• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fez hats.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't feel a smoking cap can be worn outside of the home whereas a fez can. I believe one can see fez hats being worn in Egypt and possibly Morroco.
They are at least named after Fez, Morocco, right? My friend visited Fez and made sure to buy a fez as soon as he got there. They are indeed all over the place.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I suppose the Persian Lamb hat might be the best compromise.

I think a karakul is a pretty good looking hat.

250px-Hamid_Karzai.jpg

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
They are at least named after Fez, Morocco, right? My friend visited Fez and made sure to buy a fez as soon as he got there. They are indeed all over the place.

In '98, I spent a month in Morocco, including four days in Fez. The only people I saw wearing a Fez were doormen.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have plans to purchase a midget motorcycle as well?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know a young boy whose primping and preening in front of the mirror is enhanced by the wearing of a fez while he murmurs about how smart and sophisticated he is. Each day, he closes the bathroom door saddened at the thought that his dreams are grander than the lonely garret he fills with thrift shop castoffs and clippings from European magazines. He dries his tears toadying up to the truants in the high school parking lot. Sometimes he makes a particularly witty remark about how much cooler they are then all the other mean kids, and they give him a cigarette and let him wear their jackets. But the fez is his alone.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
and they give him a cigarette
A clove cigarette? All the pseuds I knew in junior high smoked cloves.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But the fez is his alone.
I am reminded of a passage involving a Harrovian boater in Stephen Fry's Monte Cristo update The Stars' Tennis Balls.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
The only people I saw wearing a Fez were doormen.
Same with Cairo.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
scan0001-15.jpg
Mounia Orhozemane, modeling YSL Rive Gauche, wearing fez. Fall / winter, 1984.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many Jewish Morrocan immigrants in Montreal throw traditional hennah parties to celebrate weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Complete with traditional Morrrocan garb, Arabian decor, music, belly dancing, couscous, and hennah paste smeared on the palm of your hand for good luck, they are lots of fun. I have a traditional red one but I think as a groom I wore an off-white colored fez during part of my wedding hennah celebration.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know a young boy whose primping and preening in front of the mirror is enhanced by the wearing of a fez while he murmurs about how smart and sophisticated he is. Each day, he closes the bathroom door saddened at the thought that his dreams are grander than the lonely garret he fills with thrift shop castoffs and clippings from European magazines. He dries his tears toadying up to the truants in the high school parking lot. Sometimes he makes a particularly witty remark about how much cooler they are then all the other mean kids, and they give him a cigarette and let him wear their jackets. But the fez is his alone.
This isn't your personal blog so refrain from posting self-reflections. Besides, I thought your forte was making anti-Semitic remarks?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
A clove cigarette? All the pseuds I knew in junior high smoked cloves.
I'm sure your cloves and Cliff's Notes Machiavelli responded well to the cafes of Southern California.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
scan0001-15.jpg
Mounia Orhozemane, modeling YSL Rive Gauche, wearing fez. Fall / winter, 1984.

Nice. She looks fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads