• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Interview Suit

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I think the suit you posted is nice. The problem is, to me, is that it says "welcome, let me take you to your table".

Last edited:

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Hi bud, I'm going to take a bit of a different approach here: I teach part-time at a top ranked university in the Midwest primarily to psychology and business students. In my course I take a very applied approach and emphasize the professional development of my students. I don't go very deep insofar as professional dress is concerned but it is very apparent to me that most college seniors have absolutely no idea how to dress. When they facilitate class-based presentations the women tend to look either very nice/business appropriate while the guys look like nine year olds at a wedding - ill fitting clothes, wrinkled shirt and tie but no jacket, $40 Sketchers shoes, etc. I don't discount them for this in their presentations as I focus on the content instead. As well, I've interviewed multiple recent graduate school graduates - including some with a few years of experience under their belts - and they dress very similarly to my students. Here's what you need to understand: If you are interviewing for a responsible job, especially one at a multi-billion dollar company, it is incumbent upon you to find a suit that you like and also works well in the environment for which you are applying. While that Burberry suit may look great on a runway it would look absolutely awful at my company - and I work for one where people can dress a bit "flashy" and get away with it. There is a world of difference between having a unique look to your dress/fashion and looking like you're a lone wolf. If I interviewed you in that suit I would question your ability to work well with others, i.e., "I don't care what other people think - I love this suit and I'm going to wear it anyway." What other topics will this guy discount the opinions of others? How is he going to present himself in meetings with higher level professionals? How will that reflect upon me as his boss?

Furthermore, why in the world would you spend $1,000+ on only one suit given you have a sparse wardrobe? Why not spend $500 - $800 and get two suits, or buy only one but then pick up some nice shoes as well (and no you shouldn't buy really flashy shoes either)? I completely agree that you are best off purchasing a single breasted navy or charcoal suit. You need to understand you are now entering a different phase of your life and what is "cool" or "trendy" when you're 22 isn't cool or trendy to someone in their late 20's, 30's, 40's, etc.
With that suit you not only will have a hard time interviewing in a job like that you'd experience even more difficulty if you dressed as "fashion forward" on the job. If you end up buying this suit despite the repeated arguments against doing so I would wager you have more serious issues to work through above and beyond your clothing choices. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

paganoglenn

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, especially Scottyb06. After the advice, I see where everyone is coming from. I originally liked the suit because it looked good on the runway and didn't think to deeply into it. I have decided on a more conservative navy blue suit. I am going to head my local Nordstrom (2 hours away) soon to find a good suit. I have been looking at this one, this suit and this suit. Will any of these work well?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:slayer:
(I didn't click to see the suits you are interested in.)

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are much better. Boss isn't a favorite around here, but their suits are flattering on some people and picking it up on sale is a great thing. I prefer the second suit.

Last edited:

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, especially Scottyb06. After the advice, I see where everyone is coming from. I originally liked the suit because it looked good on the runway and didn't think to deeply into it. I have decided on a more conservative navy blue suit. I am going to head my local Nordstrom (2 hours away) soon to find a good suit. I have been looking at this one, this suit and this suit. Will any of these work well?

You're welcome. I really like the second and third. I also own a Hugo Boss suit and love it. I only wear it a few times per year (don't need a suit for work) but think it looks great! I also really like the navy color on #'s 2 and 3. Be sure you also get them tailored well at a good place (Nordstrom will do well in this realm). When you're finished swing by the shoe department - I recommend Allen Edmonds or a similar level of quality. For your style I'd look at a pair of Carlyle or Fifth Avenue's in brown (Park Ave.'s would work as well but are likely too conservative or you). Post some pics when you're all done!

Scottyb06

Reaction score
One more thing - when you get to the store if you see a suit which really catches your eye - but is striped - stay away. Get a solid suit and you can pair it with different types/patterns of shirts. I fell into this trap and now have a suit which looks like I should be on Boardwalk Empire and never wear!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads