1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Essentials of a Summer Wardrobe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thegmanifesto, May 17, 2006.

1. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

Please elaborate.

You know, I'm not sure that I can. A few years ago, I asked the manager of the Chicago Paul Stuart for recommendations on pocket squares for summer. He produced a few of these wonderfully light, gauzy and muted silk squares that I absolutely loved. They were relatively pricey, but I bought every color they had (which wasn't that much). The designs are reminiscent of an oriental carpet meets paisley.

He called them "Indian Silk" squares.

2. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I was intrigued as I'm about to go to India. I'd love to see some pics.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

I've toyed with the idea of a Montecristi for awhile, but I'm just not sure I could wear it without feeling self-conscious. Perhaps in time.

Just do it, any selfconsciousness that you may initially experience will wear off in short order.

4. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

Just do it, any selfconsciousness that you may initially experience will wear off in short order.

You're probably right. The other thing holding me back is that they're expensive. I was looking at the one offered by J. Peterman as sort of a "starter hat," but I'm not sure about the quality (plus, at least from the website picture, its brim makes it look more like a cowboy hat than a fedora).

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

You're probably right. The other thing holding me back is that they're expensive. I was looking at the one offered by J. Peterman as sort of a "starter hat," but I'm not sure about the quality (plus, at least from the website picture, its brim makes it look more like a cowboy hat than a fedora).

It pays to deal with a quality hat shop(experienced fitters, extensive inventory) for your first hat because it's so important to find the right hat(brim, crown and color) for your head, face, physique and coloring. So often people buy online or from a department store, get poorly fitted with something ill suited for them and end up never wearing the hat. Now, that's expensive.[​IMG]