• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feds Probe Sharptons Finances

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Al and Jesse are nothing alike.

Al is a really bad man. He has never been willing to deal with his minipsumation of the Tawana Brawley episode in a responsible fashion. He ruined someone's life with a false accusation and now hides his income behind a bunch of shell organizations to avoid paying the judgment.

Jesse is just making a living, and there is no crime in being a race hustler. His personal life isn't my business.

I would have believed Tawana also, everyone has episodes of misjudgments. While no follower of Al it amusing when whites attack him, as if he is supposed to be like by whites, most whites disliked MLK in his day(not to say he and Al are comparable). He has also done good, especially in regards to bringing attention to the police corruption in the N.Y in regards to their abuse.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
dopey,

If you've read my posts, you'll see that I certainly agree with you about Al S. But, I believe that the judgement was paid (by friends of Al S), so there is no need to hide anything to avoid paying the judgement. As you say "Al is a really bad man". But it's not solely for the Tawana Brawley case.

As to Jesse J. and his race hustler profession. I guess it could be an "honorable" profession, but not the way Jesse does it. It's no secret that he has used extortion and intimidation throughout his career, and has played fast and loose with funds that are not his.

To me Jesse Jackson's methods are not terribly different than those of some class action lawyers, unions and other pressure groups that extort businesses into paying them to go away (which is not to say that they aren't sometimes right). I don't think it's fair to deny him a living for using the same methods as others do. If he crosses ethical lines and is dishonest, beyond the dishonesty inherent in demagoguery, I am unaware.

Al is worse than just the Tawana Brawley case - the clothing store in Harlem was another one of his lowest moments. His kind of opportunistic race hustling really harms people. I wasn't aware that "friends of Al" paid off his debts, from the Brawley case, but his having access to money despite showing no assets to the IRS or his creditors is no surprise.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I would have believed Tawana also, everyone has episodes of misjudgments. While no follower of Al it amusing when whites attack him, as if he is supposed to be like by whites, most whites disliked MLK in his day(not to say he and Al are comparable). He has also done good, especially in regards to bringing attention to the police corruption in the N.Y in regards to their abuse.

He isn't supposed to be white. He is supposed to be honest, fair and responsible for his actions. Just like you. You don't get to be scum just because you play for the black team.

riveroaks

Reaction score

Don't be dragging MLK into this.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He isn't supposed to be white. He is supposed to be honest, fair and responsible for his actions. Just like you. You don't get to be scum just because you play for the black team.

You are right about having to be honest in TB's case he messed up, but as I said everyone has misjudgments, I'd beleive her too. But for me if whites did like him he'd be doing a bad job.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are right about having to be honest in TB's case he messed up, but as I said everyone has misjudgments, I'd beleive her too. But for me if whites did like him he'd be doing a bad job.
Why don't the two of us enter into an agreement, a Sharpton swap, as it were. I will continue to be white, yet I will like AS. That will free you to be both black, and dislike him. I think this is a zero sum solution that will benefit everybody.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riveroaks

Not that I want to go too far down the road of comparing Sharpton (whom I regard as obnoxious buffoon) with MLK, but jpierpoint's point is a valid one. Now, 40+ years after he was murdered, we all (more or less, anyway) agree he was a great leader who accomplished much good. There's an implicit undertone, however, in the comments of some white folks that if articulated would read something like: "Hey, I have great respect for Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, and Lionel Richie, so it's beyond dispute that my objections to Sharpton [or whoever] have nothing to do with his race or with the focus he brings, however ineptly, to issues of race . . ." I think this is sometimes a bit disingenuous.

As jpierpoint observes, many white folks had much the same kind of contempt and hatred for MLK while he was alive that people now express toward Sharpton and Jackson. My father has told me that he was at work when the news broke that MLK had been killed. One of his colleagues immediately commented "Thank god that's the end of Martin Luther ****."

That's not to suggest that 40 years from now we'll all hold Sharpton and Jackson in the same esteem that we now hold King, or even that they aren't just self-aggrandizing hustlers trading on King's legacy (although with respect to Jackson in particular, I wouldn't go so far as to say "just" in that context). But the possibilities that (1) they are genuinely exploitative and offensive; and (2) some of people's reaction to them stems from discomfort with the issues they focus on, are not mutually exclusive. Stopped clocks and all that.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riveroaks
Actually,

While I'm not a Sharpton fan, Jpeirpont has a viable point. Aside from Jesse and Al, the same things were said about Dr. Martin Luther King 40+ years ago, regarding him calling attention to racial injustices in America. Even though you had a fair number of Whites in support of the Civil Rights movement and Dr. King, there was significant number who also felt he was problematic, and a race baiter(especially in the South). Some even deemed it wrong for Dr. King to be in disagreeance with the unequal treatment during the Jim Crow era in the South. There is nothing new said about Jesse or Al, that hasn't been said about Dr. King, Evers or any other past Black community leaders.

Riveroaks, are you from Houston?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just the other day I used the same trick to prove that evolution was a flawed theory.

"These same scientist you think are so smart with all their evolution theories are a bunch of idiots," I told him. "Remember how they laughed at anyone who didn't believe the world was flat?" "In a hundred years from now, everyone will laugh at them for having believed in evolution, just like we laugh at them now for having thought the earth was flat."

The guy didn't stand a chance against my impeccable logic.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the other day I used the same trick to prove that evolution was a flawed theory.

"These same scientist you think are so smart with all their evolution theories are a bunch of idiots," I told him. "Remember how they laughed at anyone who didn't believe the world was flat?" "In a hundred years from now, everyone will laugh at them for having believed in evolution, just like we laugh at them now for having thought the earth was flat."

It isn't analogous. You are white so wouldn't appreciate what he does in regards to Blacks, I do not think thats illogical, as most white didn't when MLK was active.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

But did he throw the baby out with the bathwater?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Nope. It stuck to him like tar.

Well-played.
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
But for me if whites did like him he'd be doing a bad job.

So what type of job is he doing to lead racially based economic attacks against Koreans? Oh wait, that wasn't Al, just one of his organizations, the National Action Network. And of course, arson, and the resulting deaths, were just collateral damage, right?

If Al ever became President and I were a Korean merchant, I would just close up shop and go on welfare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads