• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

michaelvl

Reaction score

Well the POLO blazer he has is by Corneliani and that looks fine to me. What looks off on the shirt?
The pictured label says Stripe Green, yet it is a Green Check shirt. It resembles and Ashton shirt, but there is no logo on the shirt, yet the label says Ashton Logo. I find it also peculiar that the printed label lists the MSRP of €325 but also a price of €129,99? I have never seen this before on any of the RLPL items I purchased from their site or from their brick and mortar stores. Al my previous RLPL items all came with a sort of glossy purple folded booklet with extra stays and an extra mop button included in a purple cloth envelope with Purple Label written across it all this attached to the item with a grey rope. The shirt that I purchased from this seller came only with a simple label attached with plastic (no stays, buttons etc. are included). The general feeling of the item is cheap and off. Here is the label on the shirt I purchased from the referred eBay seller:

Last edited:

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say it's outlet store. I believe they rebranded the black label to purple now too which could be the reduced quality you see.

michaelvl

Reaction score

If I had to guess, I would say it's outlet store. I believe they rebranded the black label to purple now too which could be the reduced quality you see.
Hmm, I have around 25 RLPL (mostly Ashton) shirts in my current rotation, this is the second one I have sourced from eBay, the rest all came from RL directly. I got into RLPL in 2012. The quality and feel of the material is something that I immediately recognise upon handeling the item. The material off a genuine RLPL shirt feels rich, tightly woven and soft, their poplin shirts feel slightly less high quality than their non poplin cotton shirts, the material of this shirt seems to resemble poplin somewhat. I basically have the same shirt in poplin and in regular cotton (see the blue checked shirts in the pics bellow). The check pattern within the checks has a different and complex pattern on all my other genuine RLPL shirts, say for example diagonal lines, stacked V's etc. The checks on this shirt are vey flat, there is little complexity to them. In my experience is RL does a simple pattern there is always is some complexity to the material. In this case the material as well as the check pattern is flat and simple. Here are some pics of my OEM RLPL shirts vs. the green one I got of eBay. I cannot believe this shirt is genuine, thank for your input though. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

michaelvl

Reaction score
I believe the pattern on the eBay RLPL shirt has been printed and the pattern on my other RLPL shirts has been woven.

dad2bandm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry London tie legit? I think it might be..but I don't see many Burberry ties in these thrift parts.. It's here with some other legit ties...(Zegna, Brooks Brothers...).

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
Burberry London tie legit? I think it might be..but I don't see many Burberry ties in these thrift parts.. It's here with some other legit ties...(Zegna, Brooks Brothers...).

I think it's legit. I see why you think it might be fake- it does look a little different than a lot of the other Burberry ties I've seen- but the tags and labels look the same as this one:

Which was owned by @bmulford , as seen here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/52167/burberry-ties/30#post_811350

dad2bandm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys.
I'm going to have to figure out what I will wear it with. I'm going to keep it, as it's only the 2nd Burberry tie I have found thrifting (which wasn't an obvious fake - or some hideous old wide tie).

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a fake Kiton I spotted on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kiton-Nap...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

One (of many) huge giveaway with these fakes would be the huge space between buttons, and very high button-stance. It's something I see over and over again.

But just for educational purpose, here's the other sign (for this Kiton):

- The buttons have Kiton on them.
- No buttonhole on lapel
- Obvious machine-made buttonholes elsewhere
- Single-vent. Not a defining factor, but I've never seen single-vented Kiton outside their MTM program.
- Straight barchetta
- Flaps too small
- gorge too low for anything recent
- Lining w/pick stitching and contrast piping. Never seen that in my life on a Kiton, especially not with that form.
- Label looks off, and too large "Napoli" def. too large.
- Never seen a maker tag like that. They even got crafty enough to put the kiton URL on that.
- Structured shoulders. Looks like a off-the-rack $150 suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads