• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic Upholstery.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like exotic things made into useful items; Henri IV's cradle was made out of an entire tortoise shell so why can't we have beautiful things too in this wildly PETA-oriented age? I imagine hippo hide would make a great material for a sofa or for the top of a desk. An elephant hide would be fantastic for a desk chair; actually they do have elephant foot stools:
footstool.jpg
Something basic like this which reminds me of a mildly decadent Colonial Frenchman:
chcv.JPG
Or this "Dodo Chair" by Michel Hallaird:
mh03.jpg
Maybe a Safari Luncheon?
041.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I always wanted something made from Otter. I'm surpised I never did living in Monterey Bay nearly my whole life and knowing a few taxidermists.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One of the folks here just took possession of a full zebra hide. No comment yet what she plans on doing with it, and given her imagination and savoire-faire, I see it languishing in a pile of other things bought and unused until she finally sends it off to have someone use it to upholster the new toilet seat for her trailer.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thouse Zebra or Pony hides would fit the best with armchairs or ottomans. Those hides are best paired with something minimalist and modern. Juxtaposition of Zebra-hide with antique styles from 18-19 century looks to me too kitschy and forced.
That elephant leg is just disgusting, IMO.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I always wanted something made from Otter. I'm surpised I never did living in Monterey Bay nearly my whole life and knowing a few taxidermists.

I imagine otter skin would make a good hardy covering for say, doors. I've always liked the idea of leather covered doors.

Or perhaps patent leather walls with stamped gilt decorations.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Thouse Zebra or Pony hides would fit the best with armchairs or ottomans. Those hides are best paired with something minimalist and modern. Juxtaposition of Zebra-hide with antique styles from 18-19 century looks to me too kitschy and forced.
That elephant leg is just disgusting, IMO.

I'm reminded of the Barcelona chair covered in "pony-skin" which is misleading since no ponies were involved; it's only cow-skin.

barcchairbrownhide349.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I imagine otter skin would make a good hardy covering for say, doors. I've always liked the idea of leather covered doors.

Or perhaps patent leather walls with stamped gilt decorations.

Are you thinking of Sea Lion (also a Monterey Bay denizen)?

I was thinking of a nice Otter pelt.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Are you thinking of Sea Lion (also a Monterey Bay denizen)?

I was thinking of a nice Otter pelt.

I imagine otters also have some sort of leather underneath the fur; seals do.

I imagine sea lion hide looks like walrus.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whale testicles were used to cover bar stools, on the Onassis yacht: Christina.
Shock value aside, when used with skill and purpose, exotic upholstery can provide a raw sensuality and mysterious allure to a room's decor.
untitled.jpg

drake

Reaction score
Ugh, disgusting on a visual and mental level. The first one is especially disturbing.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Contessa Cassati's palace library included volumes bound in human skin.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far every picture posted in this thread has been hideous and gauche. And I'm not talking about anything PETA-related, this comment is from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
untitled-3.jpg

Norma Desmond's Isotta Fraschini was upholstered in leopard, which I thought looked jazzy. Swanson wore a number of leopard patterned numbers, during the movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads