• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First round interview at a TECH firm for a Sales role

namdaemun

Reaction score
I decided not to go the conventional charcoal gray or navy suit route. Why? People in silicon valley 1. dont know how to dress 2. don't understand what tailored suits are and 3. probably don't care

So I'll be wearing a medium gray window pane suit with either a light blue or white spread collar shirt with either my Drake's solid navy cashmere tie or a Drake's navy blue with white polka dot tie.

Would either of these be fine?

Lastly, do you think wearing my JL black double monks be too much or should I just go with some regular cap toes?

Thanks!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont stereotype Silicon Valley. Sales are still sales and depending on the industry vertical or customer accounts, 1) they dress no different than the financial services firms, 2) and bought suits from brooks or bespoke, and 3) flaunt labels just like those in finance.

But if you are just going to be a sales person at Tesla or Apple store, whatevers.

namdaemun

Reaction score
^Alright. Thank you for clearing the misconception.

No, it's not one of those companies but a large tech firm with brand equity!

Thanks again

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Alright. Thank you for clearing the misconception.

No, it's not one of those companies but a large tech firm with brand equity!

Thanks again

WTF is brand equity? Every tech firm has brand equity nowadays, including Clinkle, Secret, and Snapchat.

My suggestion is go for even less color and more austere. You would offend nobody dressing conservative business dress.

thermals

Reaction score
Don't try to pigeonhole startups; sales people in my experience that are in tech generally are pretty well dressed.

FWIW, I got a job at a tech company wearing a basic charcoal suit with a white spread collar shirt and no tie.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that happened already, update, please?

If it hasn't happened, don't wear a cashmere tie. It might be judged as too fancy. Also, monk strap shoes on an interview always will have more potential to harm than to help. Safely deviating from the norm on an interview means looking only slightly outside the norm.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have decided to do it, why ask? You know the firm to which you seek appointment.

Patek14

Reaction score

So I'll be wearing a medium gray window pane suit with either a light blue or white spread collar shirt with either my Drake's solid navy cashmere tie or a Drake's navy blue with white polka dot tie.

Would either of these be fine?

Lastly, do you think wearing my JL black double monks be too much or should I just go with some regular cap toes?

Thanks!

Tie wise, I'd pick the solid. I see no issue with a med grey windowpane suit. If all you SFers really think that dressing this way will have any impact on the outcome of the interview, then:

1. You are nuts
2. If you are correct and I'm nuts then this isn't a company you want to work for
3. Do you even work an office/professional job?

As long as an interviewee is dressed half decently, then attire is no longer a factor

namdaemun

Reaction score
Thanks, Gents.

I wore a gray windowpane suit with a light blue spread collar dress shirt and a navy blue polka dot tie. Oh, and a white pocket square. I ditched the monks and went with a classic black long wings.

I believe I've the job.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks, Gents.

I wore a gray windowpane suit with a light blue spread collar dress shirt and a navy blue polka dot tie. Oh, and a white pocket square. I ditched the monks and went with a classic black long wings. 

I believe I've the job.

Don't jinx yourself. Stop talking about it until you have an offer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads