• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eurofashion Observations, Paris

armscye

Reaction score
Had two longish layovers at Charles DeGaulle Airport outside Paris, both spent in the Air France First Class Lounge at the International Terminal. Observations:

1. The North American perception of Europeans as inherently well dressed is unwarranted. Even in a First Class area, even while traveling, even on a weekday, the average European traveler was about as poorly dressed as the average American traveler.

2. True bespoke suiting was very rare-- I saw two unmistakably handmade suits in eight hours.

In a meeting during the week in Stuttgart, I had seen what appeared to be a made-to-measure suit that avoided all other custom indices such as pick stitching or working buttonholes. Is this a trend? "Quietly semi custom?"

3. Off-the-peg suits with "bespoke influences", by contrast, were ubiquitous: dozens of fused suits with pick stitched lapels and fake sleeve buttonholes, most being worn oversized and overlong at sleeves and trouser cuffs. The side vent is the normative standard.

4. I saw one very nice pair of antiqued black oxfords-- an interesting effect wherein the primary black color was interrupted by medium brown wear areas.

5. One traveler presumably en route to a warm clime had a beige linen suit with the final 2 inches of the pants cuff split at the outer seam.

6. The double-breasted suit is an endangered species even in Paris, alas.

7. France still makeas the world's best croissants, oversized, gloriously messy, and in this case served hot off a delivery truck's rear deck.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting observations. I've been idly suit shopping in anticipation of buying another within the next year or so and noticed the pick stitching on off-the-peg suits in the stores. Faux-custom seems to be on the rise (no pun intended).

How does one antique a black shoe? This is one of the charms of brown shoes that I thought was impossible with black. I might like to give it a try.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you left out the most important thing: Did you get to meet Ernest, or was the whole trip for nothing?

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you left out the most important thing: Did you get to meet Ernest, or was the whole trip for nothing?
Next time when i'm in Paris there are four things om my agenda:

FINALLY see a Moulin Rouge show (4 times in Paris and never went there before).

A visit to Berluti.

A visit to Club Pink (I was told this is an excellent night club).

Meet Ernest.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex:
LOL
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most of the european tourists i see have that mid-west look; polo shirt tucked into a pair of khakis and brown 'dress casual' shoes. i'm speaking of the older ones, say over 30.
biggrin.gif

linux_pro

Reaction score
most of the european tourists i see have that mid-west look; polo shirt tucked into a pair of khakis and brown 'dress casual' shoes. i'm speaking of the older ones, say over 30.
biggrin.gif
I saw a homeless guy in Seattle dressed that way yesterday. Khaki/chinos and a polo, with a long scraggly beard. I think that speaks for itself.

oldskool

Reaction score
You're findings are not suprising. Business people, no matter their national, are often the worst dressed. Take a look at the US CEO's any morning on Squawk Box on CNBC. These guys have $20,000,000 anual incomes plus they prob get a clothing allowance... and I see ill fitting shirt collars, sloppy tie knots, etc. Hard work does not always imply fashion awareness. The well dressed business people tend to be in sales, wall street (the financial markets), and other industries where the heritage and historical reference have real daily value, say an attorney who is in court every day, a commercial realtor / investor... these folks often try to dress as thier peers did for the previous generation I think. Paris has many well dressed men - we all know this. Take a stroll around the finacial district, and I think you will find this to be the case. Also "first class" no longer means successful anymore. If you have a job that requires travel, you get bumped to first after the first 6 months. This does not require money, just a lot of airline miles. I have a (very poorly dressed) friend, who travels weekly. I assume that you would see him and shake your head (as he sits in the first class lounge in his pin striped pants and matching pin striped socks - yes he thinks this works)....

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think to wear a nice suit while traveling by air.

I also wouldn't think to disparage a homeless man because of his clothing.

I agree with Kabbaz about the age remark.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did in my recent foray to Paris. A smart, charming, and very well-dressed young man. His spoken English is really quite good. I regret that due to communications problems, mostly on my end, we only met the one-time. I suspect he could have been quite the companion and guide to great shopping.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz,Feb. 27 2005,15:58
I did in my recent foray to Paris. Â A smart, charming, and very well-dressed young man. Â His spoken English is really quite good. Â I regret that due to communications problems, mostly on my end, we only met the one-time. Â I suspect he could have been quite the companion and guide to great shopping.
He was. Marc237 and I were not the only forum members to meet Ernest; Bengal Stripe did too. I may have been the only one to meet the lovely K., though. Ernest is as irrepressible and as enthusiastic (my wife adds "adorable") in person as he is on the forum. His love of fine clothing and footwear exceeds his gastronomic leanings right now, but I plan on working on that on future trips. KenCPollock a/k/a Jerrysfriend

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i will agree in that most of the people in said lounges, whether in europe or north america, are not dressed well

my most recent memorable fashion victim was last month in a lounge in paris and i nicknamed him 'dolce dsquared man' as was wearing the following:

embroidered down one leg dolce jeans with the big 'dolce' patch on the back;
a big belt buckle that said 'big cock';
the yellow "hockey night in canada' dsquared2 sweat shirt;
the "24/7" black dsquared2 baseball cap; and,
the green "fuckin' freezing logo" dsquared2 coat ............
the shoes were black leather and pointy but i have no idea who made them but my guess was dolce

it was entertaining to say the least

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(marc237 @ Feb. 28 2005,06:07)
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz,Feb. 27 2005,15:58
I did in my recent foray to Paris. Â A smart, charming, and very well-dressed young man. Â His spoken English is really quite good. Â I regret that due to communications problems, mostly on my end, we only met the one-time. Â I suspect he could have been quite the companion and guide to great shopping.
He was. Marc237 and I were not the only forum members to meet Ernest; Bengal Stripe did too. I may have been the only one to meet the lovely K., though. Ernest is as irrepressible and as enthusiastic (my wife adds "adorable") in person as he is on the forum. His love of fine clothing and footwear exceeds his gastronomic leanings right now, but I plan on working on that on future trips. KenCPollock a/k/a Jerrysfriend
He spoke very highly of you as well. You seem to have left a very good impression. I am sorry we did not have the opportunity to meet his girlfriend (she was evidently ill). I am afraid I disappointed him in that I met him wearing brown in the evening. I was quite the farmer. I do not know about the educating the palate part, but I observe that he is quite better at maintaining his health than I - no smoking, no alchohol, etc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
embroidered down one leg dolce jeans with the big 'dolce' patch on the back;
a big belt buckle that said 'big cock';
the yellow "hockey night in canada' dsquared2 sweat shirt;
the "24/7" black dsquared2 baseball cap; and,
the green "fuckin' freezing logo" dsquared2 coat ............
the shoes were black leather and pointy but i have no idea who made them but my guess was dolce

Real, hockey-watching Canadians would have laughed their asses off. Lumberjacket jackets are bought at Mark's Work Wearhouse, for working on outdoor projects in the winter, tramping around in *really* cold weather. And hockey jerseys are to wear to the game, or even to wear while at home watching the game. And official NHL gear retails at about $80-$120 CDN, btw.

Wearing the Dsquared "Fuckin' Freezing" coat in Winnipeg in February would have aptly described the condition of his "Big Cock".

I like a few of the Dsquared pieces from earlier seasons. They had some pretty cool military-inspired shirts, for example (I have two examples, personally), and the cuts are nice for slim guys, but at retail, a complete ripoff. I've really lost a lot of respect for that brand in the past few seasons. The the logos are out of control these days, not to mention pretty stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads