• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

faux tuscan

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is anyone else sick of all the faux tuscan construction going on? maybe it's only in california, but here it seems every other building going up is in this style. have all the architects lost their creativity? or does everyone in california wish they were in tuscany?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Faux-Tuscan is worthy of any hate speech; it is as false as you can get get without going into Tudor suburbia or "Beaux-Arts" starter castles.

Especially offensive are those Napa Valley types and their "Tuscan villas" or some derivation of the Palladian style.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the place where i get my oil changes is done in this style, as is the 'center' where i buy groceries. it's disgusting.

the look used to be much more prevalent in orange county but it's creeping into l.a. more and more.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even more offensive are the ones that only have partial stone cladding, with exposed cement on the side of the building that is not facing the street. Who do they think they are fooling?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There is a car-wash/lube/gas station near me which is also Tuscan in flavor. Although honest to God(s), it tastes as well as a sugar-free donut.

remember that "if you were a terrorist" thread we had? faux tuscan architecture would be on my hit list.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Faux-Tuscan is worthy of any hate speech; it is as false as you can get get without going into Tudor suburbia or "Beaux-Arts" starter castles.

Especially offensive are those Napa Valley types and their "Tuscan villas" or some derivation of the Palladian style.

I'm rather fond of the Tudor style in Sacramento. The faux Tuscan has to go though.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but it seems that historical quotation is inevitable with architecture. It seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

Even when you don't get historical quotation, and somone offers a bit of new "form" to architecture, people once again complain. I'm refering to the current dissention toward someone like Frank Gehry.

It will be interesting to see as contemporary architectural forms break away from "the cube" if they will be accused of copying Gehry?

Aristocrat

Reaction score
I hate all American-faux-houses.
Imitates the Europe archtictures, it's sicken me quite a bit.
Especially the Beverly Hills mansions, that is really Europe-stolen...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's it, post and lintel construction only.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I don't disagree, but it seems that historical quotation is inevitable with architecture. It seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

Even when you don't get historical quotation, and somone offers a bit of new "form" to architecture, people once again complain. I'm refering to the current dissention toward someone like Frank Gehry.

It will be interesting to see as contemporary architectural forms break away from "the cube" if they will be accused of copying Gehry?

DP, do you get much of this down your way? Because what people are complaining about here in LA has as much to do with historical quotation in architecture as this
tuxedo-shirt.jpg

does with sartorial historical quotation. What we're overrun with here is aggressively shoddy, cheap mini-mall quality construction in a faux Tuscan style. If it were just a matter of Tuscan architectural stylings being used out of context, that would be one thing. In LA, you can find examples of pretty much every architectural style used out of context, sometimes to good effect and sometimes not so much. But this is just a bad joke that won't stop. And its very ubiquity obliterates the possibility of it having the kind of tongue-in-cheek (or tongue-in-cheek, as we say at SF) kitschy appeal you might find in, say, a randomly-placed gaudi-inspired dripped-cement AM/PM or a Starbucks sporting a mural of the Sistine Chapel ceiling done in M&M's.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather show you around town. You know, a kind of cultural tour of L.A. That's the first fifteen minutes, then what? A cynic. First stop is six blocks. - Why don't we walk? Walk? A walk in L.A.? Architecture. Some of these buildings are over 20 years old! This house is Greek revival. The Greek owner must be revived every day. Here's a Tudor mansion. And a four door mansion. You're nobody in L.A. Unless you live in a house with a big door. Let's go the Museum of Musicology. Verdi's baton. Mozart's quill. Beethoven's balls. I'll take you to the graveyard. Lots of famous people are buried here. Rocky Marciano, Benny Goodman, and William Shakespeare. I think he wrote "Hamlet" Part 2 "The Revenge," here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads