• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extra care with expensive shoes?

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am certainly much more on the defensive when wearing my nicer shoes. The most common damage to shoes can be prevented with minimum increase in one's awareness. For example, I don't stand so close to my collegues' desk chairs, as they can easily scoot away from their desk causing the bottom of the chair to "run over" my toe box, causing significant damage. Or, I try not to stand right next to people in meetings, as people often step on my shoes. These are all "simple things" that are all part of one's general level of awareness. They do not require one to avoid life, though.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kirbya
I am certainly much more on the defensive when wearing my nicer shoes. The most common damage to shoes can be prevented with minimum increase in one's awareness. For example, I don't stand so close to my collegues' desk chairs, as they can easily scoot away from their desk causing the bottom of the chair to "run over" my toe box, causing significant damage. Or, I try not to stand right next to people in meetings, as people often step on my shoes. These are all "simple things" that are all part of one's general level of awareness. They do not require one to avoid life, though.

Personally, I go by the philosophy of taking great care of what I'm putting on in the morning, and then forgetting about it all day. Making any change whatsoever based on an awareness of what particular pair of shoes I'm wearing on a given day means that I haven't completely forgotten what I'm wearing that day - which goes against my general philosophy.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In Soviet Union, shoes care for you!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I keep my shoes in tip top shape by never wearing them. My "wearing" shoes are Kenneth Coles, everything else I just keep in my closet and take them out every once in a while to photgraph them.
This might be the case with certain Japanese shoe people given the pristine examples they always show on their webpages.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Lee, just enjoy them like you enjoy your other shoes.

but of course it is understandable to be a little more careful with your expensive ones.

i think others here are getting the cause/effect wrong:

for me, it is not that i am so worried about getting my expensive shoes dirty because they are expensive,

it is because all my favorites happen to be (mostly) expensive, and i treat them just like my favorite coltons (cheap), with more care than usual.

i have a little memoir from my mother. it is cheap (value wise) but i take great care of it, just because.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This might be the case with certain Japanese shoe people given the pristine examples they always show on their webpages.

A co-worker of mine has told me that her husband and some of his friends loves shoes. She claims that one day, one of these friends wore a good pair of shoes to the office. It was raining when this fellow decided to go home, so he took his shoes off and placed them safely in his desk drawer. He walked barefoot out of the building and hailed a taxicab. He rode home in the cab to avoid drenching his shoes in the rain. I have often wondered if this fellow might be Cobbler Jun or Centipede.

Bic

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Actually, I wonder how much of better shoes lasting longer is a product of treating them better while wearing them.
I think it has to do mostly with better materials and construction. Plus, there is less stress on a shoe when you have a last built to your own feet's dimensions.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
A co-worker of mine has told me that her husband and some of his friends loves shoes. She claims that one day, one of these friends wore a good pair of shoes to the office. It was raining when this fellow decided to go home, so he took his shoes off and placed them safely in his desk drawer. He walked barefoot out of the building and hailed a taxicab. He rode home in the cab to avoid drenching his shoes in the rain. I have often wondered if this fellow might be Cobbler Jun or Centipede.

Bic

This is one of the reasons why I keep an extra pair of shoes at my work in the bottom desk drawer, my H Boss burg wingtips.
In case of a big outpour of rain, I change my shoes and go back out.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
I try to wear rubber sole shoes when it rains, otherwise I enjoy wearing my quality shoes.

But don't you wear each pair once a quarter?
laugh.gif

Secondly, anteater boots? I hope you stocked up. Aren't those banned?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep my shoes in tip top shape by never wearing them. My "wearing" shoes are Kenneth Coles, everything else I just keep in my closet and take them out every once in a while to photgraph them.

Right on!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm more into the smelling and cuddling as I fall asleep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics