• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FASHIONABLE CLOTHING FOR FAT PEOPLE?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would change that hair. Then get a good pair of raw jeans, some simple solid color OCBDs or chambray workshirts, and a good pair of shoes or boots. I used to be a big guy and when I started getting into clothes that is where I started. I picked up some Jean Shop jeans, because they come in very large sizes (mine were 42s), some Alden boots and a few decent shirts and took it from there.

And stick around, learn and get familiar with things. Honestly, my interest in clothing and wanting to be able to wear certain things is a big part of what motivated me to loose 90lbs a couple years ago. So much more fun shopping for mediums and larges than XL and XXL.

bertie

Reaction score
Maybe another way of answering your question (and what a few folks on this thread are getting at) is that nicer clothes are not necessarily size specific. There is much to be learned by lurking and reading.

Also - you may get more specific advice if you give more information on your context. Job, social places you hang out, activities,etc.

3UR0TR45H

Reaction score
I'm in this fight with you! Just started lurking this forum and I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'1 and about 255. I love clothes but nothing fits right and I'm determined to change that. I've decided that I'm not going to spend money on nice clothes right now as I'm trying to lose the pudge, but I'm putting that money into shoes & accessories. I've also been picking up some deals on things that I will fit in to in the next few months. I just scored some brand new Naked & Famous Weird Guys for $20 and also some LVCs for $40. My goal is to lose 60 lbs this year and so far I'm down about two. The motivation to get into those jeans is huge!

I've also found that wearing clothes that I hate is actually helping me lose the poundage. Not that you have to lose weight to play this game, but that's my plan. Good luck!

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in this fight with you! Just started lurking this forum and I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'1 and about 255. I love clothes but nothing fits right and I'm determined to change that. I've decided that I'm not going to spend money on nice clothes right now as I'm trying to lose the pudge, but I'm putting that money into shoes & accessories. I've also been picking up some deals on things that I will fit in to in the next few months. I just scored some brand new Naked & Famous Weird Guys for $20 and also some LVCs for $40. My goal is to lose 60 lbs this year and so far I'm down about two. The motivation to get into those jeans is huge!

I've also found that wearing clothes that I hate is actually helping me lose the poundage. Not that you have to lose weight to play this game, but that's my plan. Good luck!

If you're interested in loosing weight, this is good advice. During my weight loss I often had a goal piece of clothing...a pair of jeans or a shirt that I loved but was too small for me. I bought it and put it in the closet and worked towards making it fit. It worked for me and was good motivation. Eventually many of those pics got too big and had to be sold for a loss...but the investment was so worth it.

ZAZES

Reaction score
If you think you're fat, you may want to focus your energies on losing weight (you've gone from XXL to XL already so why not? It's just another step) instead of buying too many clothes that'll end up being too large later on. If you think you're gonna stay where you are, just apply the tips regarding sizes.

Also I agree on the hair making you look a bit bigger than you probably are, try and look around for short hairstyles that may go well with your face as it will undoubtely make you look slimmer.

red81

Reaction score
i'd work on the weight loss. i lost 60 lbs from my peak and coming down to "normal" weight opens a whole new world of style options. you can get a gym membership for $20/month. some people around here spend that much on gym socks.

but what i would do if i were you immediately is get some nice shoes and a haircut and a shave.

fat mr misty

Reaction score
Since your are assuming.... I am assuming that you are a vain, perfect person who thinks only of yourself and if you are really good looking; opening your mouth destroys the whole illusion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics