Finding inexpensive seven-folds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brescd01, Aug 14, 2004.

1. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

I realize I have very few ties to go with my great new clothes: does anyone know where I can find inexpensive seven fold ties? I know about Carlo Franco, but I wondered where I can also pick up Kiton and Luciano Barbera ties, which seem very attractive to me.

2. tdial

tdial Senior member

You can buy the Kiton 7-folds as Neiman's for 200 bucks. Oh, you said inexpensive Kiton or Barbera. I guess Ebay's probably a good bet for the Kitons. Don't know about the Barbera ties. During the NM sales, the Kiton 7-folds can be had for ~100-120. But I really haven't seen them for too much less than that.

3. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I've seen quite a few Kiton ties on Ebay in the past for no more than $89.99

4. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Hey doc, l was just wondering; do you wear a tie [and be-spoke suit to work], or do you wear your old suits without a tie.

What do the admin workers and your wife think of your new makeover?

Regards: shooman.

5. kiton

kiton Member

maybe you should trie tiedeals or carlo franco

6. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

I have been forgoing ties, but I realize, like my habits before, this is due to a poor tie collection (only 4).

7. Sinbad

Sinbad Member

Hi all.
    I´m new to this interesting forum but nontheless I hope I can offer my modest opinion.
    I´ve spent the first 30 years of my life in Italy and I can tell that Kiton is not recognized as the best ties maker of Italy. A brand you may want to try is Marinella from Naples. My 2 cents

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Strangely enough for a tie maker in Italy, Marinella uses English silks, and in my opinion they are a bit on the too classic side for me.

I will leave construction discussions for others as I am biased.

JJF

9. kiton

kiton Member

wait till the sale. Marinella is really great or try Battistoni, Drakes, Turnbull & Asser, Charvet, Brioni. Remember, a seven fold will never become really cheap. One of cheapest and best: veldhuijzenvanzanten.nl

10. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You'll see seven-folds from Kiton, Borrelli, and others frequently on eBay for reasonable prices. Kiton seven-folds do get marked down during Neiman Marcus sales; most of the time, they won't make it to the Last Call sale, but they do sometimes: I picked up a navy shepherd's check Kiton seven-fold tie at a Last Call sale for $70 or $80 a couple of years ago.

There's also Carlo Franco and FIHTies. I've never tried FIHTies's seven-folds, so I can't comment on the quality. I have tried the Carlo Franco ties, and I can tell you that they're very good.

11. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Well then...What the %^*$% are ya waitin for? [​IMG]

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Kiton, Barbera and Borrelli ties from Louis, Richards and Mitchells are on sale at Filene's Basement for a pittance right now. Too bad that I need ties not at all... and am broke.

13. rayk

rayk Senior member

I've added numerous NWT Talbott 7-fold ties to my collection over the past year by doing occasional Ebay searches. Â Retail for these ties is about $195, but I've paid on average $100 by the above method. Â While the patterns of these ties are a bit much for some, they are IMO the standard of excellence in 7-fold ties. Â This example is for a previously owned tie, but it will give you an example. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW Unless label recognition is very important to you...and I can't imagine why is would be...don't overlook Carlo Franco ties. Â While I've purchased only a few, they are among my favorites. Â They are of quality silk, well constructed, and marvelously attractive. Â And Chuck's prices are simply unbeatable.

14. rws

rws Active Member

This sounds appealling.  Has Marinelli a website?

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

The Talbott's never appealed to me, but they are very well made. koji