• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments S/S 09

Willy Nilly

Reaction score
I like the Workaday oxfords. Tried them on @ EG Tokyo. Should have purchased but was choking on price + exchange ~ $275+. Fit for me was similar to EGBD's.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
David,

I have not ordered it ......Yet! I'll let everyone know when we do.

Originally Posted by timpoblete
Gary, Mauro, or any other affiliates who read this thread, any chance you'll be getting the SS09 Workaday line?

Oxnard

Reaction score
WORKADAY OXFORDS
eg_09bdshirt.jpg
1226045048-739682_2b.jpg

I gotta say, I am pretty dissapointed that the workaday oxfords have the same short button placket, high side split seams that the EG 19th century shirts have. Personally the short placket makes it look blousy untucked, and it causes the shirt to untuck itself quickly when I do try to tuck it in. If it weren't for the short placket I would have bought tons of those 19th century shirts (as well as these oxfords) as I love everything else about them
frown.gif

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
WORKADAY OXFORDS
eg_09bdshirt.jpg
1226045048-739682_2b.jpg

I gotta say, I am pretty dissapointed that the workaday oxfords have the same short button placket, high side split seams that the EG 19th century shirts have. Personally the short placket makes it look blousy untucked, and it causes the shirt to untuck itself quickly when I do try to tuck it in. If it weren't for the short placket I would have bought tons of those 19th century shirts (as well as these oxfords) as I love everything else about them
frown.gif

I could not agree more. I bought my first EG shirt at Barney's blow out end of last year (a single needled banded collar) and was stoked when I first got it as construction and quality were money. However, when I put the shirt on, I was extremely dissapointed with it for the same reasons you just pointed out. I really wanted to make it work, but it didn't happen. As much as I've wanted to buy EG shirts as well, I've turned away every time. Ah well, I'll keep enjoying the pics.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I could not agree more. I bought my first EG shirt at Barney's blow out end of last year (a single needled banded collar) and was stoked when I first got it as construction and quality were money. However, when I put the shirt on, I was extremely dissapointed with it for the same reasons you just pointed out. I really wanted to make it work, but it didn't happen. As much as I've wanted to buy EG shirts as well, I've turned away every time. Ah well, I'll keep enjoying the pics.
You should check out the Engineered Garments workshirts, as well as the classic shirts. I vehemently love the workshirts, I muss have five or so now. The workshirt is a very different fit from the shirt you mentioned. Also, check out Woolrich Woolen Mills, its another brand by the same designer of EG that also has fantastic quality. They make a bunch of different kinds of shirts, I am sure between the two you can find something that fits you well.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone educate us on why the 19th BD Shirt has the features that it does:
- the high placket
- the high side seams,
- button positions,
- pleats at the gauntlet,
- etc?
I've read from several sources that have talked to EG that there are reasons, but nobody's ever listed them down.

nairb49

Reaction score
Due to the factors, I exclusively wear the 19th century shirts untucked, which takes away their versatility I suppose, but we all have enough clothes/shirts to manage tucked/untucked don't we??
smile.gif

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Based on 19th Century details. Then, all pants were long rise so the problem of becoming untucked never happened. The gathered detail on the cuff, the high sides, all inspirations from that era. For Daiki, it's all about details like this that inspires his collection. History repeats itself when it comes to fashion and in the case of EG sometimes they are unadulterated.

Originally Posted by timpoblete
Can anyone educate us on why the 19th BD Shirt has the features that it does:
- the high placket
- the high side seams,
- button positions,
- pleats at the gauntlet,
- etc?
I've read from several sources that have talked to EG that there are reasons, but nobody's ever listed them down.

wiru

Reaction score
Black Fleece oxfords have a lot of the same details, fwiw. Though they are much longer and can only be worn tucked in.

The high placket is kind of annoying. I'm always worried about flashing some belly button.

ninja07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
i must own those oxfords!!!

Yes those Oxfords look like they fit much better. The top button (not the topmost at the neck but the first one below) looks way better than my Workshirt when left in open position. I leave this unbuttoned and find myself trying to pull the open neckline closer all the time.

ninja07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiru
^^ Yes it is. Funny since the scarf is apparently SS's favorite thing about it. I like the sihlouette but agree about the shoes. Would make more sense with a pair of Tricker's or something.

agreed on the scarf and i aslo think SS is a real scarf freak i observed....and for that matter cant comprehend the use of scarves as a fashion accessory either. Yeah trickers would be ok too but kinda like those bucks on its own too. anyone knows what are they?

Oldboy

Reaction score
Any other stockists carrying the indigo bedford? I saw they had it up on Hejfina, but all they have left is a medium.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads