• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit

rockstar0215

Reaction score
I will be graduating from college in December and starting Law School in the Fall. With Law School interviews coming up soon and never having owned a suit, I am in the market for something. Today I checked out some suits and saw what I liked at the store etc. Contrary to what I found to be quality I am seeing a large disdain for Hugo Boss suits on this forum. My "window shopping" experience today brought me to the Hugo Boss store and I fell in love with their suits. I am glad I came here as part of my research and was hoping to be guided in the "right" direction. Most importantly, I would not like to overpay for a suit. I want to spend no more than $550ish on my first suit, have a modern slim fit, and last at least all through law school. Any recommendations of brands I can check out, try on etc.?

Thanks much is appreciated.

bartleby929

Reaction score
my auto-response is always suitsupply. free shipping, free returns, maybe tax free depending on where u live. third year law student (you are entering a world of trouble, friend) 550 for a suit is reasonable.

Chairman_Liu

Reaction score
I've heard many good things about the tailored-fit suit separates sold by Land's End - I believe they're around the $300 range though. Save the rest for a pair of proper shoes?

bartleby929

Reaction score
grab park aves off anniversary sale now. considering each law school class you attend costs around $300 if you're lucky, these are a legit investment. black park aves, can't go wrong

rockstar0215

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am really interested in suit supply. They look reasonable and good (in the photos). Anybody had experience?

jrasero

Reaction score
Hugo Boss are overrated but they do fit people nicely because they don't run big in the shoulders like American brands (Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, DKNY)

$550 is a tad much for a HB suit, you can find them $400-$500

but it's all about fit, if the suit fits and has good material that's all that matters. Just make sure the shoulders fit properly since fit is top down.

I would also look at Johm Varvatos, Maybe Joseph Abboud

manchambo

Reaction score
Please don't get a modern slim fit suit for law school. You want something more traditional than that, especially for your summer associate interviews. It doesn't have to be an old man suit, and it should fit well, but it should be reasonably classic styled in navy, charcoal, or possibly a conservative stripe.

Also, stay away from Abboud. A Nordstrom associate convinced me to buy one a couple of years back and it is easily the worst suit I own. You can regularly get something from Hickey Freeman or some better brands from some of the discount stores like the Rack, Off Saks, etc. Or suit supply could be a good choice.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please don't get a modern slim fit suit for law school. You want something more traditional than that, especially for your summer associate interviews. It doesn't have to be an old man suit, and it should fit well, but it should be reasonably classic styled in navy, charcoal, or possibly a conservative stripe. 

Also, stay away from Abboud. A Nordstrom associate convinced me to buy one a couple of years back and it is easily the worst suit I own. You can regularly get something from Hickey Freeman or some better brands from some of the discount stores like the Rack, Off Saks, etc. Or suit supply could be a good choice.

Yeah, it's important to note the difference between a well fitted suit that looks good and flatters the wearer and something that veers too far into being some sort of runway costume. Super skinny lapels and the like should be avoided. If all OP wants is to avoid a sack suit, then he's probably fine.

Disagree on the conservative stripe comment. Nothing wrong with having one in one's wardrobe but if you only have one good suit it should be a solid. More versatile and less likely to be recognized as the only suit one owns.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grab park aves off anniversary sale now. considering each law school class you attend costs around $300 if you're lucky, these are a legit investment. black park aves, can't go wrong

$300?...whatchu smokin' bro'?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$300?...whatchu smokin' bro'?

Maybe he means per class session, not for the whole class. Tuition's probably $150,000 without scholarships and one probably takes about 30 classes in law school (5 per semester), so that's about $5,000 per course. Assuming 13 weeks of classes (plus a 2 week exam period), that's about $384 per week per class. If most classes meet once a week, the math works. I'd assume the average class meets closer to twice a week, but it could vary dramatically by law school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads