• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

farmers insurance agent- good career choice?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am currently working for an agent for this company and I have to say I do not agree with this stuff. I am going for my P&C license. I started as only the office manager. Its me and the agent in this office and we have another office with another agent there. I know that to get my license I will pay $177.00 and that is for books and the 2 day class for my PA license. I've been here almost a year and have no complaints and yes we still use the phone book scrub the numbers and make calls I have gotten some business from that. I will remain here in the office doing the same that I do now but my pay will be less and I will get 50% of my commission and the agent will get the other 50% this goes both ways i will also get 50% of his sales just for this office he splits with the other agent as well. So I get a flat hourly rate and commission. As long as I bring business he has no problem paying out to me. I have not sold to any of my friends or family at all. When I see more commission rolling in things may change and I will go full commission but that's on my terms. Still I will not pay to start my own business I will work with my agent we are working on I do all P&C stuff (auto and home) he wants a commercial agent for all our commercial policies and that give him time to go to life appointments and oversee the rest. We do  many more lines of insurance also and I am quite busy from 9-6 these are my office hours which also will stay the same. This also will give me more freedom and I will be able to work from home as well on days that I really have to.

My suggestion..........don't go in business yourself at first work for an agent with the company and see how things go and go from there. I happen to work for a great person and I am very thankful for that and when you work for the company stay at least a year before committing to anything then work out the license and pay with the agent you work for. :)

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

He put a big push for this one particular meeting as some big shot was going to be there. So finally I relented and went. The big shot speaker started off with,

Don't ******* keep us in suspense you ****.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread just never stops delivering. It goes into hibernation and then comes back with gold.

breanne

Reaction score
If you think there is nobody to sell to other than your friends and family, please never go into sales. Most insurance, i.e auto insurance or homeowners insurance if you have a mortgagee, is required by law. Thus, everybody with an auto or home needs it, not just your friends and family. If you cant sell to people outside of your circle you are not a good sales person. If you have the ability to talk to everyone you see about insurance, you'll do just fine.

A percentage of that $2500 needs to be paid back to farmers after a certain amount of time, discussed in your contract, if you don't meet certain requirements. If you can sell 40 P&C policies and 5 life policies a month, you don't have to pay any of it back. They aren't there to make money off of you, you are getting all commission off of those policies. But, you are strengthening their business and building their client base, so if you are good at what you do, that's enough for them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's like catnip for insurance salesmen. They're lured in to defend their choice of career.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This ******* thread :alien:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
******* love this thread.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:slayer:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have been studying this as a possible career change.

Chester Cat

Reaction score
Ok so I work for State Farm and am considering a career change. Everything you have said is correct about the industry if you're not a salesman. If your a salesman 40 P&C policies should be done half way through the month. I sell that in Abilene in the middle of butt **** no where. Its the law of averages you and your team run 1000 quotes half are going to say no, so you're left with 500, half of those are going to say maybe.... so then 125- 250 half of those will purchase or at least set a date to purchase depending on your close ratio..... Its called a ******* sales funnel if you don't know how it works stay the **** away from the industry for the rest of us.... unless you want us buying you book for pennies on the dollar or given away for free... so if you just do the numbers and are not a ***** you shouldn't have any problems

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thank you for this sincere post. So as someone with experience, would you suggest a short fat man with a bald spot could make a 100k a year living in this field? Does it help a guy get a little something something?

Ok so I work for State Farm and am considering a career change. Everything you have said is correct about the industry if you're not a salesman. If your a salesman 40 P&C policies should be done half way through the month. I sell that in Abilene in the middle of butt **** no where. Its the law of averages you and your team run 1000 quotes half are going to say no, so you're left with 500, half of those are going to say maybe.... so then 125- 250 half of those will purchase or at least set a date to purchase depending on your close ratio..... Its called a ******* sales funnel if you don't know how it works stay the **** away from the industry for the rest of us.... unless you want us buying you book for pennies on the dollar or given away for free... so if you just do the numbers and are not a ***** you shouldn't have any problems

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This motherfucker is ******* alpha as ****. I'm ******* glad I don't have to try to sell in his ******* market.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads