European metal toe pieces now available

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nick V., Feb 15, 2010.

1. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Nick,

It don't look like JR heel to me.
    It look more like the English heel sell by Kaufman made by Toscana.

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I don't find them loud. [...].

+1

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

i sorta like the idea of putting my shoes through their paces, and then re-crafting them anew. rather than try to maintain some sort of delicateness

If you wear hard on the toes like some of us, this ain't about "delicateness", rather it's about not burning the toe out right through the welt long before the sole is ready to be replaced.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

They keep the front of the sole nice and sharp too; no 'leather fraying' anymore.

5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

If you wear hard on the toes like some of us, this ain't about "delicateness", rather it's about not burning the toe out right through the welt long before the sole is ready to be replaced.

They keep the front of the sole nice and sharp too; no 'leather fraying' anymore.

+1

6. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

To answer a few questions.

It's not necessary to have the sole guards. With or without them the toe pieces will flush to the surface when finished.

They are $35.00 per pair OTC. Add $15.00 S&H for mail in orders.

Two reasons they are not loud.
    As mentioned they are flush mounted also since they are screwed on they are much tighter.

Added, because of the way they are applied it's nearly imposible to kick them off.

7. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

more specifically addressed at the protected heel + topy sole guard + taps, referenced through "overkill" comment.

i agree if you have local accelerated wear then protect it... (my gait does this too, not enough to warrant tick tick toe taps, though)... but to work the entire bottom of a shoe is overkill

8. haganah

haganah Senior member

To answer a few questions. It's not necessary to have the sole guards. With or without them the toe pieces will flush to the surface when finished. They are $35.00 per pair OTC. Add $15.00 S&H for mail in orders. Two reasons they are not loud. As mentioned they are flush mounted also since they are screwed on they are much tighter. Added, because of the way they are applied it's nearly imposible to kick them off.
    silly question, but i assume you put these on when the sole is new and replace every time you re-sole, correct? and how long does it take to do? (ie can I stop by and get it done or is it a couple of days)

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Doesn't have to be new.

10. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

silly question, but i assume you put these on when the sole is new and replace every time you re-sole, correct?

and how long does it take to do? (ie can I stop by and get it done or is it a couple of days)

New or lightly worn for best value.

We prefer that you dropped them off.
    Here is a link posted by an AAAC member. That explains why we prefer to have some time to do the job.

http://www.net.esa-paris.fr/~alexis_...encastres.html

11. onix

onix Senior member

12. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

To answer a few questions.

It's not necessary to have the sole guards. With or without them the toe pieces will flush to the surface when finished.

They are $35.00 per pair OTC. Add $15.00 S&H for mail in orders.

Two reasons they are not loud.
    As mentioned they are flush mounted also since they are screwed on they are much tighter.

Added, because of the way they are applied it's nearly imposible to kick them off.

I just had Nick put taps on four pairs. I dropped them off on Monday and picked them up on Friday. Outstanding job. Better than the ones Edward Green put on a recent MTO I did. For some reason EG used rounded head screw instead of flat screws. Had me worried about my wood floors until I wore them on pavement to wear them down a bit.

Nick's shop did a great job. I dropped off five more pair when I picked up the first four. Will follow that up with another five or so and that will pretty much take care of my main rotation. Having some wear does not seem to prevent the installation of the taps.

I don't find them loud at all. They save from wearing the toes. They look very neat and clean.
    I find the nailed on teflon or metal taps to be very unattractive. Compare:

A new G&G with nailed on taps

[​IMG]

To a pair of EG Nick just did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Granted, the G&G are new, but once worn, the inset taps will look much more finished and refined. If you are going to pay 1K+ for shoes, why cut corners with a cheepo installation on the taps. I suspect that many people don't have access to a place to have it done well.

Now we have Nick!

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

14. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Is Nick's store (B Nelson) doing business as VIP Shoe Restorers? That what I see on google streetview (140 E55th). B Nelson brings up something on the west side that seems to have gone out of business.

So, where is the store, actually?

15. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

Is Nick's store (B Nelson) doing business as VIP Shoe Restorers? That what I see on google streetview (140 E55th). B Nelson brings up something on the west side that seems to have gone out of business.

So, where is the store, actually?

140 E. 55th Just east of Lexington Ave