• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Disney movie

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The best thing Disney ever did was realize that Studio Ghibli was producing a superior product, and position themselves to buy the American distribution rights, put John Lasseter ( a huge fan who respects the work ) in charge, and put enough money into it to make sure that the dubbed product stands up to the quality of the original.

Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howls Moving Castle IMO easily trump anything Disney animators have produced in the past 15 or so years.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The best thing Disney ever did was realize that Studio Ghibli was producing a superior product, and position themselves to buy the American distribution rights, put John Lasseter ( a huge fan who respects the work ) in charge, and put enough money into it to make sure that the dubbed product stands up to the quality of the original.

Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howls Moving Castle IMO easily trump anything Disney animators have produced in the past 15 or so years.

I agree, but you cannot deny Disney's heritage and the impact they had on animation (and early comics) as a whole.

Though I'm not sure it's the best, Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki. I'm big on the naturalistic themes and my eyes just light up whenever I watch this.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Though I'm not sure it's the best, Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki. I'm big on the naturalistic themes and my eyes just light up whenever I watch this.

I'm really torn between Mononoke and Spirited Away. Any way you cut it, they are modern classics.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Hocus Pocus.

Obviously; Bette Midler has a starring role!

Personally, I have nothing against Miss M, but after watching her butcher the greatest theater role ever written (Mama Rose in Gypsy) I lost a lot of respect for the broad.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing how so many have a different fav, shows how good Disney is I guess.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lion King was the last good one though. Mulan was... *meh*. After that they just kinda got silly and I quit watching. The older ones are all pretty good.

aarghh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
The Jungle Books, by far! Louis Prima.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

+1. The scatting on "I want to be like you" is phenomenal. Isn't Sam Butera on the trumpet?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim

Or possibly ever. Miyazaki is brilliant.

Even as young child I hated Disney. I had a series of Disney picture books, and loved the stories like Old Yeller and Swiss Family Robinson, but couldn't stand any of the stupid cartoon animals. I may be the only child ever to have hated Mickey Mouse.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
The Citizen Kane of Disney movies-

Winnie the Pooh

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Or possibly ever. Miyazaki is brilliant.

Even as young child I hated Disney. I had a series of Disney picture books, and loved the stories like Old Yeller and Swiss Family Robinson, but couldn't stand any of the stupid cartoon animals. I may be the only child ever to have hated Mickey Mouse.

I don't find Disney things endearing either. Mickey Mouse and all that doesn't compel me at all.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
After going through High School Musical like a billion times with my daughter and having to listen to its soundrack for a billion more, I'm beginning to like it. But it's still Little Mermaid for me. Ariel is one sushi I'd like to taste.
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I never liked Donald Duck and his brood, nor Mickey Mouse.
I did, however, enjoy some Disney movies when I was young - Fantasia was brilliant and I quite enjoyed The Black Cauldron, too (although I was disappointed when it effectively finished partway through the story - as did the (non-Disney) animated version of the Lord of the Rings).

I agree with TS and others that Disney really has nothing on Miyazaki Hayao and Studio Ghibli. Virtually any Miyazaki movie that you care to mention has more magic in it than any Disney movie I can think of from the last two decades. Tottoro, Nausicaa, Laputa, Majo no Takyubin (Kiki's Delivery Service), Kurenai no Buta (Porco Rosso) and others make my heart soar to see them and in some cases, bring a tear to my eye.

I'd be interested to know if any other Studio Ghibli fans out there have seen "Mimi no Sumaseba" (A Murmur of the Heart). It's not directed by Miyazaki, but is an absolutely fantastic and truly heartwarming film. I find myself singing the Japanese version of "Country Roads" for days afterwards every time I watch it.

Conne - I hope that I haven't derailed your thread - at least I discussed Disney before taking an excursion!

Regards,
JH

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics