• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine cutlery, EDC, and pocket jewelry": Here we post reviews, recommendations, tips about and appreciation of.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty gentlemany...

20230607_161040.jpg

20230607_161045.jpg

Cliffnopus

Reaction score
For over 50 years my mantra has been; 'never go anywhere without a knife and flashlight'. I carry a Victorinox Classic and a Olight 1R EOS light. Used almost daily, I might add.

That mantra was a recommendation by a SAS friend of my fathers.

ps: and for those who get upset "Oh my, why do you carry a knife?" The answer is: "Because you don't".

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
The best EDC pocket knife when wearing any sort of tailored clothing is the Swiss Army Classic. It's very small and light, and won't "print" outside a suit pocket. The scissors are pretty useful for snipping loose threads, and I actually use the toothpick. It's hardly a weapon and shouldn't terrify reasonable liberals.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best EDC pocket knife when wearing any sort of tailored clothing is the Swiss Army Classic. It's very small and light, and won't "print" outside a suit pocket. The scissors are pretty useful for snipping loose threads, and I actually use the toothpick. It's hardly a weapon and shouldn't terrify reasonable liberals.
I think that you'll find plenty of liberals here, myself included, who love pocket knives. In pocket today, I have a custom Wilkins Leafstorm with bronzed titanium scales, and a Microtech MSI with contoured black 10 scales.

rjc149

Reaction score
I think that you'll find plenty of liberals here, myself included, who love pocket knives. In pocket today, I have a custom Wilkins Leafstorm with bronzed titanium scales, and a Microtech MSI with contoured black 10 scales.
Most of the compassionate people I know are liberals.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a little 58 mm one from Good Art Hlywd: https://www.selfedge.com/good-art?product_id=2529
And love it, but find the tools too small for most uses. I carry a titanium Daily Customs SAK tinker, and use the three screwdriver heads (2 flathead and one Phillips) very regularly.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you can go a little bigger than a classic, especially if you carry in a jacket pocket and not a trouser pocket.

I’d consider having a tailor add an inside “knife pocket” to a pair of trousers, similar to the pockets some pants have (had?) for smaller cell phones.

rjc149

Reaction score
I think you can go a little bigger than a classic, especially if you carry in a jacket pocket and not a trouser pocket.

I’d consider having a tailor add an inside “knife pocket” to a pair of trousers, similar to the pockets some pants have (had?) for smaller cell phones.
I often wear dress slacks without a jacket in the summer. I actually am considering having small knife pockets sewn in to all my dress pants keep it vertical. I used to carry a Swiss Army “Waiter” model which is smaller than their full sized ones, but I find the scissors and nail file fairly useful for urban/office EDC, especially for cutting small moleskin patches should swollen feet start giving me hot spots in my dress shoes (not uncommon in summer).

I also carry a small Gerber multitool in my briefcase in case I need a more substantial blade or pliers. That will
probably be upgraded to a Leatherman Squirt.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I often wear dress slacks without a jacket in the summer. I actually am considering having small knife pockets sewn in to all my dress pants keep it vertical. I used to carry a Swiss Army “Waiter” model which is smaller than their full sized ones, but I find the scissors and nail file fairly useful for urban/office EDC, especially for cutting small moleskin patches should swollen feet start giving me hot spots in my dress shoes (not uncommon in summer).

I also carry a small Gerber multitool in my briefcase in case I need a more substantial blade or pliers. That will
probably be upgraded to a Leatherman Squirt.
An easy fix that you can have a seamstress do is to sew a line into your pocket bags, maybe 2” long, and just 1.5” from the side seam, just enough to hold a knife without a clip vertical. Adjust for knife size, of course.

I consider a Swiss Army knife my multitool, and nearly always carry a separate knife that is easy to operate with one hand - I find this safest when doing a task that requires both hands, since you can easily close the knife without sheathing or needing your second hand, or simply having to put down an open blade, but everyone has different use cases.

rjc149

Reaction score
An easy fix that you can have a seamstress do is to sew a line into your pocket bags, maybe 2” long, and just 1.5” from the side seam, just enough to hold a knife without a clip vertical. Adjust for knife size, of course.

I consider a Swiss Army knife my multitool, and nearly always carry a separate knife that is easy to operate with one hand - I find this safest when doing a task that requires both hands, since you can easily close the knife without sheathing or needing your second hand, or simply having to put down an open blade, but everyone has different use cases.
That's a good idea, hell I could maybe even do that myself.

My main pocket knife is a Spyderco Tenacious (the S35VN steel version), which I got because it's 100% one-handed open and close. But it has a more aggressive "tactical" look to it, as it's large (3.25 inch blade) and I flick it open from the thumb hole, which mimics a switchblade. I never need a blade like that for the office, I only carry it when hiking/camping or doing physical labor of some sort. It would tear up a worsted wool trouser pocket.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea, hell I could maybe even do that myself.

My main pocket knife is a Spyderco Tenacious (the S35VN steel version), which I got because it's 100% one-handed open and close. But it has a more aggressive "tactical" look to it, as it's large (3.25 inch blade) and I flick it open from the thumb hole, which mimics a switchblade. I never need a blade like that for the office, I only carry it when hiking/camping or doing physical labor of some sort. It would tear up a worsted wool trouser pocket.
There are tiny knives that are super useful and while you thumb flick them naturally, you can also slow roll them like my wife likes to do. I recommend this QSP mini penguin to everyone. The sheepsfoot style blade shape and tiny size makes it innocuous to nearly everyone: https://www.traditionalpocketknives...n-mini-knife-qs130s-gray-jigged-titanium-m390
It is also compliant with all laws in North America (IANAL)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I Love Ansos” work but I’m struggling to think of the use case for this. Is this meant to be used as a neck knife? Sure but why does anyone need one of those?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Love Ansos” work but I’m struggling to think of the use case for this. Is this meant to be used as a neck knife? Sure but why does anyone need one of those?

It would be an excellent art knife for cuts, making fine utility cuts. That pommel would be confortable in the palm, the hole allows you to pinch with the thumb and third finger, and the index finger would be on the top of the knife.

Well designed, but also for extremely specialized use. Anything you would pinch grip, this would be used for. He says that it would be good for outdoor use. That I don't really see, but for sculpting, whittling, and utlity draw cuts, yes, absolutely.

I'm guessing that the sales are not going to be super high.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads