I already have a suede shoe, but not much else as I'm literally building from nothing.

9. GusW

A split toe is an elegant way to make an oxford a derby less formal IMO. Therefore, it is an ideal Business Casual option. Combined with textured leather and you've really got it going on :slayer:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. unbelragazzo

Split toe on an oxford? To me they're for derbies only.

11. GusW

You are right, of course. I stand corrected above. :)

12. unbelragazzo

Ah ok - sorry I wasn't trying to be a pedantic dick, was genuinely curious.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Really like these brown punched cap-toe. Like the Chelsea's but replace with suede chukkas personally. Any readily available makers for a similar pair of cap-toe? Meermin? What about something not MTO?

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

-Black calf oxford (stitch or punch cap)
    -Brown calf oxford (stitch or punch cap)
    -Brown calf/shell derby (any configuration)
    -Calf/shell "Flex" spot (chukka, monk, derby, loafer are suggestions -- maybe something in cognac, light brown, or brown)
    -Suede "Flex" spot (chukka, monk, derby, loafer are suggestions -- maybe something in snuff, tan, or tobacco)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. printyra

printyra Active Member

I would go with brown loafers but other than that I like this list the most.

16. Scbrown

Scbrown Senior member

Thanks, I think I would do a brown loafer, unfortunately none to my liking have crossed my path.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

1. Black punch cap balmoral
    2. Medium brown monkstraps (e.g. C&J Monkton in chestnut, double monks would work here too)
    3. Second black balmoral (C&J Drummond for me, I think a decent half brogue could work here too as could monks (not a balmoral but fit the idea of a less formal black non-loafer))
    4. Black loafer (I love some of the less blatant Ferragamo bit loafers, YMMV)
    5. Dark brown loafer

Tan and suede are great, but IMO have limited versatility. This is weighted towards black since I prefer it in my shoe rotations.

19. The Upright Man

The Upright Man Senior member

Great thread.

Here's my list:

1) Black captoe oxford:

[​IMG]

2) Snuff suede captoe:

[​IMG]

3) Oxblood derbies/tan split toe derbies:

[​IMG][​IMG]

4) Dark brown wingtip oxfords:

[​IMG]

5) Suede/burgundy loafers:

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

They have a place for me- I wear gray pants a lot, and it's nice to have a black casual shoe. I know this board likes brown with gray, and I often wear that myself, but black really does work better with gray in most contexts, IMO. So I wear black loafers

In a 5 shoe wardrobe, I don't think I'd recommend them, I'd just wear something like black longwings instead, which doubles as a suit appropriate shoe.