• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essentials of a Summer Wardrobe?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My list:

Gingham
Seersucker
Tan loafers
Spectators
Linen
Navy & White/Cream
Indian silk pocket squares
No socks
Nantucket Reds
Grosgrain belts
Boat shoes
Lighter colored suits
Madras

Oh yeah, and whatever one wants to wear for fly-fishing.
smile.gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my list:

- linen trousers and shirts
- cotton poplin trousers
- bermuda shorts
- polo shirts
- aloha shirts
- Ray-Ban aviators
- boat shoes
- camp mocs
- flip flops
- Tod's driving loafers
- ribbon belts

I've toyed with the idea of a Montecristi for awhile, but I'm just not sure I could wear it without feeling self-conscious. Perhaps in time.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Please elaborate.

You know, I'm not sure that I can. A few years ago, I asked the manager of the Chicago Paul Stuart for recommendations on pocket squares for summer. He produced a few of these wonderfully light, gauzy and muted silk squares that I absolutely loved. They were relatively pricey, but I bought every color they had (which wasn't that much). The designs are reminiscent of an oriental carpet meets paisley.

He called them "Indian Silk" squares.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I've toyed with the idea of a Montecristi for awhile, but I'm just not sure I could wear it without feeling self-conscious. Perhaps in time.

Just do it, any selfconsciousness that you may initially experience will wear off in short order.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Just do it, any selfconsciousness that you may initially experience will wear off in short order.

You're probably right. The other thing holding me back is that they're expensive. I was looking at the one offered by J. Peterman as sort of a "starter hat," but I'm not sure about the quality (plus, at least from the website picture, its brim makes it look more like a cowboy hat than a fedora).

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
You're probably right. The other thing holding me back is that they're expensive. I was looking at the one offered by J. Peterman as sort of a "starter hat," but I'm not sure about the quality (plus, at least from the website picture, its brim makes it look more like a cowboy hat than a fedora).

It pays to deal with a quality hat shop(experienced fitters, extensive inventory) for your first hat because it's so important to find the right hat(brim, crown and color) for your head, face, physique and coloring. So often people buy online or from a department store, get poorly fitted with something ill suited for them and end up never wearing the hat. Now, that's expensive.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads