• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM MyTailor shirt - feedback please

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Adding to note: shirt has only been ironed, not washed yet, so it may shrink a little.

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Ok, washing now. Just saw some other threads that recommend this. I think I'll give it 2 washes, an iron, and then see how it fits.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wash, dry, wash again, dry again, wash again, then iron dry. You really need to run about three washes on the shirt. When you re-post, button the collar so that we can evaluate its fit. It's hard to draw any conclusions about the fit or stance of the collar when it's unbuttoned.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
This is a slim shirt? Seriously? Needs to be taken way in on the sides.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

Quite possibly, but extremely hard to tell until he shrink washes it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't think cotton shrinks that much, at least my MTM's never have.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 It's a tent and the minimal shrinkage from washing won't help. You have to beat these guys over the head with a baseball bat to get a decent fitting shirt. Sleeves look way long too. Who measured you?

Jussi

Reaction score
That is not a slim fit. That's pretty full wide fit. To make it a slim fit, adjust following things (if they won't be fixed - which I don't believe, since there's so vast amount of extra - in wash):

Shoulders: Make the yoke narrower so the shoulder seams will set on the outer end of your collarbones. That's the area where you see that little "knob" in your first picture where the fabric begins to crease. I'd say that you might have to take in ~1.5 - 2.5 cm (~1/2" - 1") on each side.

Sleeves: Very long and baggy. Shorten them by ~2.5 cm (~1"), make the bicep (and lower) area narrower - I'd suggest you to flex your bicep, measure it and to add ~3-4cm (~1.5") to it (to give you a nice starting point - in the future you might make it even more narrow).

If the armhole feels roomy (it looks like it, judging by all the extra fabric around it - however, this might be a sign of dropped shoulder seam), remember that it should be a relatively close fit - measure around the armpit and the end of your collarbone and you'll get the base where you'll add ~3 cm (depending on your preferences).

The cuffs are too wide, allowing the sleeve to drop on your hand.

Chest: Looks almost OK, except for there's some weird angular patch of fabric over your shirt made from the same fabric. A bit like one sided bra.

Waist: Wayyyy too wide. Sit down (don't slump), measure your waist. Then stand up (don't push out your stomach), measure your waist. Add ~4cm to the standing circumference or use the exact sitting circumference.

That way you'll get a nicely fitting slim fit.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
+1 It's a tent and the minimal shrinkage from washing won't help. You have to beat these guys over the head with a baseball bat to get a decent fitting shirt. Sleeves look way long too. Who measured you?
I don't think cotton shrinks that much, at least my MTM's never have.
MyTailor's shirts shrink a lot in the wash. A lot more than you'd expect, which is why -- as I find myself saying in pretty much every MyTailor thread that emerges -- it's useless to post fit pics until you've washed several times. The difference really is like night and day. I agree that the shirt looks loose around the waist (and in other spots), to the point where even MyTailor's infamous shrinkage won't produce a totally snug fit here. But that's the problem with MyTailor. You really do, as Joel says, have to "beat these guys over the head with a baseball bat" to get a slim-fitting shirt. Their house style is fairly loose, if technically fitting. What's a damned shame is that I'm actually a big fan of the fabric selection, pricing, and construction of MyTailor's shirts. Once you dial in the right fit, they're a fantastic place to get dress shirts. But it definitely takes a few orders and a fair amount of haggling to get to a slim-fitting template. Not everyone has the patience for that process, and I can't say I blame them. But for those who persist, the payoff tends to be very worthwhile.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmilieMitchell