• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ermenegildo zegna versus Canali M2M

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
It does sound like the R30 program that you got. If you go Zegna MTM I'd go to a boutique as they will give you a 20% discount if you ask.

If they didn't start work on your suit yet I can't see why they wouldn't give you a refund.

they never mentioned r30..
they only mentioned MTM.

the factory in italy is closed for summer..
so no work has been done, i placed the order on saturday.

their receipt does not specify that they give refunds, just exchanges or a credit note..

anyways...sorry for all the questions i dont have any experience wiht M2M as is obvious!

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hi all..
sorry to revive this thread but did'nt want to start a new one.

i just want to make sure i cover off the best M2M suit options in London, so far i have:

Canali: £1100+: does not seem like a true M2M, they seem to finda suit that fits well and make adjustments as needed but not a ton of measurements taken unless you push for it.

E Zegna: £1300+: get measured up by a tailor at Zega (apparently the tailor at London store has been with Zegna 20+ years)

Prada: £1200+: have not explored this service fully. suits may be made by Belvest (hard to get info in store on makers). not sure how experienced measurement staff/tailor is but suits are a nice cut

also, i cant find a ton of info on M2M shirts...would you recommend any of the above? or should i go a completely different route for the shirts..
any other options much appreciated!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
hi all..
sorry to revive this thread but did'nt want to start a new one.

i just want to make sure i cover off the best M2M suit options in London, so far i have:

Canali: £1100+: does not seem like a true M2M, they seem to finda suit that fits well and make adjustments as needed but not a ton of measurements taken unless you push for it.

E Zegna: £1300+: get measured up by a tailor at Zega (apparently the tailor at London store has been with Zegna 20+ years)

Prada: £1200+: have not explored this service fully. suits may be made by Belvest (hard to get info in store on makers). not sure how experienced measurement staff/tailor is but suits are a nice cut

also, i cant find a ton of info on M2M shirts...would you recommend any of the above? or should i go a completely different route for the shirts..
any other options much appreciated!

Charvet in Paris for your shirts

tj100

Reaction score
I did a Zegna MTM earlier in the year, and if you're looking for a lot of measurements to be taken, it's probably not the right solution. They basically take an OTR suit and the tailor makes several 'adjustment' measurements. They're really measuring delta from OTR, and building the suit based on that. From a 'fit' perspective, I don't think it was any different from buying OTR and having a decent tailor make alterations.

The advantage to the service was the ability to select fabric and mix-and-match some elements. In my case, I prefer the cut of the milano jacket, and the Roma trousers - so that's how they made mine.

Bottom line, if you're looking at Su Misura for a superior fit, I wouldn't do it, but if you're looking to get a cloth or combination not available OTR, it may be the best route.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I did a Zegna MTM earlier in the year, and if you're looking for a lot of measurements to be taken, it's probably not the right solution. They basically take an OTR suit and the tailor makes several 'adjustment' measurements. They're really measuring delta from OTR, and building the suit based on that. From a 'fit' perspective, I don't think it was any different from buying OTR and having a decent tailor make alterations.

The advantage to the service was the ability to select fabric and mix-and-match some elements. In my case, I prefer the cut of the milano jacket, and the Roma trousers - so that's how they made mine.

Bottom line, if you're looking at Su Misura for a superior fit, I wouldn't do it, but if you're looking to get a cloth or combination not available OTR, it may be the best route.

hello..
very interesting. the sales person in the london store made it sound like a lot of measurements would be taken ..and that i woudl have a couple meetingw ith their tailor.
i'm guessing the Zegna M2M experience varies widely from store to store though..

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How the store presents/represents it to you is unique to each store. What happens at the factory is the same.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
How the store presents/represents it to you is unique to each store. What happens at the factory is the same.

Well said. They sales person can take a million measurements but that doesn't mean the factory will even look at them (other than the ones they care for).

lovelux2010

Reaction score
agreed!

well i dunno about M2M anymore..all so confusing..
how about belvest in venice?

or other london options where you think the factory will look at measurments

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Simple question. What are you trying to accomplish?

Your answer may lead to some guidance here to more options for you.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hi despos..

basically, i want to have some classic suits that fits me well (a lighter wool for spring and a heavier wool for autumn winter) in a solid charcoal grey or solid dark blue. also needa tux but one step at a time (classic tuxes have masive shoulders that do not suit me)

i am short (5'7) and relatively slim (145 pounds), the vast majority of classic suits from the likes of canali/zegna etc look VERY big on me. granted, i found a canali neopolitan style suit that looks good..but still..not quite a good as i woudl like for £900

the most flattering silouette on me is one that is towards a slimmer silouette with little or no shoulder padding, and slim trousers, in a "short" fitting. i look more like a man in this silouette, as opposed to a typical suit from a traditional maker in which i look like a boy in a mans suit.

fits from some designers are closer to what i want (prada suits look good one me, i dont like uber slim like dior as i'm not skinny enough)..but prada are half canvassed only.i'm set on fully canvassed. corneliani shoudlers are quite wide on me in case that gets suggested.YSL look nice on me..but again half canvassed

need suits for weddings/important meetings/etc

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
They're really measuring delta from OTR

Do they take vega and gamma into consideration as well?

rlx

Reaction score
I've never done Canali MTM (only OTR), but have a number of Zegna MTM suits. I purchased them at my local haberdasher during trunk shows. Measurments are taken by two gentlemen from Zegna. I am between a 38R and a 38S. A 38R jacket is shortened slightly, the jacket waist brought in a bit and the shoulder worked. I've been pleased with the final product. I've had less pleasant MTM experiences with different shops and different makers. I've attributed that to the person doing the tweaking. Perhaps I've been wrong, but it's always made sense to me.

stylomilo

Reaction score
1. A few of the Row Tailors ( Huntsman, Gieves & Hawkes etc ) offer MTM service.
2. Many of the MTM services claim to offer the convenience of easy ordering after the first suit is completed.

This is incorrect & a fallacy at best. Most MTM suits are made from an existing block. If the block pattern changes , so does the suit. It is safer to re-measure & have the current block fitted each time to ensure a proper fit & the aesthetics of the current block design.

I had an MTM jacket which I like the fit & design . It had a low 3 roll 2 button stance & fitted me perfectly . 2 to 3 years later I ordered a full suit . The fitter took out my previous measurements & updated it without informing me that the design based on the previous block was no longer available. What came back was a jacket with a higher button stance with a different fit . Whilst they manage to resolve the issues with the fit after numerous alterations, it wasn't really what I was looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads