• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first suit fit pics - critique pls?

yeeth

Reaction score
Hey guys here's my first attempt at buying a RTW suit... won't elaborate much first except that it hasn't been tailored and i'm planning to do so soon, i'll wait for your opinions before i say anything else.

How do you guys think the fit is?

Front view, (hopefully) natural stance
front.jpg

Back view, (hopefully) natural stance
back.jpg

Side view (top jacket button buttoned)
side.jpg

yeeth

Reaction score
more pics:

bent.jpg

armswide.jpg

backwrinkle.jpg

any criticisms/suggestions for alterations/tips appreciated, thanks!

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are already better dressed than 80% of men in this world. Just shorten the sleeves and ask the tailor if he can help to clean the back a little bit.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First thanks for posting pics on which one can actually recognize something - that it a good start.

1) Collar seems OK
2) Sleeves are too long
3) Length seems OK (maybe a tiny bit too long, but something you can't get perfect with RTW)
4) The shoulders seem to be a bit too wide on a first look, have you tried one size smaller?
5) There is quite a bit of fabric bunching going on on the back and the sleeves
6) No comment on the pants possible since the pictures do not show enough detail

2 is something a tailor can easily fix. Before getting the suit tailored I'd try one size smaller and see if the shoulders, sleeve volume and the back look better.

By the way: 5 sleeve buttons? Are you sure?

yeeth

Reaction score
hmm i'd actually thought of sizing down but this is a 36S and i haven't found a RTW 34(S) suit in my country. However i went ahead with the purchase as i thought (an imaginery) 34 would be too small - the shoulder pads on the 36 end exactly where my shoulders do.

and yes i noticed the sleeve buttons but it's something i can live with - i've tried a LOT of RTW 36's and i'd almost given up on finding a passable one before this. Not possible for a tailor to cut off a button and remove the fake-buttonhole stitching is it?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeeth
Not possible for a tailor to cut off a button and remove the fake-buttonhole stitching is it?

It is possible in certain cases.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're in Singapore, maybe you should try Uniqlo?

yeeth

Reaction score
hm i actually have a problem with excessive sweating so i find polyester suits untolerably hot. this was the first 100% wool (super 80s worsted merino to be specific) RTW suit that actually kind of fitted me.

anyway my most pressing questions were related to the wrinkling and armholes. More specifically:
1. wrinkling in the back of the sleeves (see side pic)
2. folding of fabric in the armpit area (might not be very noticeable but its circled in the last pic)
3. general wrinkling in the entire back
4. lower armholes than i'd have preferred

which of those can be fixed at reasonable cost by a decent tailor?
also i thought i might get the waist suppressed a little more - would that be wise? i don't want it to end up with a female hourglass silhouette.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibly 1 & 3, depending on the tailor. But you added decent cost, so I'm not sure. Anything I say would be pure speculation. The best advice I can give is find a very competent tailor.

No, don't get the waist suppressed more. Its fine. It's your suit though, you can do what you want.

Okay, looking at the pictures again, I am going to weigh on the side of too big. I know you can't find a 34, but lets face it. The wrinkling is probably caused by the shoulders being slightly too big. And unless your traps are enormous and bulging, the hump on top of your shoulders is not good.

zerostyle

Reaction score
OP,

Shoulders = fine, maybe a touch big
Chest = seems good
Waist = seems good
Sleeves = shorten to show 1/4" shirt cuff
Back = sloppy but not awful, see if the tailor can work on it
Length = perfect, IMO.

The suit looks good. SF is obsessed with commenting on shoulders being too broad. While they might be a touch big on you, it's probably about as good as you can do if you're on the skinny side.

(I'm a 38 in the chest, but need the shoulder size of a 36).

Shorten the sleeves and see if the tailor can do anything about the back. My guess is that a 34 will be too tight on you in the chest, but I suppose it's worth trying on if you can find one.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrads, shorter sleeves (half to full inch) and sides taken in, and you are good to go.

Back length slightly to long (but I admit I like my jackets a tiny bit shorter than most) and shoulders slightly too wide, but that does not matter. You are better fitted than most guys out there.

yeeth

Reaction score
hm i posted with the expectation of getting heavily criticised/flamed but apparently not... this is SF right? =D

hmm i'll hunt for a decent tailor and see if i can fix the wrinkling. I'm turning 21 in a few months so hopefully (although unlikely) i'll still grow a wee bit more.

btw not sure why 2 people have asked about the shirt - didn't think anything showed in the pics, but it's MTM from Singapore. White, french cuffs, textured diamonds (not sure how to describe it), fabric slightly thicker than the usual broadcloth. Light purple buttonhole stitching and purple patterned inner fabric for collar and cuffs (i had the tailor cut the angled cuffs slightly deeper to show the inner cuff fabric).

back to the suit - would chopping 0.5-1 inch off the bottom make me look taller? i'm approximately 5'6" so i need all the help i can get.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeeth
back to the suit - would chopping 0.5-1 inch off the bottom make me look taller? i'm approximately 5'6" so i need all the help i can get.

Dont touch the bottom unless you have to. You are in the normal range, dont change it.

As for shirt, yes it is nice.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy