• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post and a boot Question

familyman

Reaction score
I've been lurking for the last several months and have learned an incredible amount and I thank you all for that. It's finally time for me to ask a quesiton or two. From the IBM thread there are these pictures: IBM Guys with Boots More Guys with Boots They're wearing a style of boots that I can't seem to find anything about. They're very similar to a modern cap or plain toe (I think) but they extend up the ankle. I'd love to find something like this or even some information about acceptable footwear from the era. Thank you agian for all the information you're providing on this board, it's an incredible resource for those of us raised (far) outside the world of coat and tie but through circumstance or desire hope to dress properly as life requires.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ankle boots...? Like this?
CostumeBrownAnkleBoot2.jpg

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go to www.yoox.com, look at their ankle boots. Â Lots to choose from. Dan
If you're looking for a cheap solution, most any thrift store will have some castoffs of varying quality that you can wear. I wear ankle boots almost all of the time, and I have some that are beat as hell and some that are in really good condition. Those that are beat get pulled out in ugly weather or when I know I'll be somewhere detrimental to the quality of a good pair of boots.

familyman

Reaction score
Yes, you're right, lots of ankle boots out there. Most of them seem to fall into one of two camps though. The first would be too 'booty'. That is when they're on your feet there is quite a bit of chunkiness to the sole, even when in leather. The second group is like a chelsea boot, slip on and quite fine in the toe. Attractive, but not really my thing.
When I look at old photos it seems that when standing one can't tell whether the footwear it shoes or boots (from photos where people are both sitting and standing) The boots are thin of sole and classic of line. What would be a good classic shoe, yet extended up the leg.
Perhaps my perception is wrong and the boots were truly double soled and a bit chunky and it's just hard to see in old pictures.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Yes, you're right, lots of ankle boots out there. Most of them seem to fall into one of two camps though. The first would be too 'booty'. That is when they're on your feet there is quite a bit of chunkiness to the sole, even when in leather. The second group is like a chelsea boot, slip on and quite fine in the toe. Attractive, but not really my thing.
When I look at old photos it seems that when standing one can't tell whether the footwear it shoes or boots (from photos where people are both sitting and standing) The boots are thin of sole and classic of line. What would be a good classic shoe, yet extended up the leg.
Perhaps my perception is wrong and the boots were truly double soled and a bit chunky and it's just hard to see in old pictures.
Maybe you are looking for a chukka boot.

Dan

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean something like a dress shoe that happens to go above the ankle? Is this what you're talking about? Stacy Adams dress boot I have something like this, but made by Allen Edmonds. It's a cap-toe and a little bit more chunky in the sole (but still in the dress category). I'm sure other companies have had it in their ranges at one point.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Do you mean something like a dress shoe that happens to go above the ankle? Is this what you're talking about? Stacy Adams dress boot I have something like this, but made by Allen Edmonds. Â It's a cap-toe and a little bit more chunky in the sole (but still in the dress category). Â I'm sure other companies have had it in their ranges at one point.
Somebody should warn him to not actually purchase that item. Dan

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right.  Don't buy the Stacy Adams version.  Look for one made by a better line.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the same color and style as what I've got: Allen Edmonds Compton It's just sitting in my closet. Â I'm waiting to wear out a pair of crappy chukkas before I start wearing those.

familyman

Reaction score
Thank you. Now I know where to look, I just have to save a bit. Beautiful boots there though, just beautiful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads