• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ermenegildo Zegna vs. Gritti

xspider

Reaction score
I just bought a couple of Ermenegildo Zegna shirts at a Zegna Outlet Store - They also carry Gritti which I have avoided in the past. This time I had a chat with the a Sales Guy who seemed to be quite knowledgeable and he told me that they moved the production of Gritti shirts last year from beeing produced in China to their main Zegna production facility using last seasons Ermenegildo Zegna cloth (to use their over-capacity there and to reduce stock...)

What do you thing - have you heard something similar or is this just the usual sales story? If it is true does anyone know about the quality of Gritti suites?

Thanks!

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Can't comment on shirts however I picked up a pair of Gritti pants made by Incotex in the spring. They appeared to be made to the exact same standards as the Zegna labeled Incotex.

xspider

Reaction score
Comparing the shirts I could not see any difference but I am also not an expert, anyway if this it the same for their suits they are worth a try...

xspider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
Gritti suits def. don't look like same standard as Zegna suits

That was my experience in the past as well so I didn't even look at their Gritti Suits so I don't know whether that has changed in the last year.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xspider
That was my experience in the past as well so I didn't even look at their Gritti Suits so I don't know whether that has changed in the last year.

same when I saw some couple of weeks ago when I drop by woodbury commons

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
to me, side by side Zegna mainline is clearly > Gritti

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least around here Gritti is bad value. The price at the outlet is full retail. The imperssion I get is the main reason they make the line is to keep the outlets stocked. You'll almost never find a basic blue mainline suit. So they have racks of Gritti blue suits.

acw0303

Reaction score
I know this is a very late response but i hope you get the chance to read this!! Gritti suits are infact made with all the over - produced cloth from both the previous seasons sartorial and made to measure fabrics. The only difference with the gritti is yes they are canvassed, but the suit is still made with an extremely high quality of fabrics, certainly in my experience you can find better fabrics in the gritti suits than you can in the z-zegna. The outlet stores do stock the sartorial lines however the real problem is that alot of customers who shop in the outlet are still unwilling to pay the over 1000 pound price tag that is still present on many of the sartorial suits that are sold in the outlet even with 35% discount. The sartorial plain navy, black. and charcoal grey suits are extremley difficult to find in an outlet store for the simple fact that the main stores permanatly stock the same plain navy, black and charcoal suits every season and sell them well so the company deems it pointless and a loss of money to begin selling these in the outlets although from time to time if you are lucky you can find the odd suit in the outlet which would cost you around 750 pounds as these are the cheapest sartorial suits you can buy from zegna.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i've seen a few gritti shirts but somehow i can't tell if there's any difference with the zegna line.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I
The outlet stores do stock the sartorial lines however the real problem is that alot of customers who shop in the outlet are still unwilling to pay the over 1000 pound price tag that is still present on many of the sartorial suits that are sold in the outlet even with 35% discount. The sartorial plain navy, black. and charcoal grey suits are extremley difficult to find in an outlet store for the simple fact that the main stores permanatly stock the same plain navy, black and charcoal suits every season and sell them well so the company deems it pointless and a loss of money to begin selling these in the outlets although from time to time if you are lucky you can find the odd suit in the outlet which would cost you around 750 pounds as these are the cheapest sartorial suits you can buy from zegna.

You guys are getting charged £1000 at the outlets? Yikes. You won't like this story. Summer of 2010 the local Italian outlet was blowing out ZZegna suits for €80. I've bought mainline jackets for the same price.

They do make Gritti to keep the outlets in blue suits.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simply put, that sales guy is either lying, misinformed, or both. Gritti is one of the lowest quality Zegna lines - a "value priced Zegna" line to attract outlet shoppers, quality similar or below ZZegna that is made specifically for outlets.

They may move production to a difference facility, but this does not indicate quality simply because it is now being produced in Italy. It is easier for smooth talking reps to imply quality when they suggest the facility has moved from China to Italy for the reason of improving quality.

Avoid Gritti.

XXX > Mainline ≥ Soft > Zegna Sport > ZZegna, Gritti, ItailianSuitsByNight

Kimball Scarr

Reaction score
This issue of "quality variation" and model of suit of Ermenegildo Zegna "ErmZegna" is more of a figment of imagination than real. The various "Brands" or "Labels" are all equal in quality of design, construction, and manufacture. It is what is called "Total Quality Management" of the entire company. Quality to the customer is suitability for the purpose intended. You can be assured whatever label the suit, jacket, pants, shirt or fabric it is all the same quality from the Company. Human hands which construct the materials and the finished product are no different worldwide, and are guided by the training and standards of performance dictated by the company Total Quality Management - it has for this company never been an issue. They truly give excellent value.

This began for "ErmZegna" in 1967 with the creation of a consumer manufacturing segment... per the company archive-
"1967 Manufacturing
What made the Ermenegildo Zegna Group what it is today was the decision to transform the already excellent Wool Mill in Trivero into a more complex industrial facility specializing in the production of sartorial clothing. It attained high standards of quality in the space of just a few years (1967 - 1972) and gained ground in the luxury market." [Company Archive]

The plan to be achieved that is construct or philosophical outlook from the 1960's "Mad Men Era" which was to manufacture consumer goods, whether made for high end buyers or one time buyers the at a company wide integrated same quality... the "Gritti" business philosophical construct.

The first modern entrepreneur venture was the original segment or base of this was to begin service of the traditional tailored or fitted market which had evolved over hundreds of years from small independent tailor designed and in-house produced suits on order to what is called "creazioni sartorialia", simply meaning "dress style creations of elegance" this business construct was to gain a foothold in a traditional existing marketplace existing at that time. Be that 1910 or 1967 when "ErmZegna" had grown as a mill enough to enter the clothing manufacturing business. By 1972 this established success in that marketplace. The plan to be achieved that is construct or philosophical outlook from the 1960's "Mad Men Era" which was to manufacture consumer goods, whether made for high end buyers or one time buyers the at a company wide integrated same quality.

This "Mad Men Era" construct was taking hold in business sectors from automobiles to defense industries to style houses and clothing creation. It was the modern sensibility of assured and equal quality across a corporate setting. So for "ErmZegna" after establishment of the foothold "creazioni sartorialia" was to evolve the next step - "The Gritti line was launched in 1968 and made by In.Co. di Novara [simultaneously a newly formed manufacturing and marketing company - Archive]. The Gritti was an "industrial" design applied to clothing, the precise aim being to enable the wearer to move at ease in a rapidly changing society." [Company Archive]

This is not a design aspect of the suit but a construct of a horizontal approach to society, and a product line to met that evolution. It was the realization that formality, style and social conformity was rapidly changing and clothing needed to fit those changes. Like I remember as a child in the 1950s wearing a blazer, shirt tie, and slacks as dress code to school, just as was a suit hat and leather dress shoes were the universal social and business uniform for men. But by the 1960s the hats gradually disappeared, and youth started wearing jeans to school... something unheard of a few years before. The Gritti was designed to evolve with the time, and a line of clothing was created in honor of this under that "Label".

So for "ErmZegna" the brands are in order of creation [all equal quality and value across all market segments]:
1968 Gritti,
1974 Zegna Sport line - Yachting and Special Projects
1989 Z Zegna line - Z Zegna Soft and Special Projects
1996 Su Misera,
1996 Ermenegildo Zegna,
2002 Couture, and
2002 Ermenegildo Zegna Special Products...

Over the years this various aspects of the original plan have been created looking towards different market segments. Often the Z-Zegna line is denigrated, when it is one of the biggest marketshare successes for the company: "The Zegna Soft line was launched in 1989 for young fashion conscious consumers seeking the natural look of casual clothing in classics revisited by Zegna It offered garments for less formal situations but always inspired by the canons of formal elegance. Addressing a demand for more relaxed and casual garments, the construction of Zegna Soft outerwear was lighter and simplified whilst retaining reliability. The line included a wide array of products, from outerwear to trousers, shirts and ties. In the early 90s the line evolved into Super Soft, featuring even less constructed cuts, with rounded, more informal shoulders. Both these lines were definitively replaced by Z Zegna in 2004." [Company Archive]

Many manufacturing divisions in Italy, Turkey, Spain, and Mexico have been set up and operated under the Company's single quality standard. You are getting, no matter the brand or label on your clothing it was designed, clothing constructed and manufactured to the same quality but for a different purpose and market.

Too much is made of "canvas" or "fused" construction or of material quality or whatever. The company designs and plans construction and manufacture based on the market use and wear expected. A daily wear suit for most of us we cannot afford a $20,000 suit which we recycle out of the closet after a year or six months, though only 2-5% of its useful life has been worn. In all candor the expensive suit due to the means of construction and materials used would not hold up to a typical daily wear use for several years for a mid level manager. But would that suit need to be as durable as one costing $1000 and worn every other day for 2 - 3 - 4 years in a more demanding environment such as a junior engineer, particularly when the marketing of the $1000 suit is really a $500 suit with an inflated price to given more perceived purchase value to the customer. Likely not. Or In fact the very fine $800 yard or more material likely which on a typical 44 US suit of the $20,000 would amount in pants and jacket to be 6 yards of material to make the suit suit would not hold up the the wear expected of the cheaper suit, taking 6 yards of $200 yard fabric. But for every $20,000 suit 10,000 $1000/$500 suits are sold and used.

The man who can afford the expensive suit gives not consideration to ultimate durability that the less fortunate man gives. But the goal is to dress each equally well with equal quality of design, construction and manufacture. Though those would vary in trade off for use intended. Buy what you can afford... and know you have a good deal if it fits well first and second looks good in wearing it and it lasts long enough for you to afford the next. Only worthless lame snobs will hold that against you. Rich men will know and judge you on your sense and efforts to compete are a non sequitur to them... a common man cannot! That all said, if you run onto an used expensive suit for a few pennies on the dollar, and you have the money it is no harm to pretend a little an innocent vicarious trill!

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This issue of "quality variation" and model of suit of Ermenegildo Zegna "ErmZegna" is more of a figment of imagination than real. The various "Brands" or "Labels" are all equal in quality of design, construction, and manufacture. It is what is called "Total Quality Management" of the entire company. Quality to the customer is suitability for the purpose intended. You can be assured whatever label the suit, jacket, pants, shirt or fabric it is all the same quality from the Company. Human hands which construct the materials and the finished product are no different worldwide, and are guided by the training and standards of performance dictated by the company Total Quality Management - it has for this company never been an issue. They truly give excellent value.

This began for "ErmZegna" in 1967 with the creation of a consumer manufacturing segment... per the company archive-
"1967 Manufacturing
What made the Ermenegildo Zegna Group what it is today was the decision to transform the already excellent Wool Mill in Trivero into a more complex industrial facility specializing in the production of sartorial clothing. It attained high standards of quality in the space of just a few years (1967 - 1972) and gained ground in the luxury market." [Company Archive]

The plan to be achieved that is construct or philosophical outlook from the 1960's "Mad Men Era" which was to manufacture consumer goods, whether made for high end buyers or one time buyers the at a company wide integrated same quality... the "Gritti" business philosophical construct.

The first modern entrepreneur venture was the original segment or base of this was to begin service of the traditional tailored or fitted market which had evolved over hundreds of years from small independent tailor designed and in-house produced suits on order to what is called "creazioni sartorialia", simply meaning "dress style creations of elegance" this business construct was to gain a foothold in a traditional existing marketplace existing at that time. Be that 1910 or 1967 when "ErmZegna" had grown as a mill enough to enter the clothing manufacturing business. By 1972 this established success in that marketplace. The plan to be achieved that is construct or philosophical outlook from the 1960's "Mad Men Era" which was to manufacture consumer goods, whether made for high end buyers or one time buyers the at a company wide integrated same quality.

This "Mad Men Era" construct was taking hold in business sectors from automobiles to defense industries to style houses and clothing creation. It was the modern sensibility of assured and equal quality across a corporate setting. So for "ErmZegna" after establishment of the foothold "creazioni sartorialia" was to evolve the next step - "The Gritti line was launched in 1968 and made by In.Co. di Novara [simultaneously a newly formed manufacturing and marketing company - Archive]. The Gritti was an "industrial" design applied to clothing, the precise aim being to enable the wearer to move at ease in a rapidly changing society." [Company Archive]

This is not a design aspect of the suit but a construct of a horizontal approach to society, and a product line to met that evolution. It was the realization that formality, style and social conformity was rapidly changing and clothing needed to fit those changes. Like I remember as a child in the 1950s wearing a blazer, shirt tie, and slacks as dress code to school, just as was a suit hat and leather dress shoes were the universal social and business uniform for men. But by the 1960s the hats gradually disappeared, and youth started wearing jeans to school... something unheard of a few years before. The Gritti was designed to evolve with the time, and a line of clothing was created in honor of this under that "Label".

So for "ErmZegna" the brands are in order of creation [all equal quality and value across all market segments]:
1968 Gritti,
1974 Zegna Sport line - Yachting and Special Projects
1989 Z Zegna line - Z Zegna Soft and Special Projects
1996 Su Misera,
1996 Ermenegildo Zegna,
2002 Couture, and
2002 Ermenegildo Zegna Special Products...

Over the years this various aspects of the original plan have been created looking towards different market segments. Often the Z-Zegna line is denigrated, when it is one of the biggest marketshare successes for the company: "The Zegna Soft line was launched in 1989 for young fashion conscious consumers seeking the natural look of casual clothing in classics revisited by Zegna It offered garments for less formal situations but always inspired by the canons of formal elegance. Addressing a demand for more relaxed and casual garments, the construction of Zegna Soft outerwear was lighter and simplified whilst retaining reliability. The line included a wide array of products, from outerwear to trousers, shirts and ties. In the early 90s the line evolved into Super Soft, featuring even less constructed cuts, with rounded, more informal shoulders. Both these lines were definitively replaced by Z Zegna in 2004." [Company Archive]

Many manufacturing divisions in Italy, Turkey, Spain, and Mexico have been set up and operated under the Company's single quality standard. Your are no matter the brand or label on your clothing it was designed, constructed and manufactured to the same quality but for a different purpose and market.

Too much is made of "canvas" or "fused" construction or of material quality or whatever. The company designs and plans construction and manufacture based on the market use and wear expected. A daily wear suit for most of use we cannot afford a $20,000 suit which we recycle out of the closet after a year or six months, though only 2-5% of its useful life has been worn. In all candor the expensive suit due to the means of construction and materials used would not hold up to a typical daily wear use for several years for a mid level manager. But would that suit need to be as durable as one costing $1000 and worn every other day for 2 - 3 - 4 years in a more demanding environment such as a junior engineer, particularly when the marketing of the $1000 suit is really a $500 suit with an inflated price to given more perceived purchase value to the customer. Likely not. Or In fact the very fine $800 yard or more material likely which on a typical 44 US suit of the $20,000 would amount in pants and jacket to be 6 yards of material to make the suit suit would not hold up the the wear expected of the cheaper suit, taking 6 yards of $200 yard fabric. But for every $20,000 suit 10,000 $1000/$500 suits are sold and used.

The man who can afford the expensive suit gives not consideration to ultimate durability that the less fortunate man gives. But the goal is to dress each equally well with equal quality of design, construction and manufacture. Though those would vary in trade off for use intended. Buy what you can afford... and know you have a good deal if it fits well first and second looks good in wearing it and it lasts long enough for you to afford the next. Only worthless lame snobs will hold that against you. Rich men will know and judge you on your sense and efforts to compete are a non sequitur to them... a common man cannot! That all said, if you run onto an used expensive suit for a few pennies on the dollar, and you have the money it is no harm to pretend a little an innocent vicarious trill!

Seriously? Don't you have a corpse to raise?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads