• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive--or at least not cheap--Suit For a Big Guy in a 52L?

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am a 23 year old male from Los Angeles who has recently graduated from college. I have never owned an expensive suit. While he has possessed the means to clothe me in amply expensive attire throughout my life, my father has thus far steadfastly refused to purchase any suits more expensive than Lauren by Ralph Lauren, which I saw savaged in another thread on this forum that I stumbled upon while trying to find out exactly how cheap my suits are. My father meanwhile gloats over his extensive collection of Hickey Freeman suits.

This lack of expensive dress is due to my size. I am 6'2" and just over 300 lbs. I played college football for the last four years and continue to powerlift recreationally. Since I began playing football nine years ago, my father has always prayed that I would one day stop lifting weights, start running a few miles per day, and drop to a "respectable" weight near 200 lbs. I have no desire to become an emaciated shadow of myself. I will not expound as to why, save that my stature has become part of my identity and that the last attempt I made to shed bodyweight past 285 lbs made for a miserable existence that I did not desire to continue.

I received a job offer last week and am going to be working full time in an intermediate position at a law firm beginning Monday. The employment is only a temporary measure until I go to law school in a year and a half. I am not concerned that the lawyers at the office will look down on my inferior attire. To be frank, I am ashamed of and embarrassed for my father because he has refused to buy me (as well as my brother) semi-formal attire befitting his socio-economic status. I'm not sure how he lives with himself when his friends see the low quality of my suits. More importantly, I think I would look badass in more expensive dress attire. I have managed to acquire some fairly expensive ties (Robert Talbott), shoes (Allen Edmonds), and shirts (Brooks Brothers), but my suits remain dismally cheap.

But this shortcoming has rested entirely on my lack of financial independence, which is currently undergoing a--please forgive the cliche--paradigm shift. Because I continue to live with my parents, this job opportunity is going to yield more disposable income than I've ever seen in my 23 years on this earth. I have already pledged that the first purchase I am going to make is an expensive suit. I have already done some preliminary research, and in doing so, found something troubling.

I cannot find suits above low-level Mens Wearhouse or Jos A Bank attire in a 52, much less a 52 Long (because of the curvature and what not). Not at Nordstrom. Not at Brooks Brothers. To be frank, I don't even know where I should look. I would really appreciate any guidance you guys could offer for finding a decent or even expensive suit for a guy who wears a 52L. I should also note that my large chest size remains relatively constant: when I drop weight, as I am right now, the weight drops from my gut, which makes the jacket an easier fit around my torso; however, even at 285--very close to my ideal weight--the 52 chest remains necessary. I prefer a more traditional look--in fact I routinely shun anything even remotely avant-garde--but if I need to opt for more a more modern look in order to find a suit that isn't absolute crap, I'm prepared to make that jump.

Any ideas on finding an expensive--or at least not cheap--suit for a big guy who wears a 52L?

To give you an idea of my proportions and what I look like in semi-formal attire, here's a photo taken not long ago in which you can see me in a cheap suit (and a cheap tie too!)

n700505034_5056607_4368.jpg

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni dresses many big men, whether they be tall and/or overweight or muscular. Also the fit is not extremely snug such as an Armani suit. I actually would look into Armani Collezioni as it's targeted to the bigger man, it is more loose fitting and not as slim, yet it's not boxy and too conservative. Just do not get a 3 button suit. IMO it will make your stomach look lager just like anyone elses.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahh.. a kindred soul! I played football in my college days as well.

I'm in the 52L club (6'2, 275) and also wear a 19/36 shirt. There are not too many of us on the forum here as more of our forumites are of a much more svelte stature.

Armani is a good suggestion, but I would also strongly suggest the MTO (made to order) route. Brooks Brothers has kicked off their MTO tour and in select stores will have a master tailor on hand to assist.

I keep an eye on eBay and have found decent deals on those stray bigger sizes that pop up now and then. A few weeks ago I found a Dunhill 52L for about $350.

edit:

The Brooks Brother MTO events in So. Calif.:

Beverly Hills
468 N. Rodeo Drive
Friday, 3/13 and
Saturday, 3/14

Los Angeles
604 S. Figueroa Street
Wednesday, 3/11 and
Thursday, 3/12

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help, Clark. I'm glad you can understand where I'm coming from. MTO sounds like it could very well be the way to go. The idea hadn't even crossed my mind. Do you have any inkling as to what those run? (Not that I'm going to have much of a choice, right?)

Lawman

Reaction score
Dude, there is a 52R Golden Fleece Brooks Brothers suit at the outlet in Smithfield, NC. I'm not sure if you could work your frame into it, but the length looked pretty long to me, as I am a 48L. You might want to give them a call if interested. It is around a $1700 suit for $499. It is a medium grey solid flannel, and absolutely gorgeous.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigchris1313
Thanks so much for the help, Clark. I'm glad you can understand where I'm coming from. MTO sounds like it could very well be the way to go. The idea hadn't even crossed my mind. Do you have any inkling as to what those run? (Not that I'm going to have much of a choice, right?)

Sorry, I'm not sure of the pricing. Hopefully some of our more learned folke will chime in.

Lawman has found that BB flannel suit. I'm betting it is a beauty. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on it too
smile.gif

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add that I strongly encourage you to take a trip down to Santa Monica and visit the warehouse of one of our forum affiliates: http://www.shopthefinest.com/

He has an exquisite collection of clothes and probably has some 52's on the rack. if not, he can certainly keep an eye out for some for you. He also has a great selection of some larger dress shirts like Attolini
inlove.gif

If you do a search on Shop the Finest you'll see some posts of others who've been there and their impressions.

tobinbridge

Reaction score
I inquired about BB's MTO program last week. 2 piece suits start at 1550 and are delivered in 8 weeks (the tailor said most come in sooner) this however was for my 37R frame. Not sure if the price increases with length of fabric, but i assume so.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I started law school at your age, I was very pleased that my father bought me a cheap poly/wool suit until I could afford to buy my own suits. You are an adult now. Don't be a hater.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Nordstrom offers MTM Hickey Freeman and HSM at most if not all of their stores. You are looking at 1200.00 to 2000.00 depending on fabric and details.

bobbers

Reaction score
Another MTM option is WW Chan. They tour the US three times a year and will be in Beverly HIlls on March 20. I believe their suits start around $1200.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigchris1313
While he has possessed the means to clothe me in amply expensive attire throughout my life, my father has thus far steadfastly refused to purchase any suits more expensive than Lauren by Ralph Lauren, which I saw savaged in another thread on this forum that I stumbled upon while trying to find out exactly how cheap my suits are. My father meanwhile gloats over his extensive collection of Hickey Freeman suits.
Comments such as this, plus "I'm not sure how he lives with himself when his friends see the low quality of my suits" set off warning bells in my mind. However, I will do you the courtesy of assuming you aren't pulling our collective legs here, and treat your post accordingly. You are an ass. Your father has (presumably) earned his suit collection and may do whatever he wishes. You imply that he would have provided you with one or two had you not been overweight, and you blame him for being stingy? Please see above comment re: your being an ass. By the by, I second the post re: avoiding three-button suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads