• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time going to a tailor (Toronto)

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always buy OTR shirts and pants and they always fit fine, but never "perfect". So I decided to take one of my lower end shirts that is much too bulky in the body to a tailor to see about getting it tapered. I tried the shirt on and he marked it to be taken in at the side seams and slightly up in the arms, he also put in some tapering down the back.

After this was all set he told me that the seams will not be the same because only the factory can do "french" seams like the shirt had. Is this true or is this just becasue he could be an "entry" level tailor without the proper equipment?

For the Toronto people, the place I took it to is the tailoring/alternations place in Hazelton Lanes. Can anyone comment on his work?

Sprezzatura Custom

Reaction score
Taking in the side seams and darting a shirt is not complex work. As long as he is competent (which I assume he is if he is an operator in Hazelton lanes), I dont think you have anything to worry about.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I always buy OTR shirts and pants and they always fit fine, but never "perfect". So I decided to take one of my lower end shirts that is much too bulky in the body to a tailor to see about getting it tapered. I tried the shirt on and he marked it to be taken in at the side seams and slightly up in the arms, he also put in some tapering down the back.

After this was all set he told me that the seams will not be the same because only the factory can do "french" seams like the shirt had. Is this true or is this just becasue he could be an "entry" level tailor without the proper equipment?

For the Toronto people, the place I took it to is the tailoring/alternations place in Hazelton Lanes. Can anyone comment on his work?

I personally don't see the point in spending money on OTR and then another $40 on tailoring. Bespoke shirts can start as low as $250 per shirt for the regular fabrics that you see in $300+ RTW shirts and you'll always be much happier.

I've NEVER been satisfied with alterations. My opinion is that most tailors worth their salt are not alterations tailors and they are certainly not consistent. I've tried a number in montreal and have always been disappointed, if not at first, than after wearing the garment a couple times. I have 4 pairs of relatively expensive pants that i bought on sale and figured i could get altered to fit "perfectly." Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! Shirts are even harder. I don't bother with pants taht aren't mtm and shirts that aren't bespoke, even if they're $500 borrellis selling for $100. Fit is everything. Besides, there's nothing an alterations tailor can do to fit the disgustingly large armholes on most RTW.

Anyway... Just some general comments. I learned my lesson after much money spent. I can't really help you in Toronto. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Sprezzatura Custom

Reaction score
I agree with previous poster that although alterations can help, it never looks the same. This is especially true of when you get the sleeves shortened. Even if they move the gauntlet up it just does not look right. Also, in some cases when your taking in the body, other things might be off like the size of the yoke, length of the shirt, width of the sleeves. etc.

Best to get a good fit from the get go. Or go with Custom/Bespoke.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've considered going with MTM and bespoke, I just never really like the fabrics I see. I like buying OTR becasue I have a large selection to choose from including patterns and sizes. I'm sure eventually I'll venture into bespoke, but with all the horror stories I've heard on here I just prefer buying shirts that I KNOW I like because I've tried them on.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i dont know of any tailor that has the machine that automaticly folds the cloth and sews the seam with two needles at the same time.
why i guess because you can buy a rebuilt one for about $5,000.00.
he can do a proper job with his single needle machine. no one will know the difference.
i taper all my shirts with the same machine that he has.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
i dont know of any tailor that has the machine that automaticly folds the cloth and sews the seam with two needles at the same time.
why i guess because you can buy a rebuilt one for about $5,000.00.
he can do a proper job with his single needle machine. no one will know the difference.
i taper all my shirts with the same machine that he has.

Thanks for the answer, but you can keep the attitude. It was a simple question. Obviously I'm not a tailor and wouldn't know this. I wear the clothes, I don't make them. If you ever have a question about something so obvious to me, I'll will be gracious enough to extend you the courtesy of a simple answer, no matter how obvious the answer may be to me.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, but you can keep the attitude. It was a simple question. Obviously I'm not a tailor and wouldn't know this. I wear the clothes, I don't make them. If you ever have a question about something so obvious to me, I'll will be gracious enough to extend you the courtesy of a simple answer, no matter how obvious the answer may be to me.

I guess I missed something beyond the lack of capitalization???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads