• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Twill Briefcase

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for a briefcase. I work at a very casual company, no dress code at all, but I still take pride in my appearance, so I'm thinking the backpack-mesenger bag is no longer going to cut it.

I am interested in the Filson Twill Briefcase. I'd like to buy something versatile, so that I can use it with jeans regularly, but could also be paired with a suit if need be. Is the Filson proper for this? It seems like it would be.

Also, is anyone aware of a shop in NYC where I can check out the twill briefcases in their different colors?

Thank you.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I am interested in the Filson Twill Briefcase. I'd like to buy something versatile, so that I can use it with jeans regularly, but could also be paired with a suit if need be. Is the Filson proper for this? It seems like it would be.
I agree - it's a great bag for casual looks. If you want to save a few bucks keep any eye on ebay - there are a few wholesalers who sell them at 10-20% less than the regular retail price. Barbour also makes some similar bags in the same price range as well.

Also, is anyone aware of a shop in NYC where I can check out the twill briefcases in their different colors?
You can get them in any color you like, as long it's dark green or tan.
teacha.gif

Luckyguy

Reaction score
I need to see the size before I get it, and while eBay has some good prices, I'd have no chance to return if I didn't like it.

and I'd get tan
smile.gif

Among other leather briefcases, I have one of these. It is a very versatile, virtually indestructible bag. I like the ruggedness of it. The official dimensions are 16 1/2" W x 14" H x 7 1/2 " D.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having taken a look at their luggage in person (this was at a small clothing / outfitter shop in Portland, ME), I was very very impressed. Good workmanship and a style that will never be dated. If I was in your shoes, though, I'd give a hard look to their zip-top tote bag. I'm not averse to dudes carrying around tote-bags and I often find them to work a bit better for casual non-work situations (it's easier to jam a bunch of stuff for a picnic or a pick-up soccer game into a tote than a briefcase).

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
Saks had the briefcase a while ago (near the escalator by the men's accessories area). Maybe call their men's dept and see if they have any?

***There's also a small store called Upland Trading Co. by 13th and 3rd Ave. (IIRC) that might have some Filsons.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ephemeralcoherence
Saks had the briefcase a while ago (near the escalator by the men's accessories area). Maybe call their men's dept and see if they have any?

***There's also a small store called Upland Trading Co. by 13th and 3rd Ave. (IIRC) that might have some Filsons.

Tent and Trail in Tribeca/City Hall should have them as well.

norton

Reaction score
I have some filson clothing and am very impressed with the quality, but for a briefcase I'd also look at Duluth Pack. I drag their packs through the lakes and woods of northern Minnesota almost every summer, they're indestructible. I have a Duluth Pack briefcase and computer pouch that I really like. They make great stuff so compare price, color etc. with Filson and see what you like, you're safe either way.

http://www.duluthpack.com/sub_businessgear.aspx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads