• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of Allen Edmonds - question about heel height alteration

JohnGagne

Reaction score
I finally bought my first pair of AE shoes - Kenilworths - and absolutely love everything about them except the height of the heel, which comes in at an inch. For personal aesthetic reasons only, I wanted to ask the forum if a cobbler could alter the new shoe to add an additional 1/8" to 1/4" inch height to the heel. I'm not trying to compensate for being short or work around a self-esteem issue :) I just want to bring the shoe closer inline to what I personally like. However it may not be something that is advisable or possible. For that reason I came to the forum to ask two questions:

1) Is something like this possible, and
2) has anyone on the forum ever done it?

Any advice or first-hand accounts would be very much appreciated. I know that extreme alterations will cause the shoe to wear out much faster, but my hope is that something small like 1/8" to 1/4" is do-able without much fanfare? Thanks all!

John

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.

JohnGagne

Reaction score
KObalto, could you elaborate just a little as to why? I'm really trying to learn something here and searching around online is slightly more difficult than I would have imagined. Other threads on SF point to increased wear due to throwing off the balance of the shoe, but there was a single post stating that 1/8" might be okay and that falls within my range. Thanks!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last is made with the anticipation of a specific heel height. Your foot bends a little differently the more height you add, so the last has to be made knowing what that angle is. When you start messing with that, your shoe may not fit quite right, or the vamp may remain creased when you're standing flat (like you were in mid step).

I would just leave it be.

Karl_in_Chicago

Reaction score

The last is made with the anticipation of a specific heel height. Your foot bends a little differently the more height you add, so the last has to be made knowing what that angle is. When you start messing with that, your shoe may not fit quite right, or the vamp may remain creased when you're standing flat (like you were in mid step).
I would just leave it be.

+1

JohnGagne

Reaction score
I also read that any work I do like this "voids the warranty" on my AE shoes - and I didn't think about that before. I think you guys may be right - as much as I want something to look a certain way, I may just need to let this one go. Great information though, and thank you!

I'm going to stop by a local cobbler today as well and ask for another opinion, just to close this thing out. I'll post the results here later on.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I also read that any work I do like this "voids the warranty" on my AE shoes - and I didn't think about that before.  I think you guys may be right - as much as I want something to look a certain way, I may just need to let this one go.  Great information though, and thank you!

I'm going to stop by a local cobbler today as well and ask for another opinion, just to close this thing out.  I'll post the results here later on.

yu 2 related(see avatar)??
:eh:

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads