• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire September 1939 - more men's clothing images

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Lots of "back to college styles" in this edition:

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

c3cubed

Reaction score
Anthony Jordan;841875 said:
Lots of "back to college styles" in this edition:

019.jpg
Anthony Jordan;841875 said:
The best artwork of the period [I think one of the more iconic illustratiors was "L Fellows" ?] - I wish some of the better magazines would return to the "look" of these issues... the maturity is missed.

Labelking's remarks are true for the new generation - the titles are amusing today, given the change of vernacular and innuendo.

Which is sad - this sort of thing seems to reinforce the perception of "simpler times" in vintage ads. Whether actually true or not - I like the innocence.
blush.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed

The best artwork of the period [I think one of the more iconic illustratiors was "L Fellows" ?] - I wish some of the better magazines would return to the "look" of these issues... the maturity is missed.

Labelking's remarks are true for the new generation - the titles are amusing today, given the change of vernacular and innuendo.
[/b]

Which is sad - this sort of thing seems to reinforce the perception of "simpler times" in vintage ads. Whether actually true or not - I like the innocence.
blush.gif

Truly amusing is that marketing in those days was quite insidious and sometimes rather sexual which belies the common notion that people had primitive or simplistic ads back then.

I think a lot of the creative marketing was actually dominated by homosexuals so you had a lot of interesting innuendo--visual or otherwise.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Truly amusing is that marketing in those days was quite insidious and sometimes rather sexual which belies the common notion that people had primitive or simplistic ads back then.

I think a lot of the creative marketing was actually dominated by homosexuals so you had a lot of interesting innuendo--visual or otherwise.

I see your point from today's perspective. On the other hand, the censors were much more restrictive so if such a thing were true [and I'll give your remark consideration in this] then it would have to be speaking in some sort of "underground code". If it were so obvious to the general public, given the times regular consumers were more "naive" - such ads would have been banned more frequently if the innuendo "spoke" in the same light to everyone. One has to remember too, that in those days - a large percentage of the population went to church every Sunday.

If on the other hand, the innuendo of the times was was generally accepted, well then, one would then have to say it was a very tolerant time and less obsessed with the scandal such effects would create - unlike today in which the mass media swarm strangely seems completely obsessed with the discussion of innuendo - to the point that it has trickled down even to pre-schoolers.
confused.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed

I see your point from today's perspective. On the other hand, the censors were much more restrictive so if such a thing were true [and I'll give your remark consideration in this] then it would have to be speaking in some sort of "underground code". If it were so obvious to the general public, given the times regular consumers were more "naive" - such ads would have been banned more frequently if the innuendo "spoke" in the same light to everyone. One has to remember too, that in those days - a large percentage of the population in those days went to church every Sunday.

If on the other hand, the innuendo of the times was was generally accepted, well then, one would then have to say it was a very tolerant time and less obsessed with the scandal such effects would create - unlike today in which the mass media swarm strangely seems completely obsessed with the discussion of innuendo - to the point that it has trickled down even to pre-schoolers.
confused.gif

Yes, that was my point--a lot of that old advertising was quite subversive though of course an average consumer would never have "gotten it." I do tend to believe that those people who created those ads had a perverse joy in incorporating certain unconventional elements into mainstream society.

One example--not of advertising--that I can think of was Paul Lynde. His wit was kinky and quite overtly--to our society--sexual, if not homoerotic and certainly rather camp.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I know I *** loudly.
Don' go there girlfren'!!!

c3cubed

Reaction score
Yes, that was my point--a lot of that old advertising was quite subversive though of course an average consumer would never have "gotten it." I do tend to believe that those people who created those ads had a perverse joy in incorporating certain unconventional elements into mainstream society.

One example--not of advertising--that I can think of was Paul Lynde. His wit was kinky and quite overtly--to our society--sexual, if not homoerotic and certainly rather camp.

Yes, and I think the other fellow comparable was Charles Nelson Reilly on "Match Game" - and yet if one chose to think squarely, only thought of them as being eccentric and with an animated camp. Certainly the types that would have been amusing at a dinner party. But when younger - I would never have interpreted anything homosexual about either of those folks. Perhaps just a little weird but kooky.

Which goes to show anyone could choose to read innuendo into absolutely anything or any person these days, products, sounds, smells, all the tactile senses. Even the most banal items, and even if it is not actually intended.
blush.gif

c3cubed

Reaction score
Also Rip Taylor.

There it is - things come in threes.

And I only thought he was just a really strange and over the top "clown".
tounge.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh no you didn'!
no ur doin it wrong.

"Oh no you di-in't!"

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Uhmmmm... if you think people didn't get that Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor were camp... wow. They got it, trust me. That was the joke.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Uhmmmm... if you think people didn't get that Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor were camp... wow. They got it, trust me. That was the joke.

I don't believe the posts are debating that, unless they had a curious Victorian affiliation with Robert Baden Powell in their youth.
bored.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads