• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Indochino suit - Fit Critique/Suggestions

chip3341

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my first custom suit from Indochino. I'm really unknowledgeable re suit rules and fit. My impressions:

1) The pants look/feel fine
2) The vest is fine
3) The jacket is too tight across the chest. It pulls a bit and, unless I hunch my shoulders forward, I feel like the opening is way too big.
4) Are the stomach/hips too big?

A couple frustrations/complications

1) I've done powerlifting for a few years, and I've definitely got a few wonky measurements as a result.
2) I also have child birthing hips.

Is this jacket workable? They give you $75 tailor credit, but I could have it remade if I wanted. However, that will take a few weeks and I would really like to have it for work in about a month.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry the pics aren't great - I don't have much to work with

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typical Indochino rubbish. You really should have read the various threads on this company BEFORE wasting your money rather than after.

Seek a remake or your money back, there is no prospect of this being altered to anything that should be worn in public. The collar is beyond words and even the waistcoat is pulling, and that is before considering any detail.

cruxisfalcon

Reaction score

I think you should go for a remake on this. The collar doesn't fit at all, the buttoning point is too high, and the jacket is too short. Even if you try to get it altered, solving these problems will cost more than $75.

I would echo this. The combination of the jacket being too short and the button stance being so high makes the hips look worse. I'd suggest a remake.

chip3341

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies guys. Regarding remaking, how would you suggest I go about this? Go to a tailor and have him remeasure everything?

Regarding length, what is the general rule of thumb?

AdamWill

Reaction score
+1 everyone else, just a couple additions: you're not meant to button the bottom button of your vest. For length - the easiest rule of thumb is simply that when looked at from behind it should cover your butt. Yours looks to be several inches short of this. The current fashion trend is towards jackets shorter than this rule, but even if you're going for that look (which will mean you'll look hilariously dated in a few years, note), it shouldn't be THAT short.

chip3341

Reaction score
Ugh. The more I compare my pics to others the more I realize how awful the fit is. I'm going to see a tailor with it tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to send the whole thing back for a refund.

Sorry to be so full of questions, but can anyone point me to any sort of where-to-buy guide for an off the rack modern suit? I really like Indochino's stylistic thrust, but clearly their fitting is awful.

I have 1 Brooks Brothers suit but I would really like to fine something lighter weight and less conservative, which is why I went with Indochino in the first place.

Finally, for people like me with weird measurements, are there some places that might be better than others? Nothing is even close off the rack.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the pants are too tight in the seat, and the tapered pants, flap pockets and waist suppression emphasize the hips. There's probably no off-the-rack suit fit guide for a muscular guy like you. Please learn the lesson: first research and ask for advice. At least the decent vest could be kept for use with a different, non-matching suit. Side note: the tie and shirt are too similar in color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads