• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Variety Meats

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think "variety meats" are the best part. In Asian cuisine it`s standard stuff, and you get a huge variety of it too. Here is something from one of my regular Yakitori places in Japan. I`m not even sure what it is, but I think it`s chicken ovaries connected to the egg portion (all one piece). A pic I posted in another thread of fish eyeballs, which are common in Japan. On top are "matsutake" mushrooms (that`s about $50 worth of mushrooms in that pic).

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Never had. How is it prepared?

It's a traditional QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois recipe, usually served with tourtière (meat pie) and turkey during the Holidays. My mother-in-law makes a great ragoût de patte. Here's the recipe my wife will make next week:

Ingredients:

Grilled flour
250 ml all purpose flour

Boulettes (meat balls)
1kg (2lbs) ground pork (semi lean)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
10 to 15ml piment de Jamaique/ 2 to 3 teaspoons (Pimenta dioica): this lends it that particular taste (along with cloves)
10ml/2 teaspoons cloves
5ml/1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Ragoût
10ml butter
6 to 8 pig's feet
1 onion, chopped
celery leaves, chopped
1 bay leaf
10ml cloves, ground
10ml piment de Jamaique (Pimenta dioica)
coarse salt to taste
pepper to taste
1.5L cold water
284ml beef stock

Oven at 350degF

In a cast iron pan, grill flour at med heat or in the oven until golden brown. Pass through a strainer and set aside in a covered bowl.

In a bowl, mix all ingredients for meat balls and shape into 1'' balls and set aside.

Melt butter in pot with thick bottom. Sear pigs feet, then add onion, celery leaves, bay leaf, cloves, piment de Jamaique, salt and pepper. Grill pigs feet until a nice golden brown.

Add cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Half cover the pot and simmer at med heat for 2.5 hrs until meat is cooked. Add beef stock, stir and let cool.

Remove pigs feet from stock and set aside. Bring stock to a boil and gently add meatballs. Simmer for 10 mins.

Slowly add 125 to 250ml (1/2 to 1 cup) grilled flour by sifting it through a strainer into the broth. Simmer 20min. on low heat. Remove from heat and put cooked pigs feet back in and allow to rest 30 minutes before serving.

My wife usually picks all the meat out of the pigs feet and puts it back into the ragoût without the bones. When she has enough time, she will also precook a few more pigs feet, pick out all that meat and incorporate it into the meatball mixture as well.

It ain't a traditional QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois Christmas without ragoût de patte! There are obviously variations on the recipe, but this is a pretty good one. You can serve the ragoût with meat pie and turkey or on its own with some boiled or mashed potatoes and beets along with a good baguette.
teacha.gif

patte2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics