• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

European metal toe pieces now available

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick,

It don't look like JR heel to me.
It look more like the English heel sell by Kaufman made by Toscana.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
i sorta like the idea of putting my shoes through their paces, and then re-crafting them anew. rather than try to maintain some sort of delicateness

If you wear hard on the toes like some of us, this ain't about "delicateness", rather it's about not burning the toe out right through the welt long before the sole is ready to be replaced.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They keep the front of the sole nice and sharp too; no 'leather fraying' anymore.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
If you wear hard on the toes like some of us, this ain't about "delicateness", rather it's about not burning the toe out right through the welt long before the sole is ready to be replaced.

Originally Posted by NOBD
They keep the front of the sole nice and sharp too; no 'leather fraying' anymore.

+1

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To answer a few questions.

It's not necessary to have the sole guards. With or without them the toe pieces will flush to the surface when finished.

They are $35.00 per pair OTC. Add $15.00 S&H for mail in orders.

Two reasons they are not loud.
As mentioned they are flush mounted also since they are screwed on they are much tighter.

Added, because of the way they are applied it's nearly imposible to kick them off.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant

more specifically addressed at the protected heel + topy sole guard + taps, referenced through "overkill" comment.

i agree if you have local accelerated wear then protect it... (my gait does this too, not enough to warrant tick tick toe taps, though)... but to work the entire bottom of a shoe is overkill

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
To answer a few questions. It's not necessary to have the sole guards. With or without them the toe pieces will flush to the surface when finished. They are $35.00 per pair OTC. Add $15.00 S&H for mail in orders. Two reasons they are not loud. As mentioned they are flush mounted also since they are screwed on they are much tighter. Added, because of the way they are applied it's nearly imposible to kick them off.
silly question, but i assume you put these on when the sole is new and replace every time you re-sole, correct? and how long does it take to do? (ie can I stop by and get it done or is it a couple of days)

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
silly question, but i assume you put these on when the sole is new and replace every time you re-sole, correct?

and how long does it take to do? (ie can I stop by and get it done or is it a couple of days)

New or lightly worn for best value.

We prefer that you dropped them off.
Here is a link posted by an AAAC member. That explains why we prefer to have some time to do the job.

http://www.net.esa-paris.fr/~alexis_...encastres.html

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
To answer a few questions.

It's not necessary to have the sole guards. With or without them the toe pieces will flush to the surface when finished.

They are $35.00 per pair OTC. Add $15.00 S&H for mail in orders.

Two reasons they are not loud.
As mentioned they are flush mounted also since they are screwed on they are much tighter.

Added, because of the way they are applied it's nearly imposible to kick them off.

I just had Nick put taps on four pairs. I dropped them off on Monday and picked them up on Friday. Outstanding job. Better than the ones Edward Green put on a recent MTO I did. For some reason EG used rounded head screw instead of flat screws. Had me worried about my wood floors until I wore them on pavement to wear them down a bit.

Nick's shop did a great job. I dropped off five more pair when I picked up the first four. Will follow that up with another five or so and that will pretty much take care of my main rotation. Having some wear does not seem to prevent the installation of the taps.

I don't find them loud at all. They save from wearing the toes. They look very neat and clean.
I find the nailed on teflon or metal taps to be very unattractive. Compare:

A new G&G with nailed on taps

p1010581.jpg

To a pair of EG Nick just did:

img0881f.jpg

img0882sa.jpg

Granted, the G&G are new, but once worn, the inset taps will look much more finished and refined. If you are going to pay 1K+ for shoes, why cut corners with a cheepo installation on the taps. I suspect that many people don't have access to a place to have it done well.

Now we have Nick!

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Nick's store (B Nelson) doing business as VIP Shoe Restorers? That what I see on google streetview (140 E55th). B Nelson brings up something on the west side that seems to have gone out of business.

So, where is the store, actually?

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
Is Nick's store (B Nelson) doing business as VIP Shoe Restorers? That what I see on google streetview (140 E55th). B Nelson brings up something on the west side that seems to have gone out of business.

So, where is the store, actually?

140 E. 55th Just east of Lexington Ave

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads