• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

European metal toe pieces now available

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Correct. B. Nelson is technically VIP and in the same location.

The toe taps seem like they came out great. I'll be dropping off some shoes Monday morning.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
Better than the ones Edward Green put on a recent MTO I did. For some reason EG used rounded head screw instead of flat screws.

I've also wondered why EG doesn't used flat head screws.
confused.gif

a pair of EG Nick just did:
img0881f.jpg

img0882sa.jpg

They've done a very nice job! Btw, are those ^ EG Lichfield?
drool.gif

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new G&G with nailed on taps

p1010581.jpg

They just have the wrong size taps nailed on. It is a simple and effective job - but whoever put those on should have gone with a larger size.

There are a lot of different sizes. If a cobbler did it, he might have been too lazy to find the right ones, or simply out of stock.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
They just have the wrong size taps nailed on. It is a simple and effective job - but whoever put those on should have gone with a larger size.

There are a lot of different sizes. If a cobbler did it, he might have been too lazy to find the right ones, or simply out of stock.

Insets still look better imho.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I've also wondered why EG doesn't used flat head screws.
confused.gif

They've done a very nice job! Btw, are those ^ EG Lichfield?
drool.gif

No the Telford...a captoe adelaide.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had Nick put taps on four pairs. I dropped them off on Monday and picked them up on Friday. Outstanding job. Better than the ones Edward Green put on a recent MTO I did. For some reason EG used rounded head screw instead of flat screws. Had me worried about my wood floors until I wore them on pavement to wear them down a bit.

img0882sa.jpg

That looks super nice. I just sent a pair of shoes for restoration to Nick and will probably get these!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insets still look better imho.

I would not want to cut into a perfectly sound piece of the leather, when I can do the job myself -without cutting the sole - for a quid.

Just seems like another iGent affectation to me.

Archivist

Reaction score
I was in New York several week ago, and stopped in at Leffot and Crockett and Jones. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...53#post4125653 Steven at Leffot is a good guy, knows his shoes. A real pleasure. I'm rough on toes, so I dropped my new shoes of with NickV at BNelson/VIPShoeRestorers to add metal toe plates. Nick is another good guy, very generous with information. He gave me several catalogs when I was in the shop. His guys do top notch work, I would highly recommend them. These shots are after I've been wearing the shoes. Received, the edge of the metal plates were nicely dressed so they blended with the sole edge on. Even now, with the scuffing, you would hardly notice they are there, looking at the shoes. It's interesting to me, I know I am hard on my toes, but I can really feel it each time I strike them, now that I have the toe plates on. Edward Green Westminster in dark oak: Pierre Corthay Arca: Gratuitous shots of the lasted trees and the shoe: Crockett and Jones Handgrade Lonsdale, last 363: Some general impressions: The EG are extremely comfortable and fit me true to size. Out of the box, they required pretty much no break in. By pure chance, ended up on a 4 mile walk the first day I had them on, no problems at all. The Corthay, for such a slim shoe, is also quite comfortable, but does need some break in. It's very well made. The C&J Lonsdale are also quite conformable, but need a little break in. I'd gone by to look at the Audley on the 337. Spent some time walking around with an Audley on one foot, and the Lonsdale on the other. The Lonsdale fit me better. Chatting with the guys at C&J, they say the New York store is doing very well for C&J, they want to expand in the US, and are considering opening a new store, either in Chicago or San Francisco. I encouraged them to come to San Francisco.

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
Overkill be damned. I like it. I don't like investing in something and knowing that I'm destroying it every time I use it.

Is there any way I can get ahold of just the toe pieces? I'd like to try applying them myself to a cheap pair of test shoes.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be logical to offer 14K screws on more high end shoes as well.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a cobbler in the UK that manages to install toe plates as well as the guys at B. Nelson?

Any recommendations? As it seems a little ironic for me to post English made shoes, to the US to improve their wear!

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
For the people who have these taps, are they loud on tile floors? I wear the toes fast on my shoes, but I really don't want to call attention to myself when walking. I have a long walk on a tile floor in my future office.

I have the flush fitted taps on one of my shoes... makes no sound at all unless I intentionally want to do so.

These look really good... having them installed with a flush finish looks FINE!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads