• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Slim Fit Tailored Shirt

tailoredstuff

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Its my first post, my first slim fit tailor shirt, and ordered online!

Just wanted to get thoughts on whether this shirt is too tight or not. I've done a search on similar threads but I thought posting a picture of the shirt in question would be the easiest!

Sorry about the creases, I tried the shirt on for a test run at work.

I washed the shirt before wearing and ironing. Shrunk about 1cm. When standing in the neutral position everything feels just right (hugging around the chest but the pictures don't show it).

When I sit down, it tightens around the chest, waist and arm holes. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it looks a bit too tight in the chest and midsection. Also, something is off at the back of the left shoulder (perhaps because that shoulder is higher than the other). Not bad for a first online presumably MTM shirt.

tailoredstuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am considering increasing my chest, waist and armhole (not sure how I would do this) measurement by approximately 1 inch.

Have been told that the regular fit has an additional 1 inch allowance compared to the slim fit. Might go with that.

tailoredstuff

Reaction score

Heres a picture (not so good quality) of the shirt tucked in. Funnily enough, the waist feels a bit better today (maybe empty stomach).

The main problem is tugging around the chest and armpit.

I took off the button at the chest and felt a bit of relief (can increase the chest to solve this).

But how would I go about fixing the armpit problem?

Pendulum

Reaction score
I don't think you can fix that, if the armholes are too small there's no material to make them larger, so you'd have to buy a new shirt. Not really sure what's going on near the placket either but it upsets the design of the shirt to me.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Tucked in it looks fine to me. But in my experience not having a little more room in the shirt feels constricting. There's a lot of talk here about avoiding 'tent' shirts -- but don't take it to the extreme. A little room is necessary for comfort, and to hide your skinny bones (I speak from experience.)

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"]

Heres a picture (not so good quality) of the shirt tucked in. Funnily enough, the waist feels a bit better today (maybe empty stomach).

The main problem is tugging around the chest and armpit.

I took off the button at the chest and felt a bit of relief (can increase the chest to solve this).

But how would I go about fixing the armpit problem?
Chest still looks a bit tight, but midsection looks fine. Well done for a first go.

ddonicht

Reaction score
When it is tucked in, how well can you move your arms? You should have pretty much a full range of movement. If not, you'll want to increase the upper chest/shoulders a little bit.

tailoredstuff

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the help. Shirt is from Bawden Bespoke.

Arms move around alright, but its constricting on the arm pit. I think I will order another shirt and try the regular fit they offer (+1 inch to chest, waist and hips, +1/2-1/4 inch diameter of armhole).

Thanks again!

bjornb17

Reaction score
Shirt fit looks pretty good, however, the overlapping of the striping around the placket doesn't look all that great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads